SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 700 BDL bolt release problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 BDL bolt release problem Login/Join 
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted
Remington 700 BDL.

Tab to release the bolt seems to be stuck in the release position. I pull the bolt back and it slips right out. Checked my other BDL and the tab seems to be 'out' more.

I've fiddled with it by finger only, but it doesn't move. Figured I'd better ask before I take to it with any tools.

Do these tabs 'stick'? Was it something I did? How do I get it back in operating condition?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is the gun? Maybe just full of old oil and dirt. Or the spring is broken.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
It is an old gun. But it was pretty clean when I bought it and I gave it a pretty thorough cleaning before I put it in the safe. I function tested it and would have noticed the bolt coming straight out when I cycled it.

I took it out tonight because I have it - and a few other rifles I'm thinking are about time to get optics for.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this irregularity.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several other searches say it has a common problem of binding in its slot.
Which was news to me. I am still leaning toward there is old oil or grit causing it to jam.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Well, I perused the interwebs.

Most complaints are due to replacement of the stock with one that is aftermarket.

The remainder are alleged to be gunk accumulation, which may be the case. I purchased the rifle used, cleaned it a few times and tossed it in the safe for years with a coat of either Eezox or Ballistol. I haven't even fired it.

Who does that?

I was quite pleased to see it looked exactly like it did when I placed it in the rack.

What's gnawing on me is that I know it was operating fine when I placed it in storage. There is no way I would have not noticed it. Further, the bolt was secure when I pulled the rifle out. Stored muzzle up, the bolt would have just slid out - and that was not the case. It came out only when I went to work the action.

I'll have to disassemble it and see whats going on in there.

I will be firing it after I rectify the problem. Wink

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Had that problem many years ago with two different 700. In both cases it was hoppes gun oil that turned to an almost varnish like state in the trigger group. I both cases I ended up taking the trigger group apart and cleaned everything with lighter fluid and Q tips. Problem was gone. Never had the problem again but I never used that oil again either. You might want to think about changing gun oils from whatever you are using because not all gun oils do the varnish thing from what I have seen over the years.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post