SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is anyone using a pistol caliber carbine for home defense?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone using a pistol caliber carbine for home defense? Login/Join 
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 9mm PCC. That said, I keep a 5.56 handy, personally. The reports of it not overpenetrating is a key factor for me.

I don't have any personal experience with their 9mm rifles, but JP makes great products. But, at that price, I would look at either a MPX or a B&T. As a system, both probably have a lot more rounds through them.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
44 mag 240 grain JHP from a lever action rifle count?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
44 mag 240 grain JHP from a lever action rifle count?

I like the way you think. Wink

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always tried to subscribe to the theory that bring the best tool you can to the job. There is zero wrong with a PCC for home defense if that's the best tool you have. But to go buy a tool its less than the best tool. There are literally no downsides to using 5.56 versus 9mm. Same form factor, recoil etc. and potentially less risk overall while getting way, way better results.
If somehow my only option was a 9mm PCC I'd be happy, but I wouldn't choose it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've always tried to subscribe to the theory that bring the best tool you can to the job. There is zero wrong with a PCC for home defense if that's the best tool you have. But to go buy a tool its less than the best tool. There are literally no downsides to using 5.56 versus 9mm. Same form factor, recoil etc. and potentially less risk overall while getting way, way better results.

The downside to 223/556 is the deafening sound blast if not supressed. Much louder indoors or out than 9mm.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
quote:

The downside to 223/556 is the deafening sound blast if not supressed. Much louder indoors or out than 9mm.

On that subject, is there anything that can be done to throw the sound forward? Are some brakes designed to that end?

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Depends on where in the house I am. But yes, I would be good with a 9mm for home defense.

I agree.

Rolan, who makes that charging handle you have on your Scorpion EVO?

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I could use a PCC, ( I have a Colt 6450 with twin 32 round mags of 124gr + Speer GDs ) for HD, but my 516 is my current go-to HD long gun.

Once I finish it, I have an AR pistol w/ 11.5" 5.56 and SBA3 brace that will possibly replace the 516.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
quote:

On that subject, is there anything that can be done to throw the sound forward? Are some brakes designed to that end?

You can get a linear compensator, or put a blast shield around the brake, but in an enclosed space, it will still be very loud since the sound will reflect off a wall in front of you.

Plus, a 5.56 has a much bigger muzzle flash, especially from a short barrel, than a PCC.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe, maybe not. According to the attached table from M1911.org, a 223 rifle produces 155 db of noise and a 9mm pistol produces 160 db of noise.

how loud is your gun?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Maybe, maybe not. According to the attached table from M1911.org, a 223 rifle produces 155 db of noise and a 9mm pistol produces 160 db of noise.

how loud is your gun?

Apples to oranges.

What's the decibel level for 9mm out of a 16" barrel?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Apples to oranges.

What's the decibel level for 9mm out of a 16" barrel?

I don't know. I'll let you research that. While you're at it, look for the db of various barrels lengths between 4-5" and 16", as some of the PCC carbines could be SBRs and pistols

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My wife is fine with the AR9 I got (partially for a HD gun) but very recoil sensitive with pistols. It’s not what I’m picking up for a bump in the night but she will and that’s what matters. It’s far better than a pillow.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Plus, a 5.56 has a much bigger muzzle flash, especially from a short barrel, than a PCC.

For under $50, some of the best flash hiders on the market will tame that to basically zero (Blackout, Vortex, Phantom). I have an AAC Blackout I paid $45 for on my 10.5" SBR and I've shot it with cheap ammo in the dark, could only see the faintest of blue-ish-gray looking flash when staring at the muzzle. So, a non-factor. Same with sound, they are going to be close and either will harm your hearing. Can mitigate both with electronic hearing pro at the ready or a can.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Yes. SBR CZ Scorpion.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

not in any meaningful way according to the data I see. In any case you should put on amplified hearing protection at the same time you pick up the gun (I keep mine attached to the rifle). It is a tactical advantage you should use...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yup, 9mm SBR AR suppressed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could afford it I'd have a suppressed .40 or .45 SBR with the heaviest subsonic cartridges I could get.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I may this year mount my can to the Scorpion and retire the M4. I don’t want to ever be in that situation but I need my hearing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I agree, suppressed is always the answer. Both my HD rifle and pistol are suppressed.

Some say electronic ears help you hear better, but I’ve always found it throws off my directional hearing. So I find them to be a negative, not a positive. Whatever you choose, suppress it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post