SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Adcor Rifle (AR) Your Thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adcor Rifle (AR) Your Thoughts Login/Join 
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted
I was just at the Harrisburg Outdoors Show in PA. There I met some guys from Adcor Defense who make a M4 style rifle. It's a piston action with lots of vert nice features. I was wondering if anybody here has one and could give me their option of same. Thanks Chris.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
I have one of the earlier Adcors and it's been a very good, reliable, accurate rifle. They were in the Army's carbine competition trials and were one of the finalists until the Army canceled the trials altogether. Traditional AR shooters won't find much use for the forward charging handle, but it's there and that's Adcor's claim to fame. What turned me off about the company was their price gouging right after the Sandy Hook shootings. They were asking almost $500 for their lowers and there's nothing special about their lowers at all. I have a couple of Sig 516 rifles and I wouldn't pay any more for an Adcor than I would for a Sig 516. They're very comparable rifles except the Sig doesn't have the forward charging handle option.

-Mike

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I too have an early Adcor B.E.A.R. and have a lot of good things to say about it:

Like Hamfisted, I have found mine to be accurate and very reliable. It runs very clean as you would expect from a piston driven weapon--even when suppressed.

The weapon does have several unique features. One is the adjustable gas system that can easily be changed to smoothly cycle when suppressed. There are a total of 4 gas settings.

The piston system is truly separated from the barrel and incorporated into the hand guard, and, as such, I believe I have experienced greater accuracy w/o all the bolt driving and spring action forces being imposed on the barrel like all other piston systems.

The designers were extremely clever in the design of the hand guard and how it and the rifle disassembles with no tools required. All components are very easy to clean.

Overall it is a great package and I have seen some of the early rifles, likely used, at prices below $800. That, in my opinion, is a very reasonable price for an interesting rifle.

From a nit perspective, the hand guard is a few inches too short for me. It is easy to get your support hand onto the gas regulator when shooting and that gets hot! This comment is largely irreverent but, I have decided not to add any more ARs with proprietary parts. This is a decision based on interchangeability. If we ever had to use them, I'd like one parts supply to be able to service all weapons.

There are several videos about this weapon and the unique features Adcor integrated into it. The front charging handle is the centerpiece of all its innovation but there are other unique and smart features incorporated into the design. I am happy that I have one and bet you would be too.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Well I finally came across an used mint upper Adcor BEAR on GB by a LGS, nice no shipping. I placed on a Spikes lower set up with DD grip and stock. Feels like a solid rifle while tight it is smooth. The only first dislike is the forearm with rails which is thick and sharp. I'll try to Adcor and see if I can buy the KMod forearm. I'll burn some rounds and report back. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Chris:

Good luck with your new weapon. I recall that when I first got mine the gas setting was on maximum. The recoil was very noticeable. Check out the on-line manual and if your is cycling abruptly, turn down the gas. You will find a setting that cycles reliably and reduces recoil significantly.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post