SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need opinions on inexpensive auto loading shotguns.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinions on inexpensive auto loading shotguns. Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

While shooting 3 gun, I used a Benelli M2, but a lot of my fellow competitors used a Remington 1100, which would come in just under your budget limit. I've never shot an 1100, so the advice of others in this thread might be better to follow, but the 1100 is one to consider.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the CZ 711/720. Great guns for the money and you won’t feel bad if they get a little banged up.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 1100's
If you want lightweight, Benelli or Franchi

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 1187's
I passed up on a police trade in a few years back, should have grabbed it.

Nice, reliable, and can take a beating!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you're open to used guns you can come in well under your budget. There are plenty of nice used 1100s in the $500 range. Same with the Remington 1187. The Winchester SX3 is basically the same mechanism as the gas operated Browning Maxus. Both are good guns with pros and cons. Browning's duracoat is no good but they have a speed feed like old A5s. For gas guns, the Berettas are better but they are also expensive. I have shot A400s, SX3, Maxus, and have more extensive experience with Super Black Eagle II (inertia), 1187, and 1100s. I still mostly shoot old Auto 5s though fwiw.

If you're an occasional shooter and don't need 3", then look for a nice 1100, imo. If you do want 3" capability but want a lot of gun for the money, check out 1187s. If you need it to work in nasty duck hunting weather, skip the gas guns and get a Benelli. I would probably go with the Winchester out of the other gas guns. I really like it a lot.

The biggest problem I have with most big 12 ga guns now is that they all feel clunky even if they're not heavy. The fore end is too big around, the rib is wide, the receiver is really long, etc. The Benelli is the only one that doesn't feel clunky to me personally. But that's also why I choose to shoot old A5s and 1100s. I like their proportions a lot better and they feel better and faster in hunting situations to me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've owned an 1100 in the past. Nice gun. The one I had, though, was limited to 2 3/4" inch shells. Current 1100 was fairly expensive. Not sure I want another 1100.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Correct, 1100s do not compensate for shell size so they are either-or. 11-87, I believe, was the first gas-compensating shotgun design meaning it could shoot 2 3/4" or 3". That's why the 1100 is a good option if 3" is not needed.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Time will certainly tell but, apart from the amazing wood of the venerable 1100, the V3 is the much better shotgun.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would skip the 11-87. Again, A Benelli Montefeltro is in your price range. Done deal. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 712 that I picked up on sale at Cabela's for 499.99. I've used it for trap and Sporting Clays and with target shotshells it has been 100% reliable out of the box.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a clays guy, so I don't know what makes a shotgun great for that game.

But I shot the heck out of my Benelli M2 field in 3-gun.

It cycles 1145 FPS loads with nary a hiccup.

I had gas operated shotguns in the past but I am very impressed with my first inertia gun.

I don't see myself going back to gas.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post