SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Chinese Type 81
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Type 81 Login/Join 
Picture of Newf
posted
No AK47's for us north of the 49th, so this is as close as it gets - a new manufacture Chinese Type 81 (and more of a development of the SKS than an AK type), but hey it's looks close lol. A quick initial once-over; all mags worked fine with BHO on all. The rifle itself is nice and solid, functioned fine with snap caps, and all seems as it should be. The folder locks up nice and tight, no wiggle, and no major dents or dings anywhere I can see. Bluing seems a bit thin, and the wood finish is pretty basic, but not unexpected for what this is. Needs a good cleaning then hope to get it out to the range to put it through it's paces in the next few days. The mismatched cheek piece will be replaced with a new set sent out gratis by vendor when next shipment arrives.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Very cool. It's a shame we can't get them here.

I'm a fan of the Vz. 58, which is a similar type of "SKSish rifle in AK-style clothing".

Can't wait to hear your range report.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Very cool. It's a shame we can't get them here.

I'm a fan of the Vz. 58, which is a similar type of "SKSish rifle in AK-style clothing".

Can't wait to hear your range report.

VZ58, and various knock-off's, are available to us too but at a chunk more $$$. Plus this one looks to not be as widely available, so may be a bit more of an oddity - won't say collectable LOL, but I like things that are a bit different. Will be sure and follow up with that range report.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Czechpoint brought in the same version of the Vz58 (18" barrel and all) that they import up there. Still expensive as all get-out, though.

I still wish we could get in the 81, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Agree with RogueJSK, cool rifle and wish we could get one here.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's so cool. As others said, wish we were able to get that here. I've had various SKS, VZ58 (Century version) And Ak's, would love to have that rifle. Does the bolt stay open after the last round? I wish that was the case with an AK.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
That's so cool. As others said, wish we were able to get that here. I've had various SKS, VZ58 (Century version) And Ak's, would love to have that rifle. Does the bolt stay open after the last round? I wish that was the case with an AK.

Yes, last round BHO with these, 2 position gas regulator (for grenade launcher), short stroke gas piston design(ala SKS) and comes in either folding or fixed stock. AK mags aren't a direct fit either, but with a little dremeling (plastic PMags are particularly easy) they can be made to fit - but without BHO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:

Yes, last round BHO with these, 2 position gas regulator (for grenade launcher), short stroke gas piston design(ala SKS) and comes in either folding or fixed stock. AK mags aren't a direct fit either, but with a little dremeling (plastic PMags are particularly easy) they can be made to fit - but without BHO.

Damn, That is fantastic. Nice Rifle.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Love that barrel.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
First major winter storm of the season moving in, so no shooting for awhile, but did strip it down for a good cleaning and a few detail pics: