SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage bolt guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage bolt guns Login/Join 
posted
Some of the local stores have various Savage bolt guns on the shelf. For those that have them, how do they compare with other guns such as the Remington 700 series for accuracy and overall QC?

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I only have one Savage rifle, a Model 12 in .223 and the quality is excellent. So is the accuracy. I’ve read on a lot of forums over the years that Savage is an excellent choice.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage .308 bolt gun with the AccuTrigger, as does my cousin. We are both impressed with them. But as of yet we haven't found a place to try them past 450 yards.

On a calm day 2" groups are fairly easy and we are just enthusiasts, not "shooters". Some professional training with pistols, but self taught with rifles. We know we have room for improvement!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I dumped a 700VS in .308 in favor of a Savage 10FP back in 1998 (there's a QC horror story there but I won't go into it here). It was a new model at the time and pre-Accu-Trigger. Installed a SharpShooter Supply competition trigger (w/2lb to 12oz adjustment range) and made other tweaks over the years. It shoots a hair over 1/4 MOA at 100 yards consistently with handloads. I've never looked back.

Good friend has some more current vintage Savage bolt guns and loves them for their accuracy and bang-for-the-buck.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I have the Savage 10BA in 6.5CM for my long range tool. We can shoot to 1000 at Gadsden Shooting Center (Iberia MO), and it does its job to that distance and everything in between. The wind is the problem, or me, on any given day, not the rifle if things go south. I also had a 110 in 25-06, traded for an SKS about ten years ago--wish I still had it. Besides good accuracy, Savage has easy barrel swapping if you shoot one out. No problemo.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I dumped a 700VS in .308 in favor of a Savage 10FP back in 1998 (there's a QC horror story there but I won't go into it here). It was a new model at the time and pre-Accu-Trigger. Installed a SharpShooter Supply competition trigger (w/2lb to 12oz adjustment range) and made other tweaks over the years. It shoots a hair over 1/4 MOA at 100 yards consistently with handloads. I've never looked back.

I have a Savage 10FP of the same vintage and it is about 1/2 MOA with handloads, but that's usually a single flyer opening it up. Likely my fault.

I'm very impressed with the gun for what it cost. Factory trigger is good and easily adjustable. Only gripe is the cheap stock. Effective, but ugly.

The new 110 Tacticals with the Accustock look like a screaming deal, and I definitely intend to pick one up. Very good features for the dollar.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 10 24 in fluted barrel. put it in a Choate stock and have been shooting out to 1240ydswith it. i know at 100yds it will shoot 1/2 moa. Now if i could learn to see through my scope consistantly wearing glass, I would do a lot better. 66 year old eyes

Posts: 450 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Here's pictures of my 1998 vintage 10FP.
Like I said earlier... lots of tweaks over the years. Big Grin

If in the market today, the 110 Tactical speaks to me. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It’s really hard to beat a Savage for off the shelf quality and the price.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought a Savage Axis (not Axis II) in 243 for my mom & sister to use for deer.
He put a Timney trigger in it because he said the stock trigger was very heavy & plain awful.

I haven't shot it, but he said it was a big improvement.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Bought a Savage 10TR for $500 cash in 2013. I sold my GA Precision Remmy 700 because the Savage shot almost as good. $500 vs $3000. It came out of the box with all the features I would have had to get aftermarket. Oversized bolt knob, threaded barrel, 20 MOA base, good stock and trigger. At least I like the stock and trigger. It flat out shoots. At some point I'll likely get a 6.5 or 260 version. I don't see how they can be beat.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6977 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Ashbury precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore, I'm VERY satisfied with it.
I also have a old Savage striker bolt action pistol with a custom 4oz trigger, chambered in 22LR, VERY accurate!
I also bought my daughter in Law a cheap Savage rifle package with a Nikon scope chambered in 25/06, she enjoys shooting it and has not experienced any problems.

Posts: 4634 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post