SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need opinions on inexpensive auto loading shotguns.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinions on inexpensive auto loading shotguns. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I want to buy a basic, but nice, gas operated shotgun. I want to keep it under $1,000. I want to use if for clays at my gun club, shotgun plinking, and possibly some hunting in the future. I used to own a Beretta 390 and it was a good gun: light and cycled everything I put through it. So, is the newer A300 as good? Does anyone own one that can comment? Thanks.

Edit: I changed the title since I've expanded my questions to other guns

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have an A300 in Max 5 camo. It’s been flawless and I love the feel. Not high end compared to the X400 though it motivates recoil fine and the fit and finish is excellent as expected for a Beretta. I won mine at a NRA event though it was an $800 shotgun at the time. I have seen them lately though as low as $600, which is a great price IMHO.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I've been debating whether or not to increase my budget and consider the A400, or even an inertia gun like the Benelli M2 Field. But I have a hard time justifying doubling my budget for a gun that won't perform any better, and with light loads may not perform as a well (Benelli).

My Beretta 391 ran flawlessly. Another gun I am sorry to have sold. I am leaning more and more to the A300.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have an A300 and A400, as well as 20g and 12g Benelli's( Legacy and Ethos). The A300 is the best from a value perspective. Altenaltively if you want a value based inertia gun, I bought my son a Franchi in 20g and have been very happy with it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, I have a 400. but I see plenty of them at events and they seem completely fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I have the A300 Outlander synthetic that I use for sporting clays and I love it. So far it has shot any 12 gauge round I've put in it. I love it so much I bought the Beretta 1301 for tactical shotgun classes.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’m a big Beretta fan. Just picked up nice Vittoria for my wife.

However, on the A300 you buy the Beretta name But get outsourced parts to bring it down to a competitive price point.

IMHO, you can easily get better value and quality at that grade.

Remington V3 fills that bill easily.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've been researching the Remington Versa Max, too. Seems to get pretty good reviews, USA made, 3 1/2" chamber, and comes in just under $1000.

Anyone have one?

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I've been researching the Remington Versa Max, too. Seems to get pretty good reviews, USA made, 3 1/2" chamber, and comes in just under $1000.

Anyone have one?

Randy Wakeman on YouTube is a fan of the V3...which is essentially the next generation Versamax. Unless you shoot 3 1/2 often I would go with the V3 personally.

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been researching the Remington Versa Max, too. Seems to get pretty good reviews, USA made, 3 1/2" chamber

I have shot a couple of them over the years. Decent, serviceable shotguns.

I highly recommend avoiding a 3.5" chamber if you will be shooting clays. Clays loads tend to be low-powered, as it makes no sense to pound both your shoulder and the fragile clays with monster loads. The 3.5" chamber guns are notorious for poor cycling with light 2.75" clays loads.

Modern 3" loads work quite well in hunting. You should seriously consider if a 3.5" chamber is necessary for the game you intend to hunt.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I need to go play with a V3 at Bass Pro. I've been reading about it and it looks like a good prospect.

BTW, I really want a gun I can run the hell out of and not worry that I spent a fortune on it.

How are today's 11-87s? Still good guns? I know you can get them pretty cheap these days.

Also a friend swears by his Mossberg 930. Inexpensive and seem to get good reviews. Thoughts on this gun?

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Modern 3" loads work quite well in hunting. You should seriously consider if a 3.5" chamber is necessary for the game you intend to hunt.

I dont need that ability in the gun I'm looking for. I have two Benelli Super Novas that can take 3.5 inch shells.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to go play with a V3 at Bass Pro. I've been reading about it and it looks like a good prospect.

BTW, I really want a gun I can run the hell out of and not worry that I spent a fortune on it.

How are today's 11-87s? Still good guns? I know you can get them pretty cheap these days.

Also a friend swears by his Mossberg 930. Inexpensive and seem to get good reviews. Thoughts on this gun?

Looking at Basspro is fine but also consider Buds Online for competitive pricing. If you have an old 870 it will feel a lot like that on your shoulder and weighted perfectly amidships.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have a LGS that gets my business. But it doesnt stock everything I want. So I check them out other places then order from my LGS. I know Bass Pro carries the V3.

posted Hide Post
I have been using a Winchester SX3 for the last couple years and love it. It has been flawless since day one and has fed everything.

I'm not the tallest guy and this shotgun fits me perfectly. I tried a friends A300 and it shot nice, but didn't fit me as well.

Posts: 226 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I picked up a CZ 712 and it's been a good gun. 28" barrel and 3" chamber. Bought it used for I think $350, taken it hunting a couple times now. It likes a little heavier load I think. I've only put like 5 different kinds of shells through it, everything was fine but the Fiocchi 1oz 2 3/4 #7 steel "dove" shells. It could not cycle those reliably at all, but they were really weak. My buddy even made fun of me saying how everyone's shotgun went boom but mine, it just went pfft... He ended up giving me some of his Winchester ammo and it was much better dove hunt from there on.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe look at the Benelli Montefeltro. A great shotgun and value, imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the CZ 712. I have the "Utility" model and love it. Even came with a hard case!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Most of my autos are beretta and benelli. A300, 391, m2.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Cast a wide net. Once narrowed down look to see what Armslist & even Gunbroker have to offer.

I helped a buddy find a SBE2 on Armslist, about $400 below the store price. A few 100 rounds with most is hardly broken in.

In this age of tacti-cool, shotguns often get little attention. Can hardly give away that old pump at a gun show.

After Christmas is my favorite time to gun shop.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post