SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CMP custom shop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP custom shop Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all_

Has anyone used the custom shop at CMP? I'm considering sending my M1 Garand back to them for a full inspection and report, possibly a trigger job.
I'm dying to shoot my rifle and I no longer have a trustworthy local gunsmith to check it out before firing it for the first time.
Had I known that they would have done the inspection for $100 before sending me the rifle, I would have done it then, no question.
Any experiences to share?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
No I have not but I've always heard very good things about the people at the CMP. They should know their way around an M1 like few others.

OBTW, I just picked up an M1 Garand last eve, local private sale from a guy with a few. This one is a 1953 H&R in rather good shape, all H&R. It's not like I NEED one, just such an iconic rifle. The younger Son has a growing mil-surp collection, this fits right in.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
You will not be sorry sending it to them. No one has more experience working with that era of firearms.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
may want to check the CMP forum and see if there is anyone local to you recommended,
vs having to send it back

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all_

Has anyone used the custom shop at CMP? I'm considering sending my M1 Garand back to them for a full inspection and report, possibly a trigger job.
I'm dying to shoot my rifle and I no longer have a trustworthy local gunsmith to check it out before firing it for the first time.
Had I known that they would have done the inspection for $100 before sending me the rifle, I would have done it then, no question.
Any experiences to share?

Bruce

No experience with the CMP custom shop but if you originally received the rifle from the CMP then it should have already passed a safety inspection prior to being sent to you.

As far as a trigger job, the trigger group can be removed and sent to a competent Garand gunsmith thus saving a few dollars over shipping the entire rifle.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
CMP states that the rifle needs to be checked by a competent gunsmith before firing. They only measure muzzle and throat, not headspace or anything else. I missed the fact that they offered it as an "add on service" when ordering the rifle.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just shoot it. I have 3 Garands, 3 Carbines, and 3 M1917s, all from the CMP. I have never had a gunsmith take a look at them. Odds are a local guy would not know what he was looking for anyway. Look it over real good yourself and then go have fun. Pretty sure that inspection stuff is just the CMP's lawyers talking.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
Just shoot it. I have 3 Garands, 3 Carbines, and 3 M1917s, all from the CMP. I have never had a gunsmith take a look at them. Odds are a local guy would not know what he was looking for anyway. Look it over real good yourself and then go have fun. Pretty sure that inspection stuff is just the CMP's lawyers talking.

some local guys have the tools and training to gauge and work on them,,, Cool

actually we are fortunate to have a handful of qualified garand guys in this area

as far as shooting it, I would not have any problem shooting a fresh from the CMP rifle, after I cleaned it and lubed it correctly

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post