SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ar15 without a gas tube question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ar15 without a gas tube question Login/Join 
posted
While I wait for my new gas tube, out of curiosity not that I will fire it, is it a bolt action rifle at the moment?

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A gas in the face one.

"Straight pull" would be a more accurate description.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will fire by not cycle.

My Noveske with Switchblock (adjustable gas block) has 3 setting, Norm, Suppressed, and Off. Off blocks the gas from the tube and it fires but doesn't cycle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's different than having a gas block that is open because it is missing the tube.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, gas will escape like it would going down the tube, but without the tube it won't move the BCG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah agree on that, its a single shot, but I'm not sure where its going to go, like in a negative way, its high pressure hot gas.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If there's a gas block in place, wouldn't it direct the gas that would normally go back down the tube in a direction towards your face?

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
it'll blow hot gas all over the inside of your handguard.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah depending on the HG you could screw up your HG I suppose. I'd imagine the results would be most unpleasant but Ive not seen it or tried it.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not the best 'video' but looks pretty unpleasant

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=940D1IDUBXI

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
if there is no gas tube, can the the gas block be turned to block the barrel gas port? This would effectively make it a single shot and the bcg would have to be cycled to eject the case and load another round. Golly, just like a bolt gun!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard of people reinstalling the gas blocks in reverse to block the barrel hole.

On a related note, if you want to keep the gas block as is and leave the tube on, you can make it into a bolt action by installing the Kali Key. It replaces the gas key on the bolt carrier and vents the gas out the ejection port.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be a "bolt action ". Hell you probably won't realize that the gas tube is missing.

OK....OK, funny story. I built an AR15. A KISS, pencil barrel, A1 upper, standard front sight. Magpul forearm and A1 butt stock.

Well, got it together on a Wednesday, "checked" everything out and Saturday took it down the street to friends farm to sight in.

Load up, get a good sight picture and carefully pull the trigger. Bang! Good hit on target, I had already laser boar sighted it before I got there. But it didn't eject, I didn't feel the action run. Cleared the rifle and shot again. Round hit close to the first, but the same, didn't eject....after a couple of more rounds, I was sighted in, but I couldn't figure out why my new carbine wasn't working....then it hit me. I forgot the gas tube!

Never felt gas, pulling the charging handle cleared the rifle and was back to shooting, without any signs something was wrong.

I now triple check all work. But it was just a "bolt action " for all intent and purposes".

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post