SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HK93 mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK93 mags Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted
Considering an HK93. It’s already been fired so I have every intention of playing with a new toy. Is there an alternative to the HK factory mags. Searched the forum. Searched CDNN and a few others. Not finding much. Any suggestions?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can look here.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...amps-Loader-c156.htm

I’m familiar with the Turkish MKE clear polymer mags, but know nothing about the US made mags they list, other than the photos show they are made by ProMag, for what that’s worth.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I used to have an HK33K clone.

Grabbed magazines where ever I could. The German steel magazines have always been expensive, 60+ a pop. I had 40s, 30s, 25s and a couple 20s. The aluminum 40s were relatively easy to find, but hard to accommodate in standard sized mag pouches.

A quick search for MKE mags turned up none in stock from the usual sources. They look good, like SIG 550 magazines, but I've never seen one in person. My HK33K clone was long gone before MKE showed up on the US market.

RobertG has new production 30s, but the price is not for the faint of heart.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
RobertG has new production 30s, but the price is not for the faint of heart.

DAMN!! Just saw the price.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HK93 has a 1 in 12 twist right? Between that and the magazines I'd look at a different rifle.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The minute you say HK and rifle you better not be price sensitive.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
MKE mags from Zenith if you don't mind polymer, are a cost-effective alternative.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mags for this have always been hard to find and never cheap. Rare bird all around. If you like rare shooters this is one. The butt pad is HARD plastic. Easily swapped with a rubber one for the HK21. This will make ALL the difference in making this a comfortable shooter.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I have plenty of M4s. Mostly Colt but this just came along.

It’s the retractable stock HK93A3. Always wanted one and they don’t come around often. Mid $2000s but none of the original accessories. Kicked myself in the butt for not buying the last two times I saw one available.

What do you guys think?

posted Hide Post
I’ll be honest, I’m a huge HK fanboi, having bought my first HK91 back in 1985, but of all of them, the 93 really doesn’t do much for me. The HK94/MP5 is iconic, and the HK91/G3 is an old school .308 battle rifle from back in the day when your choices were mostly limited to the HK91, FAL, or M1A/M14. But the HK93 always suffered poorly in comparison to the AR for me, being heavy, having poorer ergos, lacking a last round BHO, and having a high optics sightline to clear the diopters. Also, the retractable stock versions are fairly uncomfortable to shoot. It doesn’t compare well to other 5.56 guns, even those available back in the day. Although I have a 93A2 for my collection, it’s probably my least favorite HK rifle.

But, if it’s something you are interested in, go for it.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I have plenty of M4s. Mostly Colt but this just came along.

It’s the retractable stock HK93A3. Always wanted one and they don’t come around often. Mid $2000s but none of the original accessories. Kicked myself in the butt for not buying the last two times I saw one available.

What do you guys think?

The HK93 (fullsize) never interested me. It was a 7.62x51 sized and weighted battle rifle that shot 5.56. The HK33K and HK53 always made more sense.

But if you are trained on the M16/M4 manual of arms, the HK93 will be awkward in a number of ways. Lack of a last-round bolt-hold-open is one, also the magazine release on the side of the receiver is made for people with fingers a mile long. HK33s came with paddle releases, but the HK93s did not. The original A3 stocks were cool looking but not very comfortable or as adjustable as today's M4 stocks.

If you're looking for a collector's piece, sure, but if you're looking for a shooter, there are more comfortable and lighter guns out there.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I’ve got some thinking to do.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Promags are $15 and actually work
I have a C93 clone, and have no issues with them

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Promags are $15 and actually work

This is a sequence of words I can honestly say I have never seen in my life. So are the HK93 mags ProMags even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought the ProMags for range use and they do work. They come in 30 and 20 round configuration also.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/pr...olymer-magazine.html

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
If anyone here thinks HK magazines are expensive, you need to price Valmet magazines. That will give you a new perspective.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I’ll be honest, I’m a huge HK fanboi, having bought my first HK91 back in 1985, but of all of them, the 93 really doesn’t do much for me. The HK94/MP5 is iconic, and the HK91/G3 is an old school .308 battle rifle from back in the day when your choices were mostly limited to the HK91, FAL, or M1A/M14. But the HK93 always suffered poorly in comparison to the AR for me, being heavy, having poorer ergos, lacking a last round BHO, and having a high optics sightline to clear the diopters. Also, the retractable stock versions are fairly uncomfortable to shoot. It doesn’t compare well to other 5.56 guns, even those available back in the day. Although I have a 93A2 for my collection, it’s probably my least favorite HK rifle.

But, if it’s something you are interested in, go for it.

It's been 3-5 years ago I picked up a C93P (actually a HK53 with a Century receiver) I got a good one (except for the finish). With my registered sear it's my favorite.

quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan: If anyone here thinks HK magazines are expensive, you need to price Valmet magazines. That will give you a new perspective.

Ditto that ... Remember the days during the ban when all standard mags (over 10 rounds) were expensive ... These mags never came down in price. A 30rnd is still $100+, 15rounders even more!

The Valmet tube folder is one I regretted passing on 30+ years ago and while recovering from surgery this one came up, with the original box and I bought it. The only things it didn't come with are the cheese-grater handguard and a bayonette ... I found a nice bayo for it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI think you can get a “clipped and pinned” lower relatively cheap to swap out. And it will have the ambi mag release like the hk33/mp5. Check hkparts.

Posts: 267 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
FYI think you can get a “clipped and pinned” lower relatively cheap to swap out. And it will have the ambi mag release like the hk33/mp5. Check hkparts.

The C&P lowers have nothing to do with getting the paddle mag release. C&P lowers simply have dummy ends of pins glued to the ears to make it look like it’s a pushpin lower, and the front modified to fit the semi lower, but the solid shelf on the semi receiver is unmodified, and that’s what prevents the installation of the factory paddle mag release.

posted Hide Post
I had a HK93 and thought it was one of the coolest rifles in my collection. It is a tad smaller than a HK91 and similar in size to a standard AR15. I eventually sold off the majority of my collection but the HK93 is one of the guns I kinda regret selling. 100% reliable, great accuracy for a battle rifle, much cooler looking than any AR15, not cheap for an original HK and like every other HK factory magazines can be expensive. If you want one I'd say buy it!!!!!!

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post