SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Entry level bolt gun for paper punching to 500ish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entry level bolt gun for paper punching to 500ish Login/Join 
posted
Hi all, i am looking for advice on a entry level bolt gun to start learning distance shooting 100-500 yards to start, i have a few guns in mind and would like advice, my budget is less than $500.

I plan on learning basics with an entry lever rifle then in a few years if i like it to get a tikka, they are out of my price range for this though unless someone has one for $400...

So out of these listed, what would be the best option? I like the savage the most, i also plan on about $200 for a scope unless the gun comes with an ok scope to start with...

Savage axis II xp in 6.5creedmore
Mossberg patriot in 6.5creedmore
Ruger American. In 6.5
Winchester xpr. In 6.5

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Whittaker Guns has the T3x in 6.5 CM for $489 shipped. I would save for a few weeks and purchase that instead, you’ll be kicking yourself for “saving” $50-80 otherwise.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com...uct/ss-1707201612167

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Whittaker Guns has the T3x in 6.5 CM for $489 shipped. I would save for a few weeks and purchase that instead, you’ll be kicking yourself for “saving” $50-80 otherwise.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com...uct/ss-1707201612167

And this is exactly why i posted this, $489 is in my budget, got no problem getting this!

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

And this is exactly why i posted this, $489 is in my budget, got no problem getting this!

Glad I could help! My good deed for the day Smile

Whittaker is G2G, I just bought a Tikka T3x in .260 Remington from them (ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 CM, easier to reload from .308 if needed). Rifle arrived quickly and in perfect shape.

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the Thompson Center Compass, Cabela's has it for $350 before $75 rebate:

https://www.cabelas.com/produc...on-rifle/2293102.uts

I've seen it for $300 so with the rebate, cost would put you at $260-270 including transfer.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now i have to figure out how to get my cash into my checking, my closet walk in bank is 10 hours away....

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now i have to figure out how to get my cash into my checking, my closet walk in bank is 10 hours away....

Do you have a debit card? Some ATMs let you deposit cash.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a scoped Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor for $500, it a Hunter, not an Axis.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...e-w-scope-22601.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what would be better, the savage or tikka? i have the money today for either, just have to get a counter check for my cash at my wife's bank so i can deposit my cash to my usaa then ill be good to go

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a Tikka T3. They are superior rifles.

I have not had a Savage, and people like them, but the Tikka seems a little more refined. The action is super slick, and the triggers are very good, right out of the box.

Mine was a .223 varmint weight, and it was at least a MOA rifle, even on 10 shot groups. I shot many .5MOA groups for five rounds, and threw one out to spoil the group.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
what would be better, the savage or tikka? i have the money today for either, just have to get a counter check for my cash at my wife's bank so i can deposit my cash to my usaa then ill be good to go

I’ve owned both. From an accuracy perspective, they are both neck and neck, but the Tikka has better manufacturing and better (Sako) barrels.

posted Hide Post
its settled then, ill be picking up my tikka from the pawn shop sometime next week!

now, i have a lot to learn.....

posted Hide Post
The Savage stocks feel kind of cheap and flex a fair amount, but that can be solved. The barrels on them, however, are far better than you expect for the money.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Whittaker is G2G, I just bought a Tikka T3x in .260 Remington from them (ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 CM, easier to reload from .308 if needed). Rifle arrived quickly and in perfect shape.

This is what I would do as well. I just picked up a T3x in 7mm-08. I had a TC Compass in .308 and while it was ok it just didn’t float my boat. I have a TC Venture too. It has already been sent back to TC because the left side of the barrel is touching the stock so something is off about it. Whatever gun you decide make sure you get a quality scope especially with the longer distances you’re going for.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
quote:
quote:

This is what I would do as well. I just picked up a T3x in 7mm-08 and put another on layaway with Whitaker’s in 6.5 CM. I had a TC Compass in .308 and while it was ok it just didn’t float my boat. I have a TC Venture too. It has already been sent back to TC because the left side of the barrel is touching the stock so something is off about it. Whatever gun you decide make sure you get a quality scope especially with the longer distances you’re going for.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new tx3 in 6.5 creedmore will be here tuesday!
Now, what is a good scope that'll do me well for less than $200 out to 300yds or so?

posted Hide Post
quote:
My new tx3 in 6.5 creedmore will be here tuesday!
Now, what is a good scope that'll do me well for less than $200 out to 300yds or so?

You could probably get a leupold vx2 for less than 250.00, a vx1 would be cheaper yet. They also just released the vx freedom line for about 230.00.

Right now midway has a vortex 2.5-10 (I forget have he model) for about 350.00 on close out and at that price you could get a meopta meopro which is the same tho g as the zeiss conquest was.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
sjp, any update on the new acquisition?