SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rem 870 DM (mag fed)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 870 DM (mag fed) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree this isn't for traditional quail hunts or trap matches. Its for the "tactical" shotgun matches and competitions.

And if it proves dependable and easy to operate, it would also be useful in the home, truck and boat.

IF they've overcome the factors that make soft shotshells a problem in box magazines, there will be a market for them.

I wouldn't bet against higher capacity magazines becoming available from Remington and/or aftermarket sources.

I wouldn't bet against a Remington semi-auto version being developed either.

My credit card is glad there is not a marine version available in their first offerings. Smile

This review answers some questions:

https://www.shootingillustrate...gton-870-dm-shotgun/

"First, while the DM’s receiver looks like a standard 870 with a magazine well bolted on, it is a completely separate and new receiver—the two are not interchangeable"

This one may answer others:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...0-dm-magpul-shotgun/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
Just got the email yesterday.
Definitely Interesting. I wonder if it is possible to modify my existing, well broken in, smooth as silk, 870 Magnum.

I doubt a modification would be feasible. I would think the receiver has to be very different to accommodate a box magazine. I would also think the lifter mechanism would be very different - so different it wouldn't really be a lifter.

I am also with cslinger - why? I know a box magazine is more easily reloaded. But a 7 or 8 round tube mag is possible even on a short barrel, and 10 round tube is possible on a barrel that isn't much longer. And as noted box mag fed shotguns haven't been super reliable.

Probably because it is new...
...but (sigh) you're correct, in saying that the tube mag is adequate.

My 7+1 round 870 is rock solid dependable and the action after all these years is very smooth.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Yes, I agree this isn't for traditional quail hunts or trap matches. Its for the "tactical" shotgun matches and competitions.

Is it though? I thought competition shooters were running long tubed semi-autos?

I don't see the need for HD either, capacity is the same and a reload isn't gonna be even remotely likely.

I think it is cool, and magazines are always the preferred way to reload if viable.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would take weight of the shells from the front of the gun and center it under the receiver. I don't know if it would improve anything though.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only if they create a whole new division for it.

Mag fed = open division. Even if they produce truly large capacity magazines for it, still a distinct disadvantage. Check out the XRail Benelli M2s. 24+1 or something like that,with no reload. And still capable of being reloaded with speedloaders.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, I guess I've been barking up a tree with no coon in it.

Sorry guys. Carry on.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This new tac 14 is cool as hell.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I like it. Big Grin

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know you begged off and I'm not trying to pile on. In the event that Remington did engineer this thing to try to appeal to the competition crowd, it still makes little sense to me. I don't even 3 gun, and I can't see how this shotgun is anything a competitor would think is going to give him an advantage over an auto with an extended magazine tube. It's a pump that you can't top off, which I thought was one of the distinct advantages to using a pump shotgun - you don't have to unload the weapon in order to load it and keep it in action.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I think you guys are missing the point that most appeals to me. A mag fed gun lets you change ammo or clear the gun without having to cycle a full load of ammo. I do that all the time. Every day.

What kind of shooting with a shotgun are you doing that requires you to change out the ammo and clear the gun all the time, every day? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a "why for?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
So, to summarize:
The concept of a box magazine fed pump gun brought to you by Remington is pretty much like an Edsel made and marketed by Yugo?

posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of shooting with a shotgun are you doing that requires you to change out the ammo and clear the gun all the time, every day?

I live on a farm. At a minimum I change ammo from daytime to nighttime as the type of predator changes. Often times more than that as specific issues arise.
I'm going to love this if it works.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The concept of a box magazine fed pump gun brought to you by Remington is pretty much like an Edsel made and marketed by Yugo?

Razz Have you seen the Zastava M90NP rifle and M85 pistol? To be fair, though, the adapter on the M90NP seems to hold up just fine.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
What kind of shooting with a shotgun are you doing that requires you to change out the ammo and clear the gun all the time, every day?

I live on a farm. At a minimum I change ammo from daytime to nighttime as the type of predator changes. Often times more than that as specific issues arise.
I'm going to love this if it works.

I agree. Carried "cruiser ready" would allow the instant switch of a mag to slugs or buckshot depending on the threat or need. No racking and ejecting and then inserting a slug or getting confused as to whats in the gun under stress.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, Mossberg follows suit, and with higher cap magazines:

https://www.shootingillustrate...ssberg-590m-shotgun/

And a few more:

https://www.shootingillustrate...from-shot-show-2018/

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If they weren't so damn expensive, you could just get one of these...more compact, 12+1 round capacity, and instant slug or buck choice. I don't think I'd be buying a new Remmy in any case.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/shotguns/ksg

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post