SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ455 guru's, scope rings and trigger kit?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CZ455 guru's, scope rings and trigger kit? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I had some CZ ring on it that worked fine, but I wanted the scope farther forward. I've since added the CZ Products adapter rail to make it a Weaver style base. Now I need some rings. I tried some Weaver Grand Slam Medium for fit, but they are just not quite there for bolt clearance. They measure about 4mm from base to saddle, so I need at least an 8-10mm height for comfortable clearance. I was looking at a cantilever type mount, but besides the looks, I'd rather not spend $140.

Next, I'm trying to decide between the Yo Dave kit, a different spring only, or the Rifle Basics kit. I think it was recommended on here to get the Yo Dave kit. I need it to be field use friendly though, any recommends on a the spring weight? The trigger is set pretty light now, factory setting, in fact I may want to increase it a tad. I'd like 3lbs or so.

Lastly, I'd like to thread the barrel just because and maybe put it an different stock down the road.

EDIT: I ended up with the DIProducts purchased from a memeber here, a set of Leupold Medium PRW rings to mount the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 duplex scope. It put the scope forward more and gives about 3/16-1/4 clearance between the scope and bolt handle and about 1/4" from objective to barrel. It would be perfect with a 50mm objective.

For the trigger, I'm going to leave it. It's pretty decent and so far safe. If anything I may try to increase it a touch. It does have a little over travel but I'll see if it bothers me when I can get to a 100yds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the rings as I an not using a rail.

I have a yodave kit on a 455 varmit. It includes 4 different springs that they say will range between 1/2 and 3 lbs. and some shimming tubes to remove creep. Mine didn't need the shims even the smallest one failed the bump test with a rubber mallet on the back of the stock.

I have heard of threaded 452 and match barrels being glued in a 455 but haven't heard of threading the barrel.
Opps, I have been thinking about new barrels, so when you said threaded my brain went to the wrong end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dubdubu,

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Report This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
For reference, much like you my rifle had a very light trigger pull from the feactory. I found that installing the YoDave kit (in any of the spring weight/shim floavors) resulted in a trigger that I would not consider "field safe". Meaning there wasn't enough engagement to pass the bump test. Others have had better luck, I suspect given where their trigger weight started from the factory.

As for rings I have Burris Signature high rings and that gives me enough clearance both for the objective lens and the bolt handle.

I've currently sent off my OEM barrel to be chopped to 16.5" and threaded by Class III Machineing out of Dallas. I do have a CZ threaded barrel on it right now, however at the time I bought it CZ was only making 1/2x20 barrels, so it requires an adaptor.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Report This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I run a DIP rail on VPT and both of the boys 455 Scouts. Without knowing the specs on the scope ring height will be hard to determine. In my experience with half a dozen 455's is that you'll typically have to go higher than need to clear the bolt vs the more common issue of not clearing the obj.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Just a Leupold 4.5-15x40mm scope.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have a Rifle Basix trigger in mine. Much better than the Yo Dave kit.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:

Curious as to how? I have a Yo Dave kit and while the pull is crisp and light I would not recommend it for hunting rifles, it passed the first mallet test but not the 2nd and sometimes 3rd strike.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:

Curious as to how? I have a Yo Dave kit and while the pull is crisp and light I would not recommend it for hunting rifles, it passed the first mallet test but not the 2nd and sometimes 3rd strike.

For starters it's safe with no firing pin follow. The Rifle Basix is a simple drop-in with no inletting, and will offer the widest range of pull weight/sear engagement options.

I doubt anyone recommending the Yo Dave has tried the Rifle Basix.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I used the Yo-Dave kit for my 455 and 452 - the triggers were fine out of the box but the change made them that much better - $18 for two rifle triggers, you can't go wrong with that. I see Rifle Basix run about $90 per rifle - probably worth it, but not to me.

I just swapped the springs / pins, no inletting required - then again I wasn't looking for a "just breathe on it" trigger, just wanted to cheaply drop the weight just a bit.

YMMV.

posted Hide Post
For Rings Burris Signature as well. Building out a 10/22 and ordered these rings with pickup at Walmart for 38 dollars. In and out of the store in 5 minutes.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Report This Post