SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .17 HMR Catastrophic Case Failure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 HMR Catastrophic Case Failure Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
If you came into the shop I help out at we would refuse to work on your gun regardless of what you want done to it. We just had a customer attempt to drop off a laminate 597 for work and we did just that. Too much liability if something goes sour, it may or may not but we are not going to take that chance regardless.

Gave him Remington's phone number and wished him luck.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Duly noted on all accounts for the safety aspects.

I guess I should rephrase my question. What does everyone think that the worst case scenario would be from a bolt opening while chamber pressure is too high? What is the absolute worst failure imaginable, and what would it look like? How would that failure happen? Do you think the receiver could detonate? Bolt fly back through your head?

An uncontrolled explosion inches from the face is not something to invite. Paul Mauser, the great firearms designer, lost an eye because a rifle action either failed or fired out of battery, and I'm certain you can find other folks who have been injured or permanently maimed by catastrophic failures.

Aforementioned shop has a side by side barrel that was fired with an obstruction in the barrel on display. Separated the barrels, split one barrel, peeled the rib up into an arc. Severely injured the shooter's hand. I'd call that serious enough.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post