SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CMP receives 99,000 additional M1 Garand rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP receives 99,000 additional M1 Garand rifles Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. A Service Grade is the best value (condition vs. price). It would be my recommendation for a first/only Garand.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just realized the CMP store in Alabama is close to my in-laws. How does it work purchasing a rifle out of state there? Do the run the FFL and you take it home or do you pick it out and they ship it to a local FFL?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No FFL needed. As long as you bring all the necessary documents and pass the NICS background check, you can take a rifle home with you. Just like when you mail order a rifle from the CMP, it ships directly to you.

(Provided there are no other state/local laws against that where you live, like in certain restrictive locales.)

However, the pickings are reportedly pretty slim at the CMP Stores right now. I'd wait for them to process in some of these new rifles and restock the shelves before planning a trip.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No FFL needed. As long as you bring all the necessary documents and pass the NICS background check, you can take a rifle home with you. Just like when you mail order a rifle from the CMP, it ships directly to you.

(Provided there are no other state/local laws against that where you live, like in certain restrictive locales.)

However, the pickings are reportedly pretty slim at the CMP Stores right now. I'd wait for them to process in some of these new rifles and restock the shelves before planning a trip.

I don't get down there until June. Can you buy more than one?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. You're limited to 8 rifles per calendar year.

posted Hide Post
I purchased a service grade M1 about four years ago. It looked like it had not been used at all. And it shoots very well. I use mine in the Military issue cast bullet shoots. I might have to consider another one.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I don't get down there until June. Can you buy more than one?

keep in mind they will ship for you if sales tax in Alabama is more expensive than shipping

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
keep in mind they will ship for you if sales tax in Alabama is more expensive than shipping

How true plus they ship in a nice rifle carry case.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I was fearing I might have missed the chance to get one of these. Hopefully they'll have the new batch sorted pretty quick, I'd love to take a trip down to Camp Perry and pick one out.

I've shot a Garand, owning one is definitely on the list.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way they will ship from the “store” any longer is if you flew in and can show an airline ticket. The local tax officials didn’t like the way they were doing things. Also yes the limit is 8 per year but there are limits on certain manufacturers and grades you can purchase per day

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to collect M1s. Got most from the CMP. The nicest were by far the HRAs. I'd still be buying them if the ammunition was still cheap and available. The CMP used to have such great stuff. M14 bolts for $35. m14 op rods for $50, trigger groups for $35. it was a buyer's paradise.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I should get a Garand.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should.

I firmly believe that every American shooter ought to own at least one.

They're not only great fun to shoot, but they're interestingly well-designed machines, and important pieces of US history to boot.

posted Hide Post
Excellent news. I want to buy number 5, clean it up, dig through my bins of M1 parts, and make a correct one for my son. Maybe 2, one for my daughter as well.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One each: M1 & 1911 please Smile

Yep, need to do it!

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I love you rogue. We were friends. Now, when I explain to my wife why I bought three, and will only shoot one, I request permission to move into your basement/closet/whereeveryougotroombro, and we can compare the Garands and those sexy 1911's. At service grade

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can share the couch with the dog. He's 135 pounds, but he loves to cuddle.

posted Hide Post
Quality of the rifles has fallen off a bit as of fall 2016. It may have improved somewhat but doubt.

Too much of my three rifle order I last did was corroded and reparked with new stocks. They shoot fine and all but so much rework its not what you might like.

I bet with close to 100,000 more rifles coming in the qualities available will improve.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Filipino rifles made landfall, and the 44 semi trucks full of Garands were arriving at CMP last week, as of mid week, I think their was 28 trucks already, and the Army officially signed over the 8,000 1911's for the first years batch to the CMP also last week. Should be awhile before either of those make it to available for purchase. They have to be gone through by the armorers and classified according to condition.

After this batch, their is still an approx. 40,000 Filipino Garands that can be brought back to the states in the future. Not to mention all the others sitting oversees in other countries. I know their are a bunch of Italian .308 converted garands sitting in a warehouse somewhere in italy.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been putting this off long enough.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post