SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Samson Manufacturing Old School Ruger Mini 14 folding stock
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samson Manufacturing Old School Ruger Mini 14 folding stock Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
That's really cool MG34_Dan. Does it have any OKHP markings? That's a cool piece of history.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
That's really cool MG34_Dan. Does it have any OKHP markings? That's a cool piece of history.

Unfortunately it does not.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this will be the final straw for me. I have waffles back and forth on buying a Mini but if\when these actually start shipping I will have to buy one and a Mini-14 to mount it to.

I can see it now, me hip firing the Mini with the stock folded while smoking a comically big cigar.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Let's just say....I'm a fan! (all four now have proper side-mount sling gas blocks)

Ruger joining Samson's effort had a lot to do with keeping the price under $300 (if that holds).

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
PGT appears to be an honorary A-Team member with that nice set of 4. Cool (yes, big fan of the A-Team here)

My brother's bought new late 80s stainless folding stock Mini-14 was the first centerfire rifle I ever fired. Not a particularly accurate example of the rifle (by our much more demanding standards of today), even with a scope attached to it, but fun to shoot none the less. He ended up selling it a couple of years later along with a Beretta AR-70 which he/we never even fired only fondled (don't get me started).

I ended up buying a non-folding Mini-14 a few years later due to the nostalgia of it even though the folder was no longer available, and again, while fun, I ended up selling it because it was just "ok". Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the looks and styling of the Mini, and the general proportions and handling as well, especially with the folding stock, but I just wish it was more...well...just more than the sum of its parts.

It still holds a lot of sentimental value to me for obvious reasons and I know there have been supposed improvements over the years, but I don't know that the return of the folding stock will be enough to try it yet again for a third time, but who knows? Maybe third time would be the charm, but I'm not thinking about rushing out to buy one, at least not yet.

It is still nice to see the return of the folding stock though.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might have to get a Ruger Mini 30 now and get this folding stock !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I always liked the look of the Mini but after having 2 and neither could shoot under 6" at 100 I swore I'd never own another (this was in the 80's and 90's)

Then a couple months ago I was at a local show and saw a stainless in a Choate Machine & Tool folding stock and was smitten. I saw one with the factory wooden folder but the stock was wobbly for the same price, went back and got the one in the Choate stock, even tho it's most likely a converted Ranch Rifle since it doesn't have the bayo lug.

When I got home I looked up the serial number, late 80's ... I started to kick myself but then resigned to not scope it and just accept the fact that it'll never be as accurate as an AR ... plus I'm not hung up on shooting itty-bitty groups anymore either.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Mini-14 is not a long range rifle, but it excels as a house gun.

Posts: 107224 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Mini-14 is not a long range rifle, but it excels as a house gun.

For the $600 I paid, I could have gotten a decent AR at todays prices, but I don't need another AR ... I haven't even really shot it for group size, or even shot it off the bench (to avoid getting PO'd about it), but off-hand I can hit a 12" gong at 100 and I'm okay with that ... it is what it is, and I think she's Purdy.

Although, Dan has some pretty impressive ones too!

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind owning one if it came attached to an AC556!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I wouldn't mind owning one if it came attached to an AC556!!!!

Well, yeah ... that is an option thats completely acceptable too.

posted Hide Post
I love my Mini's, but both my 14 and 30 are of the newer 581 Tactical variety, both with Ulimak rails and scout mounted red dots. Suprisingly competitive in multi-gun matches in stages less than 75m. On the 200-300m target stages it's just easier to get the shots out faster and hope for the best. Inside of 100m though it's an animal...the close optic over bore distance is extremely helpful, and the fast handling of a straight stocked rifle is taken for granted by most.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking about the new .22 caliber Glock 44 reminded me of this thread. I can’t help but hope that after they release the Mini-14 folding stock that they go back and modify a 10/22 stock with this same feature. I would love to have both carbines set up this way.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That "SBR" Look also to be full auto. Nice

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Thinking about the new .22 caliber Glock 44 reminded me of this thread. I can’t help but hope that after they release the Mini-14 folding stock that they go back and modify a 10/22 stock with this same feature. I would love to have both carbines set up this way.

They are already doing it!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
These rifles always remind me of the old TV Show "The A-Team".

They were big Mini-14 fans.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, that is good! "B-TM" B-Team! That made me laugh!

Even if I hadn’t been the one asking about a folder for the 10/22 I would buy one just because of the name. My son will love this when he is older.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
These rifles always remind me of the old TV Show "The A-Team".

They were big Mini-14 fans.

To be honest, that’s pretty much 90% of the appeal of the folding stock.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Wow, the Ruger 10/22 folding stock looks great too! Eek

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
How does one get a proper side sling gas block to accompany the stock?

I remember and still have heartburn with Ruger from back in the day when old man Ruger said you and I could not be trusted with any factory mag greater than 5 rds!

And a factory flash hider was right out!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3491 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post