SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Competition" shotguns have vent ribs; "Tactical" shotguns have irons
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Competition" shotguns have vent ribs; "Tactical" shotguns have irons Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

Are ventilated ribs too fragile to be tactical?

No, not at all. I've never seen a vent rib fail.

Are open or aperture iron sights too slow to be competitive?

Slower, yes.

What is the major advantage of aperture sights on a shotgun? Landing slugs on target accurately?

That would be about the only advantage. But a savvy shooter can accomplish the same level of precision with a vent rib. The real advantage of a rear iron sight is that it can be zeroed, and not all shotgun barrels shoot POA/POI with slugs, or even with shot.

If so, at what distance does this become a significant advantage over ventilated ribs with beads, HI Viz or tritium front sights?

Over 25 yards IMHO.

I love shotgunning!

https://youtu.be/xhSbdtlAMZU?t=59
at 1:26 was that an unintended discharge?

Nope. I loaded slugs to engage slug targets and had a birdshot in the chamber I needed to get rid of. Burned it into the ground. No need to waste time aiming in that circumstance, just so long as it impacts more than 10 feet away from the shooter and is in a safe shooting area.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
(Even if it was, rules wise it's fine. Don't know what set of rules they're using, but generally as long as it doesn't hit near your feet, leave the range, or happen while moving or reloading, you can ND all day long and stay within the rules)

You wouldn't believe how many people have watched that video and asked me if it was an ND. Razz

Many shooters will try to plan their loading plan down to the exact shell so that they never need to burn a round. I find that in doing this... if I miss a target and need to make it up, it requires too much time to stop and think about what shell is in the chamber or in the tube if I need to make up a shot.

I find it to be much simpler to just fill my tube up with birdshot and load slugs and buck when and where I need them.

I do it here when I miss a slug shot and have to make it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FttseY-Co

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Why not both?

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

You wouldn't believe how many people have watched that video and asked me if it was an ND.

I've been accused of this same thing emptying a rifle to abandon it. One RO gave me the advice of "You might want to make it look more intentional." Big Grin

Before dual/quad loading became the only way to keep up, when we were still loading weak hand, I used to love to occasionally engage targets "one handed" while loading with the other. (Mostly because I thought it was cool Cool and heck, the gun was pointing at a target, why not pull the trigger!?) Got accused of an ND with that once or twice as well. "I was aiming at the target, did you not see it go down!!"

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if I understand the reference to “burning” a round.

Does that mean deliberately firing a round in competition that’s not intended to hit a target so that the gun will be empty when no longer needed for a stage and is left behind when moving on, or to change ammunition type?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t know if I understand the reference to “burning” a round.

Does that mean deliberately firing a round in competition that’s not intended to hit a target so that the gun will be empty when no longer needed for a stage and is left behind when moving on, or to change ammunition type?

Both, yes.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Is that a 21" barrel? I like the look of that. I can totally see how you could easily translate your clay shooting experience into defensive use with a setup like that. Familiar handling and sighting, in a shorter, handier package with a greater magazine capacity.

Tacticlay Big Grin

Y'know, with a quick application of some spray paint camo, that would also make a dandy turkey gun. Those tend to have shorter barrels like that too.

Turktical Big Grin

Yes, my 1301 Comp is the 21" barreled version. I really like Beretta's semiauto shotguns. I've got a A400 Xtreme that I use for waterfowl and turkey among others. The damn quarantine forced me to cancel my 2020 turkey hunt, but I really like this 28" gun for big birds (turkey, sandhill cranes, geese, etc...) and recently added a Trijicon RMR (Dual Illuminated) Green dot to it for gobblers this next year. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cops break stuff... Our officers manage to break the steel bead off of the 590 that we issue for patrol. Way before rifles were allowed those of us bought our own shotguns purchased Smith and WEsson 3000's with rifle sights for slug use. With practice
targets at 75 yards we got good groups with slugs the old Winchester 1600fps stuff. We had one officer who used a 21 inch ribbed barrel Remington who did just as well as we did. So I am a fan boy of ribs for tactical shotguns. To be honest I hope to find
a 21 inch ribbed barrel for my 870 and replace the 18 inch with raised bead with it...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The vented rib would get in the way of my heat shield.

When I was looking for my 590, it was such a pain to get the basic version (wanted it as close to what I carried in the Corps). Bead front post, heat shield, bayonet lug, plain stock.

Just about all the ones I could find in stock at my local stores had the speed feed stock or ghost ring sites.

I finally found one, though.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd throw this "competition" shotgun into the mix. Traded a Belgian Light Twelve for it today. Remington 1100 Sporting .410.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd throw this "competition" shotgun into the mix. Traded a Belgian Light Twelve for it today. Remington 1100 Sporting .410.

Very nice! I had a 28 Gauge 1100 Sporting model just like it. Beautiful wood, great balance, and a proven system.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Very nice! I had a 28 Gauge 1100 Sporting model just like it. Beautiful wood, great balance, and a proven system.

Thanks... yeah it is super sweet. I went and shot a couple rounds of skeet with it yesterday and managed an 18/25. Very challenging and a lot of fun.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post