SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli M4 - Pistol Grip vs. Traditional Stock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli M4 - Pistol Grip vs. Traditional Stock Login/Join 
posted
Preparing to take the plunge on a Benelli M4.

Question: Any advantages/disadvantages regarding the pistol grip/tactical model vs. traditional stock model? I have never owned a shotty with a pistol grip.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Not M4 specific, but I have a Benelli Supernova that I made 922r compliant that came with a pistol grip stock (because that's what I thought I wanted). After several years of ownership and shooting I realized that what I really wanted was a traditional stock. No matter how much I tried I just couldn't get used to the pistol grip on a shotgun. YMMV but I would vote traditional.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I prefer the pistol grip on my M1S90. I prefer the regular stock on the Beretta 1301 series.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Benellis have a long LOP. I recommend trying both out to see which is more comfortable for you. I have a pre-ban Benelli M1 and M3 with the PG stock, but don’t think either is particularly comfortable. When I got a Supernova Tactical, I specifically choose the normal stock version over the PG stock version. I’m also happy with the normal stock on my FN SLP and Beretta 1301 Tactical.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I love everything about the M4. I just can't get used to the pistol grip stock it comes with. The stock is too long for me to comfortably wield. Aftermarket offerings are practically non existent for the M4.

Too bad, as I really wanted to like the M4.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have an M4. I switched to the factory field stock. I won't be switching back.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I love everything about the M4. I just can't get used to the pistol grip stock it comes with. The stock is too long for me to comfortably wield. Aftermarket offerings are practically non existent for the M4.

Too bad, as I really wanted to like the M4.
H&K-Guy

Mesa Tactical has stocks that shorten the LOP, but are still pistol grip.
https://mesatactical.com/urbin...mbsaver-12-ga-black/

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
For practical use, a traditional stock. For cool factor, sbs with the collapsible stock. However the traditional stock stoll has a long lop. Any decent gunsmith can chop it down to you're liking. I haven't gotten around to doing my sbs m1 stock yet but will eventually.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
To me, it's all about the usage. For a 3 Gun comp, or home defense, a pistol grip is a bit easier for me to use.
For 'traditional' shotgun sports or hunting, a traditional stock seems more natural for me.

If you can, try both and keep in mind your intended usage. It really will come down to your personal preference.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post

Makes it so much easier to control, especially if you have to extend around or over a barrier

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 (and everyone that has fired or drilled with my Benelli) for the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with pistol grip. Great egronomics and design (real shorter LOP)make for a quicker to shoulder longarm and maintain shoulder/high ready for an extended time if necessary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madmatt,

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The original name for the traditional stock was “pistol grip.” Jeff Cooper referred to the AK/AR type long gun stock as a “saw handle” grip, and he was no fan if the style, as evidenced by the stocks on his “scout” rifles.

The advantage of the traditional pistol grip stock is that it places the shooter’s hand closer to the center axis of the barrel. The saw handle grip acts as a longer lever arm that magnifies any rotational movement and moves the barrel a greater distance. The traditional grip reduces that effect and permits more natural control when mounting and aiming the gun. How many trap/skeet/clays shooters have saw handle grips on their shotguns? The same principle applies to foregrips on rifles. Look at shooters of AR type rifles in action competitions: The best control of the gun is achieved by grasping the handguard around the barrel directly rather than holding onto a long donkey dick that extends down vertically as we see in all the tactical equipment ads.

Vertical foregrips and the saw handle grip for the dominant hand have their advantages for some purposes, especially in tactical or quasi-tactical competition situations when the weapon must be carried or held ready for long periods, when riding in a vehicle, or shooting from awkward unusual positions, but they’re not best for fast target acquisition and accurate shooting. (And don’t attempt some things with a saw-handled shotgun that can be done with an AR type rifle.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The original name for the traditional stock was “pistol grip.”

That was my understanding also.

In the picture below the stock at the bottom is the Straight stock, while the one above it is the Pistol Grip one

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
(And don’t attempt some things with a saw-handled shotgun that can be done with an AR type rifle.)

What would those things be?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that pistol grip (saw handle) stocks on shotguns do a better job of reducing recoil and let me get faster follow up shots.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
In the picture below the stock at the bottom is the Straight stock, while the one above it is the Pistol Grip one

Yes. Thanks for those great photos. I wanted to post something to illustrate what I was referring to, but didn’t have anything readily available.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
(And don’t attempt some things with a saw-handled shotgun that can be done with an AR type rifle.)

What would those things be?

There are close quarters situations in which it’s a good idea to reduce the distance that one’s AR-type rifle barrel projects forward. That can be done by pulling the stock back up and over the shoulder or under an armpit so that one’s face is very close to the sight. It’s similar to the nose to the charging handle method of firing the gun, except even more extreme. The saw handle type grip is a definite advantage with some such techniques, but only with a very lightly-recoiling weapon. Doing that with a shotgun would be extremely dangerous.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input.

I am going to rent one and put some shot downrange prior to making a final decision.

Regardless, I will need a reduced LOP stock (12" or so).

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
My M4 wears a Mesa Tactical Urbino. The M4 was designed for a pistol grip stock from the start. While the factory one is too long, switching it to a traditional stock doesn’t do it for me. Urbino stock FTW.

This. And the Urbno allows you to mount a QD for a sling and a shell carrier on the stock. I have both as well as the riser. It’s my HD long gun.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have a strong preference for a "traditional" stock versus the more straight up and down pistol grip on shotguns.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the pistol grip helps make recoil see less because your hand is taking some of it. But PG stock often have more drop, which make recoil seem worse. So in my mind it's a wash.

To me the only thing a PG is better for is holding the gun to your shoulder one handed. After that I think they're a pain in the ass, clumsy and always in the way. I bought my first Benelli with one BECAUSE it had one (and I hadn't owned any with). A year or two later replaced it with a standard stock at considerable expense and can't see me ever buying one again.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post