SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CMP receives 99,000 additional M1 Garand rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP receives 99,000 additional M1 Garand rifles Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
The CMP announced at SHOT Show that they are in the process of receiving new shipments with a total of 99,000 M1 Garand rifles, including 86,000 back from the Phillipines and 13,000 back from Turkey. They're being transferred over by the Army as we speak.

That's good news for future Garand buyers. The CMP's stocks of rifles had dwindled down quite a bit lately, to the point where they were estimating that they would run out within the next couple years.

But this recent influx of rifles should allow them to keep selling Garands for years to come. This not only will allow plenty more folks to purchase a fantastic rifle and a great piece of history, but will also allow the CMP to continue to generate revenue to fund their marksmanship programs and competitions.

They also briefly addressed the ever-present questions about 1911 pistols, saying that they'll be receiving between 8,000 and 10,000 from the Army sometime this year, hopefully starting within the next few months. They're still getting set up to process these, and working on the order forms. Ordering info, dates, and pricing is still yet to come.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Definitely good news.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
If only M1 Carbines could be found. Frown

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Still need that CMP IHC M1.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many Garand rifles CMP has sold in all?

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rifles from Turkey may have some merit. But the stuff from the Phillipines (jungle rot/ rusty etc.) may turn out to be the same type of junk they looked at in South Korea and decided they were not worthwhile to bring back.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The better condition rifles can be sold as-is, and the worse condition rifles can be stripped for parts, sandblasted and reparkerized, and used to build the "CMP Special" rifles, which are a mix of refinished USGI parts and new commercial parts.

(This Filipino soldiers says "Rust and jungle rot? Not on my rifle!" Big Grin)

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Good news, Rogue. Thanks for posting it!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M1917 bought 20+ years ago that reportedly had come back from the Philippines (but not a CMP purchase). It was in great condition, just one stacking swivel screw was missing. If the Garands are similar...

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nice. I really would love to have a Garand.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
There was a video posted in the last few months here that showed the Phillipino army training local militia with quite a mix of longarms, but there was a good portion of the squad armed with M1's, and they looked to not only be in very serviceable condition, a few of them looked pretty damn good. There was one with a birch stock that had such beautiful grain on it, I was just about drooling. They all had nice, shiny stainless gas cylinders like the one in Rogue's picture above.

I wouldn't count the Phillipino M1's out as being total garbage. Not until the CMP has had a chance to even look at them and begin grading them, surely.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
They all had nice, shiny stainless gas cylinders like the one in Rogue's picture above.

To be fair, that's a sign of use and wear. The gas cylinders on Garands are machined from stainless steel. So unlike the rest of the rifle, they can't be parkerized. The were finished at the factory with a molten dichromate blackening. But this is a less durable finish than parkerizing, so it tends to wear more quickly than the finish on the rest of the rifle. And the blackening was a complicated chemical process that couldn't be easily reapplied outside of a factory/arsenal refurbishment. So you tend to see shiny gas cylinders on Garands that have seen a lot of use.

The typical US military method of addressing worn, shiny gas cylinders in the field was to simply repaint the outside of the gas cylinder with flat black paint.

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
What are the prices on these?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
CMP's prices are:

$1030 for a Special Grade (Refurbished/Rebuilt with some new commercial parts)
$730 for a Service Grade (Very Good)
$630 for a Field Grade (Good)
$530 for a Rack Grade (Fair)

That's for a common Garand made by Springfield or Harrington & Richardson. International Harvester and Winchester Garands are usually several hundred more.

They also occasionally have Correct Grade (Excellent) and Collector Grade (Like New/Unissued) rifles, but those are rare and typically sold at auction rather than mail order.

posted Hide Post
Pricing seems fair, but what exactly does good and very good entail. I am hesitant of sight unseen purchases of late, even for NIB items. Seems my expectations may be a little high...

Oh, Garand collector's Assoc. membership is still enough to buy right?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Pricing seems fair, but what exactly does good and very good entail. I am hesitant of sight unseen purchases of late, even for NIB items. Seems my expectations may be a little high...

CMP has detailed descriptions of their grading scale on their website:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

RACK GRADE: (FAIR)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many digs, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”. The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

FIELD GRADE: (FAIR TO GOOD)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; may have pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

SERVICE GRADE: (GOOD TO VERY GOOD)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

CMP SPECIAL: (EXCELLENT)
CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting

CORRECT GRADE: (VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT)
Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. This grade is rare and is only available occasionally in limited quantities. Because of the scarcity of these rifles, they will only be sold on the CMP auction site

COLLECTOR GRADE: (EXCELLENT)
Collector Grade Rifles show almost no wear or use and have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Data sheets prepared by CMP armorers are included in the butt trap of each Collector Grade Rifle. Excellent condition - little or no use. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Because of the scarcity of these rifles, they will only be sold on the CMP auction site

quote:
Oh, Garand collector's Assoc. membership is still enough to buy right?

Yes, a GCA membership fulfills the club membership requirement. There are a few other requirements that also have to be met, like proof of citizenship, proof of age, proof of marksmanship activity, etc.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ri...bility-requirements/

posted Hide Post
$229.00 each, I will take four please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure. All you have to do is jump in your time machine and go back to the 1970s. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Seems like service grade is the place to start. Thanks for the post.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post