SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    VORTEX Magnifier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VORTEX Magnifier Login/Join 
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted
I have been looking at the VMX-3T Magnifier
With Flip Mount. I recently took my 556 Swat Patrol with Vortex SparcII shooting at a 100yard indoor range. Besides them having the lane dark all the way out to the 100 yrd mark, I was blind as hell. I always wanted the magnifier when I had my EoTech, but was never willing to spend more for the magnifier than the sight. I saw the Vortex for under $200 including the flip-out mount but wanted to hear what people think about magnifiers in general. I know it would add bulk to my rifle, but I'm not trekking long distances.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have that exact magnifier. It made my dot frustratingly big. It is good for better identifying your target but made the dot obscure the target like cleaning bluegill with a machete.

Pay a little more and get a primary arms 3x scope or this at the same price point. It weighs the same as the dot sight and magnifyer.

Link

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I just purchased one and put it on my .300aac behind a PA red dot with the 2moa ACSS reticle. Could not be happier. My aging eyes love it. Its crisp, gathers light pretty well, and seems solid. The only thing I did was reverse the flip mount to swing right. Its set up for left swing but that obstructed my view as a right hander. I just took it north for deer and was more than happy with the results.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Works great, I got mine from B&H with a free set of Arc Aegis glasses, so my next was like $125 for it.

I have the Primary Arms one and it's fine, but prefer the Vortex.

I'm sure the difference of opinions is primarily due to the Q/C of individual pieces, or lackthereof.

quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
The only thing I did was reverse the flip mount to swing right.

Same here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
I have it, works well, but the eye relief is really short - you have to get right up on it.

Mine didn't come attached to the mount which saved me from having to remove it and reverse it to flip off to the right - I simply mounted it that way from the start.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Got 1 mounted behind a StrikeFire II Red/Green dot... On the Red setting if turned up to high it does seem to over magnify the dot a bit that it looks kind of blurry. On Green regardless of brightness the dot is nice and crisp!

Another magnifier to look at, at the same price point is Burris 3x...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thing to remember with a 3x mag, since you are looking for more precision with the magnifier in place, is to turn the illumination on the dot down so it is a bit harder to find - more like a scope reticle vs a 1x red dot.

The eye relief on the VMT-3x is pretty short, I'll agree. But honestly my primary use of a 3x is getting a really tight zero with a RDS and as a contingency should I need a longer range shot with a RDS rifle - so for me, the Vortex is perfect and I like it better than the PA 3x I traded into - it's smaller, more sleek and easier for me to use.

Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Have the Vortex 3x to use in conjunction with the MOR on my Tavor. Use it mainly for 3 gun, and so for close range stuff it easily flips to the side and for longer range use with my old(er) eyes it's the cat's ass. Eye relief is a bit short, but that's fine too with the bull pup hold.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Newf,

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Save just a bit more and buy the Samson 3.5x

Lots of reviews on YouTube as to why.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I have one on my SBR behind an EXPS2. Works great, much nicer than the EOTech magnifier.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Works great, much nicer than the EOTech magnifier.

What don't you like about the EOTech? What do you like better about the Vortex?

Thanks

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Vortex is clearer and less expensive.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that vortex magnifier and I love it. Pairs up perfectly with my EOtech.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 28, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm having a HARD time with my vortex products. The magnifier's eye relief is terrible, and the strikefire it was sold with (as a package), doesn't line up within the adjustment range of the magnifier.

Turns out, the switchology of the strifire 2, bugs the crap out of me.

Seriously thinking about selling the whole setup and going to a 4x acog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I just finally mounted my SparcII and Vortex magnifier. I love it, turned the dot to a lower setting and then dialed in the focus on the magnifier, the eye relief is damn near perfect for my setup.

I also set up the flip to rotate clockwise out of my line of sight.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Save just a bit more and buy the Samson 3.5x

Lots of reviews on YouTube as to why.

^^^^This

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex is fine for the $$$.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's all about the mount IMO.

I bought a used Eotech years ago and the seller threw in this no name knock off air soft Chinese magnifier. And the stupid piece of junk was GREAT! Or at least it would have been had the mount not been a no name knock off air soft Chinese piece of junk. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post