SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Battle Rifle recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle Rifle recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Don’t ignore the AR in other chamberings like 6.5 or 300BLK.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
These days there are good priced AR10s that work so it's a solid option.

I'm partial to the M14 and I also like the FAL quite a bit. Both great options just depends what you want to do with it.

Depending how close to 2K you want to get, the galil ace is a pretty solid option I think. No firsthand exp with it though but it would take AR10 mags in case you wanted to get an AR10 in the future. Or other way around if you want an AR10 now. The FAL and M14 both use their own mag which is a pain in the ass until you get a couple of em.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’d like to buy a larger caliber semi auto to compliment my AR15.

The easiest compliment to an AR15 is an AR10. The benefits include:
- Same basic configuration. No need to learn a new trigger, mag release, or charging system.
- Same type of modularity with uppers and calibers. However, you almost certainly will need to stay with the one brand of upper/lower.
- Same layout for sights.

AR10s can be built for a reasonable cost. They can be really accurate. They can cycle really reliably. You can have the choice between DI and piston systems. They suppress nicely. Quite a few manufacturers build complete rifles and components.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rchermanjr:
I have had the M1 Garand...through CMP..great rifle but not what I would consider a battle rifle.

Well, that's exactly what it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle:

quote:
A battle rifle is a military service rifle that is capable of semi or fully automatic fire, and fires a full-powered rifle cartridge.[1] The term "battle rifle" was created largely out of a need to better differentiate the intermediate-power assault rifles (e.g. StG-44, AK-47, M16, AUG) from full-powered automatic rifles (e.g. FG-42, FN FAL, M14, H&K G3) as both classes of firearms have a similar appearance and share many of the same features such as detachable magazines, pistol grips, etc.[2]

While most battle rifles largely resemble modern assault rifle designs, the term may also describe older military full-powered semi-automatic rifles such as the Fedorov Avtomat, M1 Garand, SVT-40, Gewehr 43, FN Model 1949, and the MAS-49.[3][4] Before the 1980s and 1990s, the term was not well defined and was used as a general description for all types of military rifles.

quote:
Originally posted by rchermanjr:
The H&K G3 and variants would be my choice. Parts are plentiful, including magazines....design is robust, accurate enough for what it was designed, not very heavy and shoots .30cal round. Can be used close in and out at a distance with good optics.

If I was going to get one today it would be a PTR91 variant with the welded on rail for optics. The best non-H&K option for anyone without thousands of dollars burning hole in pocket and willing to wait.

That would be my choice...I owned one and sold it and regretted it immediately so will be buying another.

I have one and I honestly feel an AR10 or SCAR 17 would be a better choice, far and away. In fact, I'm strongly considering moving away from the HK91 and to one of those other platforms when the gun market is less frantic. Trigger, mag changes, and overall manual of arms are a thousand times better, and I say that as someone who has no problem working the rifle. The HK G3 family just really doesn't make as much sense for the role now, surely not the way it did even ten years ago.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Garand cost me around $2,200 to build

This one, with the Vortex Razor optic and the titanium Sadlak scope mount, comes in around $5k. Without those items, it's more like $2,500.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, they make M1Garands in 308. We had one at the armory in Portsmouth..the Chief came down to the line one day and was shooting at the other end of the line when he came over and asked about the funny brass he had found....someone (him) checked out the 308 M1 and actually used the 30-06 M1....makes weird brass to be sure...he didn’t believe me until I went and got the other M1 we had and showed him.....the 308 chambered one had a special block in it to keep you from trying to use the 30-06 ammo.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a battle rifle it would be/is a SCAR 17. It's a bit of a dated platform/design, so-to-speak, but a rock solid rifle that you can bet your life on. I'd have no problem taking it into a shit-storm as it will digest any brand .308, take beating and run and run.

Put a Magpul bipod on it, a SOCOM RC2 can, a Geissele trigger,a Surefire light, a Scope and you're set. If no Scope, the stock iron sights are exceptional. Comparatively, it's a light .308 rifle and one that I prefer over the M14. But, you'd want to sling it just like any of its competitors.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
My dealer uses an Knights SR25 - it's an awesome rifle for $ 5K or so. He has it dialed in with a suppressor.

If you want something proven and has a clip of 8 rounds I suggest looking at the Garands.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One has to evaluate if they need $5k worth of battle rifle. For most of us, that additional $3500 could be used elsewhere.

I guess you get some range cred, with the high $$ rifle & all. No not jealous, don’t mind a bit if the guy next door has the high $$ rifle.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to spend a dime on another rifle. Just purchase a 300 blackout upper and attach it to your 556 lower.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVcsbHC2FA

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The 300 blackout was meant to outclass pistol caliber carbines and doesn't fall into the category of "battle rifle."

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tens of thousands of operators with sbr’s and cans would beg to differ but okay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zero1911,

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You're the third person in this thread to show some confusion about what constitutes a battle rifle. I defined it above.

If we're all in agreement about the terminology, we can then begin to communicate effectively.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fwiw
OP is asking for a larger caliber that compliments what he already has.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yes, I mean a traditional battle rifle.

I look at an M1A/M14 with wood stock and it tickles my fancy.

But I see the practicality of an AR-10.

I suppose long-term I’d end up with both.

Enjoying the information though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:

To ease the pinch, I recommend building one in stages. Start with a LRB receiver and we can make you a beauty from there.

Tony.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:

To ease the pinch, I recommend building one in stages. Start with a LRB receiver and we can make you a beauty from there.

Tony.

Honest question...how much benefit would the extra to build one get me over say, a Springfield M1A Scout?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The Garand cost me around $2,200 to build

This one, with the Vortex Razor optic and the titanium Sadlak scope mount, comes in around $5k. Without those items, it's more like $2,500.

Tony.

I carried the M21 in the Army. I'm also National Match Armorer qualified. From that perspective, I gotta say that this guy is doing things right.

The M14/M1A has some severe design flaws that can be dangerous if not attended to. The only solution to these problems that I would accept in a civilian M1A is to have it hand made from scratch.

Well, that is if you want that particular rifle.

Personally, I like the FAL. It's a dated design in light of all the bells and whistles we use these days - but as a battle rifle it is the best all around package. Again, as a dedicated battle rifle.

I own a SCAR and haven't noticed anything unusual about it. It's very accurate for what it is,...... but it's new,.... and has a conflicting battle record,..... I like it but it's not proven.

The G3 is under rated. The roller lock system will handle ANY ammo you run trough it. Ergonomics are crap and it's difficult (or impossible) to mount optics on it. It's easy to hit a gong at 500yds so I think it has good accuracy.

That's the limits of what I have hands on knowledge of.

I've been thinking about buying an AR10. Anyone got a recommendation?

Thanks,

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honest question...how much benefit would the extra to build one get me over say, a Springfield M1A Scout?

Interested in the answer also, been looking at a Scout vs an entry level AR-10

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone has seem to have forgotten about the venerable IWI Galil ACE in .308. A phenominal thumper that takes cheap mags unlike the SCAR and is also almost half the price. For reference I also own a SCAR 17 so I'm not a hater by any stretch.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post