SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do we have a resident pre-64 model 70 expert on the forum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do we have a resident pre-64 model 70 expert on the forum? Login/Join 
posted
I'm buying a 1956 model 70 Featherweight in .270 and I'm looking for an expert opinion on what I'm getting. I've already decided to buy the rifle regardless because I've always wanted a pre-64 model 70, and don't have a .270. If we do have a resident expert, would you be willing to review a few pics via email?

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely not an expert but I have researched them a bit as far as what to look for on shooter vs collector, etc. And even if I can't offer much info, I'd love to take a look. Email is on profile if you want to send me anything.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm sure no expert. But I do have 2 of them, the first #202 I stumbled upon by luck. The other is way up around serial 2600+. Every gun show I look for another. I'm not bashful about buying, either. If you're looking for a postwar gun, its not difficult but it will take you some time (and money.)

It helps to have friends looking, too. Both of mine came thru buddies that knew what I wanted. Guess its been years now. At gun shows it can be difficult. At every table you need to look and ask questions. I subscribe to the idea that older is better. The best place to search is where rifles are used for deer. Surprisingly enough, they aren't that expensive. Most gun dealers don't even care about the serial.

Even David Carroll, a friend and dealer, was going over the bones of my collection. He stopped at #202 and commented "interesting serial".. At a show about 2000, the guy with #2 had it on his table (I think his name was George from Atlanta) He priced it about $33,000 but ended up selling it for just under $20,000. Had I known it would go that "cheap", I'd have seriously considered. There are thousands in the low thousands range. I was stupid and passed over one in .300 Winny that was perfect and not too expensive. Shoulda outta bought it.

There is an often retold story about #1. Some old farm guy from Texas was in a gun shop, looking for some kind of minor repair. They couldn't find a serial, only the number 1. It was a ranch gun that had bounced around in a window rack for decades.. Yep, it went to the Winchester muesum in Wyoming. As I understand it, the guy got a new rifle and some boot cash.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert but, I do love the Pre64 M70s. You should post up pics on here, so we can all appreciate it. My family's main boomstick, good old .30-06, has been putting meat on our table for generations. It started as my mom's wedding gift in the 50s, it's been around the world, my wife and I inherited it, used it plenty more and most recently, our daughter got her first caribou with it.

I've got another Featherweight Pre64 that's definitely in used condition finish wise but has never even had a scope on it. It was always the backup rifle on trips, hence the outside finish wear.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
I'm buying a 1956 model 70 Featherweight in .270 and I'm looking for an expert opinion on what I'm getting. I've already decided to buy the rifle regardless because I've always wanted a pre-64 model 70, and don't have a .270. If we do have a resident expert, would you be willing to review a few pics via email? TS

I have several pre 64 M70 rifles. Dad was a collector. I am more an accumulator. They are just about the best rifle ever.

Look here https://pre64win.com/

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
I'm buying a 1956 model 70 Featherweight in .270 and I'm looking for an expert opinion on what I'm getting. I've already decided to buy the rifle regardless because I've always wanted a pre-64 model 70, and don't have a .270. If we do have a resident expert, would you be willing to review a few pics via email? TS

I have several pre 64 M70 rifles. Dad was a collector. I am more an accumulator. They are just about the best rifle ever.

Look here https://pre64win.com/

Much thanks, I'll check this out.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
One M70 story I have is Dad's beat up 270. Made in the 1950s a well worn M70 Standard weight was bare of blue. So Dad rattle can painted it. Then he named it Old Paint. Ya know like Daisy or Betsy.

That old worn out 270 would hold 3" groups at 500 yards.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case you might find pics interesting here's My last Pre-64 in 9,3x62:

My first Mullered border:

26LPI inlaid Ebony grip cap:

One kinda neat thing about that stock is that if you look at the buttstock around the back of the cheekpiece you can see the graft-line of where an English Walnut Tree was grafted onto a Claro Walnut tree in California. One of these days I also need to get around to refitting a rear action screw to fit to the top of the action tang. The gun shoots so well like it is I'm reluctant to change anything. :-)

And If I ever get my workshop back up and running it's twin will be in 7x57:

If I manage to find all the pictures of others I've worked on I'll try to post them here if y'all would like. A good friend of mine was a serious collector of custom Pre-64's. Those were the days!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous. So are you making the stocks from blanks? Cutting all of the checkering?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I'll try to post them here if y'all would like.

That would be fantastic!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
That's gorgeous. So are you making the stocks from blanks? Cutting all of the checkering?

Yes, thank you.

The 9,3 stock was a rough inletted blank. I recontoured the barrel, added the forend tip, inletted and recontoured the cheekpiece, finished the stock, checkered it etc etc. I did stock work. I have the machine work done. The 7x57 is my first from a blank just to do one. It's easier to have the blank basic profiled and most custom makers do it that way. I just wanted to try one from the blank for the experience.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post