SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Teaching my daughter to shoot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching my daughter to shoot Login/Join 
posted
My daughter finally got interested in shooting after I dragged the whole family to the local pistol range. She loved popping balloons with a suppressed.22 pistol. Later in the week my son and I were shooting on the front porch range and she asked to join in the fun. I talked her thru the basics and got her setup to shoot. She rang steel on her first shot.

The range is just fifty yards with four inch steel plates for now. She loved it so much I "had" to build her a training rifle of her very own. She has surprised me with how well she shoots after only two lessons. She hits over 90% of the time. Not bad for 8 years old.

Ringing steel by Glen Williams, on Flickr

Untitled by Glen Williams, on Flickr

by Glen Williams, on Flickr

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

Sounds like a good age to begin her in the hobby.

Safe gun handling and basic marksmanship are two of the many essentials that I advocate everyone knowing.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Awesome! My daughter was seven when she first shot. Seventeen now! She came up to me the other day and asked for a "robins egg blue" Glock 19. I about fell over. Where did she get this idea, I have no clue, but needless to say, dad here found one! Cool

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

I love it when youth, especially your ladies get involved into shooting. It insurers the future of our firearms rights and sports. Plus it's quality time with Papa!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You Sir, are a good dad...your daughter is blessed to have a dad like you and you are blessed to have daughter like her...rock on you two Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cutie! Keep up the good work. Cool

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Looks like she is at a low low risk of equipment failure. I hope that she continues the hobby. As stated above, we need the strength in numbers. And of course it is much preferred that a lady can stop/repel a threat.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's great!

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit taking women to the range, they kept shooting way better that me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I look forward to teaching my daughters to shoot.
My sister gave them her pink Cricket when she got a 10/22 & a Savage .243
But, I need to find a quiet range or some private property, so my girls don't have to deal with the larger rifles while learning.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for both of you.
I am taking my 12 year old granddaughter to the range this weekend (at her request) weather permitting.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. My daghtuer (now 20) is my shooting, hunting, and fishing buddy. She started early and has probably taken more bucks and turkey and caught more tarpon than I have.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
excellent! One of my daughters turns 8 this summer and she gets to learn to shoot. She's been interested in it for a while, but we said when she's 8.

I can't wait to share my hobby with her.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post