SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Email From Magpul Today...The New Bipod Will Ship This Month...EDIT...it arrived this morning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Email From Magpul Today...The New Bipod Will Ship This Month...EDIT...it arrived this morning. Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for the report.

Magpul says that the feet can be switched with Atlas bipod feet. In looking at the one photo I could find of the Magpul, it appeared that the feet were retained with roll pins, and I got the impression that it wouldn’t be easy to switch between something from Atlas and back to the originals.

Comment?

Yep...from the instructions, just use a roll pin punch to tap out the pin...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10583 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. Not as convenient as being able to switch back and forth easily, but at least the option is there, so that’s another example of Magpul’s well thought-out designs. I have become a firm fan of using spiked bipod feet on soft surfaces, but most shooters won’t ever bother trying anything other than the factory feet, and copying Atlas’ design for switching feet would add significantly to the costs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
There shouldn't be anything keeping you from using a cotter pin or a screw of some kind if you want to make them easier to swap.

And if the pin is held by the plastic and not the foot it should be a fairly easy one to punch out.

Like you mentioned most people don't change the feet, so adding hex pockets or a thumb screw would likely result in more complaints than praises.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information - on my Brownells wish list now.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
There shouldn't be anything keeping you from using a cotter pin or a screw of some kind if you want to make them easier to swap.

And if the pin is held by the plastic and not the foot it should be a fairly easy one to punch out.

Like you mentioned most people don't change the feet, so adding hex pockets or a thumb screw would likely result in more complaints than praises.

They probably had to use the roll pin to avoid patent infringement. But if the hole is in the correct location, Atlas feet (with a detent) should work.

Their description says that the legs are polymer skin over aluminum, so it's probably aluminum holding the pin.

What I want to know is will this QD work?

http://www.accu-shot.com/catal...atlas-accessory.html

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For this...I have no idea (I feel it should interface with any adapter that interfaces between Picatinny onto Picatinny )...but I do know that if you order the option to mate with the A.R.M.S 17S dooberdauber for QD (from Magpul's website) which would have added close to $100 to the price point (if you can find those dooberdaubers in stock...which would pretty much take the price point away)...other than that, "I'm just a simple caveman who doesn't understand your modern practices" Big Grin...I just ordered and mounted on a Picatinny rail (which let me mount the bipod on a KeyMod rail).

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10583 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
The QD from my link is $65, and is the one that ships with Atlas bipods. They work great (better than the ARMS one, IMO). Combined with the Magpul bipod, that's about $170, which is still far cheaper than an Atlas with that attachment (about $300). But if the legs don't lock at 45°, that's going to deter some people.

posted Hide Post
The legs only lock at 90 degrees (all the way open to all the way folded towards the front...no stops in between)...so this may be an issue for some...but not for my application (which is range time)...I still like the link to that QD adapter Smile...thank you...better price than tha Atlas Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:
But if the legs don't lock at 45°, that's going to deter some people.

An interesting coincidence:
I’ve owned Atlas bipods and used them extensively for years, but had never found the 45° feature to be of any value. Just today, though, while experimenting with my new AR-10 type rifle I found that when the legs were extended straight down it positioned the scope too high for comfortable use. When I folded the legs forward at 45°, though, I’m happy again.

Most people will probably never use that feature, but if it’s needed, it’s good to have.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul's bipod has nice features for an attractive price. I almost ordered one. But two things are an issue for me.

First, the lack of the 45 degree positions, both forward and backward. I don't use this very often -- maybe one or two stages a year. Not absolutely necessary, but a nice feature.

Second, and the most important. The legs appear to collapse with backward pressure. This is a real deal killer if it's true. In one or two stages per match -- the ones we where don't shoot prone all the time -- there are positions which forward weighting of the bipod either isn't optimal or possible. The more common is shooting from a prop that mimics the peak of a roof. The second is from a smooth-faced rock that slopes forward.

I'm certain that the Magpul bipod will be great for many shooters. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work for me.

Posts: 7865 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The legs appear to collapse with backward pressure. This is a real deal killer if it's true.

Thanks for pointing that out. Even with the type of shooting I do, that could be a problem on occasion. Sometimes I find myself having to drag the rifle back when getting into position, and having everything collapse would be bad, and then there’s shooting from improvised rests.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
When the legs are in the bipod position...they are securely locked in that position...each leg has its own large locking button that must be pressed to unlock/free that leg for folding. If the legs are correctly down (it's a fairly audible click when they lock) I can't see how they would collapse by dragging Smile

Jimmy Buffet

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I can't see how they would collapse by dragging Smile

Well, now: That’s a perfect example of why this forum and these discussions are so great.
Thanks for the clarification. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
You can see the buttons just behind the pivot point on this photo from Magpul...another neat thing about it...that big assed knurled tilt/pan tension adjustment knob in the center of the bipod has a rubber insert on the bottom to add slip resistance if you use the bipod with the legs folded up.

Jimmy Buffet

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Brownells today that my backordered black Picatinny mount one has been shipped.

ETA: Arrived today, 9/8. Very nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3441 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Got an email from Brownells today that my backordered black Picatinny mount one has been shipped.

I see that the FDE is listed on Midway as "Overdue, coming soon". I'm going to pick up the ARMS model, but I'll probably still use Atlas for matches.