SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I bought a Barrett .50- call me crazy, or give me some tips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a Barrett .50- call me crazy, or give me some tips Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I have absolutely no practical use for this, but I’ve been intrigued for quite some time. I recently liquidated some extra guns, with the thought of flipping that money into a Barrett, and lo and behold a deal popped up from Kentucky Gun Company. M82A1, with a Vortex Vioer PST Gen II 5-25x50, and the Pelican Case, $7300.

Picked it up today, and 200 rounds of ammo arrived yesterday. Now what?

I’m in south Louisiana, not out west, so long range access is limited. I might have a 600 yd range to sight it in. Any tips or tricks? Experience?

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Now what?

Choot it!!

Congrats and welcome to the club!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a place you can hog hunt

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My only experience is 6 rounds through a M99 with a (I think) fixed 10x scope.

Less recoil than I expected, but the >20lb weight & huge brake helped with that.
Have had more discomfort from repeated 12ga than I got from the 50BMG.

It's been a while since I've seen one for sale, but the last M99 I saw was listed for just shy of $10k ($9,999 IIRC)

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF you are approached by a Mi-24 Hind while on a ridge, aim for the rotor mast. (Movie reference)

I've seen people take down trees with a barrel before. A good backstop, like a mountain would do the trick. It is probably a little big for alligator hunting too.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
IF you are approached by a Mi-24 Hind while on a ridge, aim for the rotor mast. (Movie reference)

I've seen people take down trees with a barrel before. A good backstop, like a mountain would do the trick. It is probably a little big for alligator hunting too.

My wife's former boss had a Ferret 50BMG
He had a photo (long gone from my phone by now) of a tree he shot with it on his property. Probably a 6-8in pine tree & it split the trunk.

As far as backstops, we used the above guy's property to shoot the M99 & used a large hill for the backstop & only had about 400yds to shoot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
You're CRAZY!Razz

But enjoy the (expensive) fun!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You’re crazy but what a nice rifle. Enjoy it.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion is to start saving money for more ammo Big Grin

I've gotten to fire my friend's Barrett several and it always surprises me with how little recoil it has.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it doesn't seem rational but feeding my barrett has been cheaper generally (not counting this latest nonesense) than for example my .338lm and often my .300WM. Recoil is not at all a problem, just don't have anyone nearby to the sides of that brake...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have shot a friends Barret a few times. Can't remember the model, 20" barrel( seems too short for a .50) and semi auto.
I found the recoil very tolerable but the movement of the barrel assembly and the muzzle blast surrounding me where unsettling.
I supposed its something that you would get used to.
I would like to find a deal on a AR50 bolt action.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you plan on reloading for it, lee sells a single stage press just for .50 bmg, now go get ya some cinder blocks and giggle like a little girl when you blast em to pieces

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Had one till my local range BANNED 50BMG Mad Be sure you have sufficient backstop. About 12,000 ft/lbs of energy at muzzle.

If you shoot from prone position, close your mouth when firing!! Most of us have a big-assed grin with our first outing, and the round kicks up a dust cloud like you got passed by a semi.

Mine did not like machine gun surplus, out of spec and wouldn't chamber.

If you have any issues, I found Barrett to be responsive and very helpful. have fun.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do after getting something in .50bmg would be to stock up on API.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
API? Raufoss!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, be aware of your backstop and your surface danger zone. The .50 can really reach.

You'll learn what ammo it likes and dosen't like.

Keep an eye on your optics and mounts, the .50 can shake mounts and optics lose.

If you get really bored, break it down and go back packing with it. I always got a kick over how our dissembled and stowed for carrying.

Have fun with it.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
You got a great deal, for that price! Enjoy it, recoil isn’t bad. We take ours to a 700 yard range when we can. That’s the farthest we have available for the 50 anywhere near us.
Just take care of it, should be fine.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember... it’s not just for shooting a looooong ways off...

It’s also great for shooting right on through stuff close up!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
How have we made it this far without pictures?

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I just picked it up this week and have been way too busy to play with it. I managed to put it together and break it down again, but didn’t have a good photo opportunity. I should have time today or tomorrow. Thanks for the replies so far!

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post