SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rem 870 DM (mag fed)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 870 DM (mag fed) Login/Join 
Picture of xl_target
posted
Just got the email yesterday.
Definitely Interesting. I wonder if it is possible to modify my existing, well broken in, smooth as silk, 870 Magnum.

With their recent track record, I really would be hesitant to buy a brand new "built by Remington" shotgun today
Remington 870 DM video

https://www.remington.com/shot...-870-dm/model-870-dm

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I think they are very interesting.

If Remington has designed a dependably functioning box magazine fed shotgun, they'll sell a few.

Apparently only the Magpul version comes with interchangeable chokes.

https://www.remington.com/shot...-action/model-870-dm

I wonder if they could build a 20G version with higher capacity staggered-shell box magazines Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
This is a big “why?” from me.

So you take a fairly good handling reliable 7-8 shot pump gun, that is easily topped off, and thin and give it a huge protruding mag that is of the same or less capacity and certainly more complex.

Beyond the this is just friggin cool aspect (which I would never denounce) I just don’t get it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look like something that could be added onto an existing gun, I’d be interested in putting that on mine as well but no thanks on a new “Remington”

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Course now a part of me is thinking belt fed pump action shotgun. Big Grin

Belt fed pump action double barrel shotgun. Feeds two off the belt. Smile Eek

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting

I had a Valtro PM5 for a while, nice shotgun, mags were hard to get.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or do box magazine fed shotguns seem to be kind of a "meh" idea outside of the competition circuit? For the bulk, weight and magazine capacity, I think I'd be just as happy shoving a few shells into a tube as opportunity permits.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Is it just me, or do box magazine fed shotguns seem to be kind of a "meh" idea outside of the competition circuit? For the bulk, weight and magazine capacity, I think I'd be just as happy shoving a few shells into a tube as opportunity permits.

Advent of quadloading in 3-gun and the propensity for mag fed shotguns to be much less reliabile than tube fed (my experience from attending and shooting a fair number of matches), has pretty much leveled the playing field of shotgunning.

Not sure who this is marketed towards exactly.

Hunters don't really need additional capacity.

Competitors who choose mag fed shotguns are shooting semi-autos and they want BIG magazines.

If Remington wanted to do something innovative they could sell us the version of the ACR that people actually wanted.

They missed out on how many years of sales on the ACR during the biggest market in modern sporting rifles in history?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Shotgun shells are squishy soft plastic. They are strong when loaded in a tube magazine. They are not strong, the other way, when loaded in Saiga style box magazine.

This is a big fail from Loosing-A-Ton.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a big “why?” from me.

Exactly what I thought. The extended mag holds seven to eight. so what's the benefit? Carrying additional magazines is beyond bulky. A saddle mount with five additional shells makes more sense. I'd bet someone who is competent can reload the tubular magazine quicker than insterting a fresh magazine.

Years back they developed a magazine fed 7600 pump rifle intended for law enforcement sales. That bombed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are missing the point that most appeals to me. A mag fed gun lets you change ammo or clear the gun without having to cycle a full load of ammo. I do that all the time. Every day. If it feeds reliably I'm all over this.
As far as the 7600 rifle (7615 really), I think its a great product. I often carried one as a truck gun, you get a non scary rifle to the masses that has the ability to run AR mags. I'd buy another of those if available as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
Just got the email yesterday.
Definitely Interesting. I wonder if it is possible to modify my existing, well broken in, smooth as silk, 870 Magnum.

I doubt a modification would be feasible. I would think the receiver has to be very different to accommodate a box magazine. I would also think the lifter mechanism would be very different - so different it wouldn't really be a lifter.

I am also with cslinger - why? I know a box magazine is more easily reloaded. But a 7 or 8 round tube mag is possible even on a short barrel, and 10 round tube is possible on a barrel that isn't much longer. And as noted box mag fed shotguns haven't been super reliable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
As far as the 7600 rifle (7615 really), I think its a great product. I often carried one as a truck gun, you get a non scary rifle to the masses that has the ability to run AR mags. I'd buy another of those if available as well.

That looked like a neat idea to me at first for exactly the reasons you mentioned. What killed my buzz was that the accuracy cited in reviews didn't look terribly good, and (of course?) that they never made one in the 7.62x39.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Can your tube gun switch from a full load of buckshot to a full load of slugs in a second or two? Big Grin

I dunno... I aint buying one either, but if it works, good for them.

Now when the 14" non NFA version comes out, maybe we'll talk. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
loading and unloading shotshells beats them up pretty fast. This thing is certainly unwieldy, and who knows if it's reliable, but it could find a niche market with the Saiga crowd now that Saigas can't be imported anymore.
BTW, the Australians love the Hell out of the 7615, 'cause they can't have semiauto rifles.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can your tube gun switch from a full load of buckshot to a full load of slugs in a second or two?

No but I promise you I can get a round of buck or slug in the gun and probably on target faster then you can switch mags out and I suck. Wink

I can see the utility if you constantly have to clear the weapon. Beyond that (and the cool factor, which although this doesn’t trip my personal trigger, I totally get) I just don’t see it.

If I need a magazine fed shotgun......I need a semi automatic rifle........and if I need a semi automatic rifle.....I need to rethink my life choices and or location. Smile

posted Hide Post
Remington is hurting and I think this is another attempt to fix it. I think they're coming up short again.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

If I need a magazine fed shotgun......I need a semi automatic rifle........and if I need a semi automatic rifle.....I need to rethink my life choices and or location. Smile

Ah... you see all guns as weapons, just like the liberals. So sad.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did you miss my cool factor comment? Trust me I personally don’t really see ANY of my guns as WEAPONS.

I totally get the iwannacoolgun factor. This one just doesn’t blow my kilt up personally.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one just doesn’t blow my kilt up personally.

Well I'm with you fellers. Smile

I like my 870s a certain way.

And that way is old, shiny blue steel, nice wood, and tube fed.

If I want synthetic and tactical, well, that's why God made the Mossberg 590A1. Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post