SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Battle Rifle recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle Rifle recommendations? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Everyone has seem to have forgotten about the venerable IWI Galil ACE in .308. A phenominal thumper that takes cheap mags unlike the SCAR and is also almost half the price. For reference I also own a SCAR 17 so I'm not a hater by any stretch.

Until I saw your oversize picture I had NO Idea these were available in 308. I bet almost everyone else on this forum is the same :-)

I may look into one. What kind of accuracy are you getting with it? I thought about the 308 Tavor but heard they were 4 MOA shooters and I have no interest in a battle rifle that inaccurate. Does the ACE shoot better than a 308 Tavor?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Which ones keep the bolt open when the magazine is empty?

Speaking only for me, that is an important feature of a "battle" rifle.

M14s, ARs, SCARs, and metric FALs do.

The ones I know of that don't are the G3/91/CETME pattern rifles, inch FALs, and the Galil Ace.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The FAL is more AR like, pistol grip, controls, etc. Good guns. I think the Galil Ace might be a better option if you go this route, price for price. Galils will be around with the cockroaches after the nuclear winter clears. But FAL has more soul.

Sounds like you want an M14 because they're cool. And they are. And that's all the reason you need. They can handle a variety of jobs just fine, and soul is there too. Something about the wood stocks, or fiberglass or however you want to configure them that just make em special, I think. I wouldn't be without one. Nothing wrong with an M1A and can be upgraded, but having one built up gives you more of the one off custom deal.

AR-10 I think you get to do a job more than the M14 or FAL, even Galil. Those are rifles I like to "hang out" with. I show em off and display em and bring em out to watch TV with me. ARs just go to the safe or back to truck, home, whatever duty. But that's just me.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
For me, assuming money is no issue (and I have all of these):

SCAR 17
Aero or CMMG AR-10
FAL
M14

I'm not a fan of the M14 ergo's. If you need to watch the funds and don't to spring for a Scar 17, an Aero AR10 is still a great weapon.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having had a FAL and a POF DI, I now have 3 SCARs (SBR 17S, Std 17S, 6.5CM 20S). Obviously I prefer the SCAR platform as they can be easily configured for multiple purposes.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want anyone to think I'm slamming the M1A from my previous post - and I don't want anyone to think they have a problem if they own one.

What I am trying to say that it's not a rifle for an unknowledgeable or unsophisticated owner. There is a lot to know and keep track of with this weapon.

And again, the info I posted is 30 years old. There are a lot of people who love this rifle and many of the problems likely have solutions.

It is indeed very much like owning a 1911.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
No sweat friend, appreciate the opinion of a guy who earned it. I wouldn't disagree with majority of what you're saying either. Especially when directed at a Match conditioned, and particularly glass bedded rifle.

A GI type rifle is pretty durable from my experience so I'd depart from you there if you don't agree but overall I think the 1911 comparison works pretty well.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Look at a PTR-91. I have a NIB JLD PTR-91 with an 18" heavy barrel. They are well built and magazines are relatively inexpensive.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Look at a PTR-91. I have a NIB JLD PTR-91 with an 18" heavy barrel. They are well built and magazines are relatively inexpensive.

How good is the accuracy on your PTR?

Thanks,

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It's still NIB even though it is a JLD so I can't say. My nephew's PTR is acceptable but certainly not a match rifle. The JLDs are supposed to be more accurate.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
90 countries chose the FAL as THE battle rifle for their military.

I loved mine to bits for as long as I had it.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could check out the MDRx from Desert Tech. It definitely holds the title for most modern Battle Rifle on the market today (Assertion from Forgotten Weapons and In Range TV). Still waiting in line for mine to ship. Added points for having quick conversion kits for 5.56, 300 BLK, and 6.5 Creedmore.

It is fully Ambi on the controls and ejection, forward and side eject options, comes with a compensator, M-locks, and suppresses easily. 16" and 20" barrel options.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I have an MDR from Desert Tech and it is an amazing rifle. Easy to bang an 8" gong at 200 yards with a red dot sight. Controls are well thought out and they work! This is one to watch!!!

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing that.

May I ask what calibre, please?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice Weshowe! I heard the original MDR's had some issues with the gas block and picky ammo. Did you have it sent back and refitted with the newer gas system?

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Wes, you need to bring that to our next shootout!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frozeniceman and all,

My MDR is what I would call a generation II gun. To date I have 500 rounds of IMI 147 gr, fnj through it with no failures. Caliber is .308. I've been trying to get a .223 conversion, but they seem to have none in stock. That is a bummer for a rifle that is billed as caliber convertable. It seems to be a fine weapon, but needs some more customer support...
The rifle has never been sent back to Desert Tech.

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Disappointing about the conversion, but satisfying to hear it's been without issue.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Weshowe,

It is great to hear that yours didn't have any issues. I take it you have the six gas position system or the newer 3 position system (Normal, Fowl, and Suppressed)?

Ya, it seems DT is hit by high demand. I suspect Forbidden Weapons and In Range probably did a bit to prop them up coupled with the recent political situation.

My search has led me to Xtreme Guns and Ammo as the largest supplier of DT equipment in the US right now.

You can order a conversion kit through them (and any other part from DT) and they should be able to leverage their size to get the kit to you in a reasonable(TM) period of time. Note, the MDRx Backlog jumped up to 2-3 months from when I ordered mine (4-6 weeks).

https://xtremegunsandammo.com/...dr&post_type=product

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrozenIceman:
(Normal, Fowl, and Suppressed)

Ah, yes... The much-anticipated new middle gas setting that allows for proper functioning while covered in Chicken. Big Grin

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post