SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is a Daniel Defense M4V7 a good ar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a Daniel Defense M4V7 a good ar? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
Hey Warpig. Is that an sbr in your photo?

It has to be. It's not a "pistol", since it has the shoulder stock and not a brace, and the barrel clearly is short, appearing to be DD 10.3" barrel. The rest is just a can.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An sbr it is. That looks really cool. I’m starting to like this ar thing.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Hey Warpig. Is that an sbr in your photo?

It has to be. It's not a "pistol", since it has the shoulder stock and not a brace, and the barrel clearly is short, appearing to be DD 10.3" barrel. The rest is just a can.

Yes sir. I actually went with the 11.5in barrel as I feel its slightly more reliable and the added velocity bump, while meager, is beneficial. I already have a DD MK18 in 300BLK thats more suitable to the shorter barrel length. That being said, I also had a "pistol" version of the MK18 in 5.56 and didnt experience any issues int he short time I had it. I never ran it hard or for very long so half expected no relaibilty issues.

More DD goodness:
V5S, my personal favorite.

V7 SBR

V7

MK18 Pistol with LAW folder:

V11 with Keymod

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
damn, I love your photos WarPig.
slight thread drift, but on that MK18, do you notice more or less recoil with the Law Tac folder. With more mass on the BCG, it seems as though it could increase it, but more mass of an H-buffer and/or a slower-moving BCG seems like it could decrease it as well, so I'm not sure which logical thought process would be more correct.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
damn, I love your photos WarPig.
slight thread drift, but on that MK18, do you notice more or less recoil with the Law Tac folder. With more mass on the BCG, it seems as though it could increase it, but more mass of an H-buffer and/or a slower-moving BCG seems like it could decrease it as well, so I'm not sure which logical thought process would be more correct.

I couldnt say, I never shot it without the LAW folder. The little rubber piece that attaches to the carrier doesnt weight much.

My thought may be as flawed as yours but I'd imagine it would reduce recoil if it did anything at all.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warpig. Those photos of your collection are amazing. I just found out from the seller on GB that the M4V7 lw that I had the winning big on has the cool rattlecan finish. What a deal for $1100.00

posted Hide Post
quote:
CD228 and Warpig. That was going to be my next question. You 2 have taken your mind reading pills. I was going to ask. What are the basics I need just to get shooting. Because I own absolutely nothing for an ar. And both of your answers are spot on. And warpig. I’m already spoiled by one of my friends LWRC rifles that has the ssa trigger. So of course I’ve been window shopping at the Brownells website. And a set of Troy irons will be purchased. Although I’m almost positive I will get an Eotech for it due to my astigmatism. I wanted to love my shooting buddies Aimpoints. But the Aimpoint looks like a fuzzy ball to my older eyes. While the Eotech with the green reticle was really sharp. And much quicker. What about mags? Is Lancer and Magpul good to go? I have a feeling getting a good deal on the rifle itself is going to give me an excuse to spend twice as much on “accessories”.

It's almost like we have seen this many times before. A lot of new AR owners sink a lot of money into accessories of dubious value. IMHO it's better to buy ammo and range time then wonder widgets.

Put down the credit card and back away from the computer.

The only thing that I didn't put on the list posted earlier was an AR specific cleaning kit. The AR doesn't need as much cleaning as some folks would have you believe, but it does require proper lubrication and the occasional cleaning. The AR uses a specific chamber brush and your current inventory of handgun cleaning supplies probably doesn't include one. Always clean from the chamber to the crown, that reduces the chance of damaging the crown and degrading the rifle's accuracy. The crown on an AR is not that fragile, but for some reason folks seem to go all beast mode on ARs. As I said above, the AR doesn't need a ton of cleaning to keep it running properly.

You can download the Daniels Defense manual from the website ad read it before your rifle arrives. It's not a bad manual, the parts diagrams are worth reviewing as knowing the pars make it easier to understand what you are being told.

To answer your magazine question MAGPUl PMAGS and Lancers are known good in the industry. I regularly recommend them as I've seen them perform in high round count carbine classes and deployments. The Daniel Defense magazine that your rifle comes with will probably be fine as well (I haven't used them). Tango down also makes quality plastic magazines, the ARC MAG MK2, but they are less common than the PMAG or lancer. There are also a number aluminum magazine manufacturers that range from good quality to total crap. I'd recommend sticking to Lancers and GEN 3 PMAGS. The other thing about magazines is that they are semi disposable, if you start having issues with one and you verify that it's a magazine issue, dump the magazine and replace it. Also, it's not a bad thing to have a bunch of good magazines on hand.

Optics are very much a personal choice based on your eyes and your needs. You are doing the right thing by trying different optics. Just figure out how far you plan to shoot and what you are trying to do. Red Dot Sights (RDS) like the Aimpoint and Holographic Weapon Sights (HWS) like the EOTECH are nice simple optics that are quick to learn and IMHO are quick on target and easy to learn. You should also look at Low Powered Variable Scope(LPV) 1-4 or 1-6 power magnification. Folks with astigmatism or aging eyes seem to find the LVP to be easy to use. The LPV needs more practice to become comfortable but the magnification is useful for longer distances or with smaller targets. Just make sure that you try out the optic you think you want before you buy it. The other thing to remember is not to scrimp on the optics mount.

Don't replace the trigger until you try out the trigger in your new rifle.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Excellent rifle. Add an aim point, vicker sling, light and a bunch of mags and some good training.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the choice of ammo? That my fellow members prefer? It’s a 1:7 barrel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the choice of ammo? That my fellow members prefer? It’s a 1:7 barrel.

Honestly, for just starting out, what ever you can afford and get in decent quality. 55 grain Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) either 5.56 or .223 should work in the rifle. I've used Federal, American Eagle, Winchester, Black hills, they have all been good. (you do occasionally get a bad batch). I'm consolidating towards Federal 5.56mm M193 (55 gr FMJ). I can get it in bulk on line for a good price, it cycles my rifle fine and is accurate enough for what I need. I'd stay away from M855 as it has a steel penetrator in it and some ranges don't allow them. A bulk box of Federal .223 55gr ball from the local Walmart can also get you started just fine. You can go heavier or lighter than 55 grains, but I would avoid doing so for now, you will pay more and may not see any benefit when you are starting out. I'd tell you that as a beginning rifle shooter you want to get a lot of good reps in of proper technique to build your shooting foundation. It's better to be a good marksman with a lackluster round than a bad marksman with a great round. If the shooter can't group due to bad technique, it doesn't matter how small of groups the ammo can shoot.

Your best bet on ammo is to try a box or two from different manufactures and configurations and see what your rifle is most accurate and reliable with. Each barrel is unique and what works great in one might be poor in another.

What's your actual plan for the rifle? Is it going to be for range use, competition, hunting or defense. Know what you want the rifle to do will help you figure out what you need and what you should avoid.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Excellent rifle. Add an aim point, vicker sling, light and a bunch of mags and some good training.

This pretty much sums it up.

Aimpoint Micro, Surefire Scout light(Streamlight is good to go too), Lancer, Pmags or USGI mags with the Magpul followers.

As for ammo, I like Wolf Gold and Golden Tiger for plinking. Depending on th rifle my choice in dfensive changes varies but 90% have 64gr Speer Gold Dots or Federal Fusion Fusion MSR

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
What is the choice of ammo? It’s a 1:7 barrel.

What's your actual plan for the rifle? Is it going to be for range use, competition, hunting or defense. Know what you want the rifle to do will help you figure out what you need and what you should avoid.

Bingo

As for ammo, most FMJ 55 grain ammo will go bang and produce holes in 2-3 inch circle at 100 yards. If you want better accuracy on targets, or want more capable hunting/defense ammo, you should look at other options.

Determine your goals for the rifle first.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have one. It is old from 2010...

Now that I have changed the barrel, forend, muzzle device, buttstock, and pistol grip the gun is how I want it.

Before I did all that it was a very good gun.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I have one. It is old from 2010...

Now that I have changed the barrel, forend, muzzle device, buttstock, and pistol grip the gun is how I want it.

Before I did all that it was a very good gun.

Ive found DD barrels to be outstanding. So much in fact that opted for their 18in S2W barrel for my SPR build and its holding .5 moa 5 shot groups

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

The V7p I own shoots very well. Added a UH1, iron sights and a Geissele trigger.

I am partial towards Daniel Defense.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post