SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What kind of bipod would you use for this rifle... **Update:Bought an Atlas PSR**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bipod would you use for this rifle... **Update:Bought an Atlas PSR** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
My Savage is all done but she needs legs now. It has two sling studs at the front of the forearm. It weighs 12 pounds empty but it has a blind mag and will only hold 4 rounds in the mag.

I plan on using this off a bench, in prone and out in the field during hunting season. I do have a Pic rail that I can put in place of the forward sling point, so that is an option.

I've never owned a Harris, but it seems maybe this would be an ideal bipod. But there are so many models, I just don't know which one to get and which one to avoid. I'm open to an Atlas too.

It weighs the same as my M14 does that I hunt with, so I'm accustomed to the weight and it doesn't bother me.

So if this were yours, which bipod would you get?

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Harris S-BRM if you want the less expensive bipod.

Atlas if you are ok with paying more and having something a little slower, but more solid.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Harris

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Atlas is solid choice.

With my customized 1998 Savage FP10 (.308) I went with a Parker-Hale copy although I have a bunch of Harris bipods in various sizes on hand.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harris S-BRM with a Podloc is a decent bipod, and it's the first one I owned. I had up to three at one point, but I'm down to one now.

I have a handful of Atlas bipods. They work well for ARs, 22lr, and precision center fire rifles.

Atlas bipods seem flimsy to some uses, due to the inherent wobble designed into the legs. When one presses forward slightly on the bipod, bipod hop is reduced. Harris bipods are notorious for bipod hop on hard surfaces, such as benches. IMO Atlas bipods are more versatile in the field -- the legs can be angled forwards & backwards, and the legs can be weighted backwards without collapsing.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay. I'll install a Picatinny rail and drop the coin and get an Atlas. I've gone this far, I may as well go all the way.

Tony.

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Good choice on the Atlas bipod.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got my Atlas PSR yesterday. Fantastic piece of work!

I added a Picatinny rail from B&T Industries. I bought their insert kit which must be the same thing McMillan uses. Since my McMillan already had two sling studs, I reclaimed one and bored another hole for an insert and epoxied it in place.

I've also attached pics of my last bedding job. Although not noticeable, the front of the recoil lug is free-floated. I put a layer of tape over the front and sides when I bedded it.

Tony.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Atlas all the way, nice choice.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post