SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand video Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I finally got around to publishing a video about my M1 Garand build. My son decided to crash the first half of the video.

Enjoy!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Great vid, cute kid!
Now I’ve got the itch to take my ‘43 out and put some rounds down range.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you benny6 for a great video. The rifle is a sweet heart. I've never shot one in the .308 chamber.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a saying in Drag racing ,
Performance equals $, how fast do you want to go ?

Is it the same in M1 building ,
if a guy offered you another $1,000.00
could you build a rifle that would group a lot tighter?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
There is a saying in Drag racing ,
Performance equals $, how fast do you want to go ?

Yes

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like a walnut stock as well. I really couldnt hear on my phone the name of the stock maker. Boyds made them for many years and thats what I added to my HRA. The Boyds were not all to expensive. Some day I would like another M1 but the stock needs that awsome red color stain Ive seen years back on a M1A Match rifle. Lubs the red coler.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:

Yes

With the caveat that better "stuff" is not a replacement for skill. Even if you throw more money at it, you could end up with a rifle that is capable of greater accuracy than the shooter himself is actually capable of.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:

Yes

With the caveat that better "stuff" is not a replacement for skill. Even if you throw more money at it, you could end up with a rifle that is capable of greater accuracy than the shooter himself is actually capable of.

just like drag racing, (as bendable mentioned)

you can built the best car on the track, but if the person with the slowest reaction time is in the seat, the car will likely not win,

ditto a Garand or M14,

takes a different approach from an AR, as far as hold, and of course the fundametals (needed for any gun or comp)
as well as the right barrel, action tuning, bedding, proper sling technique etc etc,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My earlier reply was written on my phone, hence the one word reply. Yes, more $$$ will get your a more accurate rifle, but since the M1 is mostly an iron sight only rifle, with few exceptions, finding someone who can shoot it to it's full potential is as difficult as it is to find someone who can make it shoot better.

I'm giddy if I can hold 1.5" at 100 yards with iron sights, even though the rifle is capable of 3/4" with a scope.

Something I've noticed with shooting M14's and M1's is that it does make you a better shooter over time. It exposes flaws in your shooting technique. Once you cross over to AR's, I believe that experience allows you to shoot an AR better than if you hadn't.

Also, the stock is a Minelli stock from Stocky's Stocks.

Tony.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good accuracy for an M1 Garand. Milspec for the 30-06 M1 was 4 MOA, NM accuracy was 3 MOA. Some people think the 308 shoots inside 30-06, some say it's the builder.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Beautiful build, Tony.

Nice day with your son, too.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! It's definitely one of the classiest firearms I have. I have a feeling my son will be a co-star for me in the coming years. We went hunting this past weekend and he was bummed he was too young to pack a rifle. Looks like I need to build him a deer rifle in the coming years. I don't know if I want to go as small as 223 or if I should start him off on the 243. I think the 308 is too much gun for now unless I load him up with some 125 grain loads.

Tony.