SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is a Daniel Defense M4V7 a good ar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a Daniel Defense M4V7 a good ar? Login/Join 
posted
Hello fellow members. I’m a handgun guy. And I’ve never owned an ar type weapon. I recently shot a shooting friends Daniel Defense M4V7 lw. And I really like the way it feels and shoots. He has offered to sell it to me at a huge discount from what he paid. I’m more than likely going to buy it. If I’m to only own one ar type rifle. Is this a good choice? I know absolutely nothing about this so any advice would help. Thank you sig forum.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, DD makes a great AR15.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, it should be a solid AR.

Also, they're normally very good with warranty service if there's ever an issue.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the owners, but it generally doesn't have too much impact on the quality of their products.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I own two; I have a DDM4V7s and my wife has a full sized V7. Its definitely my favorite of Daniels 5.56 offerings Ive tried.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I vote yes....twice

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
It's an outstanding rifle!

If I could only own one AR, my DD M4V7 would be it.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Question should be, are there any DD ARs that are bad?

Answer: No.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
My buddy loves his. Its an issued duty gun.

Some DDM4V7 action

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are good quality but so are other brands- BCM,etc.. If I could afford a DD, I would definitely get one.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make a great rifle. While there are a number of companies as good you'd be hard pressed to find anything much better. I'm not a huge fan of their furniture (specifically stocks and grips) but that's easily changed.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
I'm not a huge fan of their furniture (specifically stocks and grips) but that's easily changed.
Yeah, they make oddly fugly furniture, but from a business perspective I understand why they roll their own stuff & magazines.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice? No.
Great choice? YES!

Dainel Defense makes a superb AR! They are really putting out a great light weight platform, super reliable and accurate. Especially if you're picking it up for a good price. If this is the only AR you're going to have, DD is pretty hard to beat!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
I'm not a huge fan of their furniture (specifically stocks and grips) but that's easily changed.
Yeah, they make oddly fugly furniture, but from a business perspective I understand why they roll their own stuff & magazines.

Thats funny. Lots of people voice negative opinions of the DD grips and stock, but i love the look and feel of their stuff!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DD makes good quality products and rifles. If you can get one for a good price, I'd jump on it. As long as the original owner didn't mess with it too much It should be a great rifle.

If you dig through the threads here, you'll find a number of folks on the forum own them and few if any have ever had an issue with them.

A 16" mid length with M-lok handguards is a great general purpose rifle. I'd ask if he is including Iron sights in the deal. If he isn't, no worries, they can be had cheaply.

A word of warning though, ARs tend to multiply and ARs seem to bring out folk's inner tinkerer.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. My friend decided to keep his rifle. So I just purchased a new 16 inch M4V7 lw on Gun Broker for a good price. Now. I’m about to go broke on accessories. I will post pictures when it arrives.

posted Hide Post
Don't go on a spending spree on accessories just yet.

A pair of Iron sights (if they don't come with the gun), some decent mags (Pmags, Lancers, DDs), some gun oil and some ammo will get you on the range quickly.

For sights a pair of MAGPULs(Just make sure they are for a rifle , not an Airsoft gun) or TROYs will do you fine until you get some experience and figure out what optics you want. Good optics are big money.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Don't go on a spending spree on accessories just yet.

A pair of Iron sights (if they don't come with the gun), some decent mags (Pmags, Lancers, DDs), some gun oil and some ammo will get you on the range quickly.

For sights a pair of MAGPULs(Just make sure they are for a rifle , not an Airsoft gun) or TROYs will do you fine until you get some experience and figure out what optics you want. Good optics are big money.

Facts. I put red dots on both and BUIS on one...called it a day.

I happen to like the grip and gri anlg of the DD grip so I didnt need to change anything.

Wait, trigger, honestly, the DD for the price, youd expect a better trigger. Geiselle or Larue to the rescue.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CD228 and Warpig. That was going to be my next question. You 2 have taken your mind reading pills. I was going to ask. What are the basics I need just to get shooting. Because I own absolutely nothing for an ar. And both of your answers are spot on. And warpig. I’m already spoiled by one of my friends LWRC rifles that has the ssa trigger. So of course I’ve been window shopping at the Brownells website. And a set of Troy irons will be purchased. Although I’m almost positive I will get an Eotech for it due to my astigmatism. I wanted to love my shooting buddies Aimpoints. But the Aimpoint looks like a fuzzy ball to my older eyes. While the Eotech with the green reticle was really sharp. And much quicker. What about mags? Is Lancer and Magpul good to go? I have a feeling getting a good deal on the rifle itself is going to give me an excuse to spend twice as much on “accessories”.

posted Hide Post
Hey Warpig. Is that an sbr in your photo?

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about mags? Is Lancer and Magpul good to go? I have a feeling getting a good deal on the rifle itself is going to give me an excuse to spend twice as much on “accessories”.

No real need to go anywhere but Magpul and Lancer, but Daniel's own 32-round mags have been great for me as well.

I just bought one of the Vortex UH-1 optics as well, and I almost think it's a bit clearer to my astigmatism than the Eotech I own. see if there's a shop with both that you can try, maybe. Unless you're set on the Eotech, though.

But yeah - Rifle, iron sights and/or optic, mags, and ammo will get you going. I guess I did also upgraded the trigger in my V7s.