SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bling M14's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bling M14's Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
One LRB and one Bula rifle finished in NP3 in Blackfeather chassis with Lothar-Walther medium barrels and Shooting Sight triggers

Never done any like this before. NP3 cost $750 to do both rifles. Each rifle, without optics costs about $5,000

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Man that looks sharp!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! I got to shoot an M14 recently, and now I really want an M1A. You're not helping!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
These rifles gave me two vibes. One was a shipboard defensive rifle and the other was an Oakland Raiders vibe.

At first-glance, it looks like an all-stainless Mini-14

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nice looking couple of guns. That finish really makes them standout and they still look classy.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Wow that looks awesome. I bet those are shooters too.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The A-Team on steroids.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Do that to my McMillan M3A/Walther build and there's gonna be a fight...;-)

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet that would look awesome in a walnut stock

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I say they will look hot in walnut stock!!! Very nice as it is, indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I bet that would look awesome in a walnut stock

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
Tony,

Do that to my McMillan M3A/Walther build and there's gonna be a fight...;-)

Wes

Where's your sense of adventure?!

posted Hide Post
Tony,

It's got nothing to do with my "sense of adventure". I just think there's a little to much bling there...

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Cleaning it after a good range trip should be simple and quick.

Who did the coating?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Nice!
Cleaning it after a good range trip should be simple and quick.

Who did the coating?

Vang Comp out of Arizona.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Benny. That's the company that picked up when Robar closed its doors, correct?

Let us know how it holds up, and how the cleanup on that bad-mamma-jama is. Especially that piston. A few buddies have the NP3 on their AR's and cleaning it is super easy!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great,
Knowing zilch about M14 rifles, I started reading articles and watching videos on the www.

It seems like there is always at least one mention of critical contention about this gun.

I am glad you posted this thread.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, unfortunately there are issues. I tested both rifles before plating and they ran great.

After plating, both rifles failed to cycle. I didn't have one time where the rifle fired and chambered another round successfully. I had instances where the bolt never unlocked and I had to cycle the action by hand. I had other instances where the action cycled and fed a new round, but lacked the momentum to close the bolt. A bump with my hand was required to fully close the bolt on a new round.

After investigation, I found a biproduct of the process coated inside the gas pistons. It was almost like clay. I ran my gas cylinder drill bit into the inside of the piston tail and the grooves in the drill bit were full. I did not notice this when I assembled the rifles.

The coating inside the gas cylinders also closed up the inside diameter below minimum spec.

The minimum spec is 0.5000". I happen to have a precision gauge pin that is 0.5000" in diameter. The gauge pin would not slide into the piston. The coating on the piston and the coating inside the cylinder did not leave enough tolerance to move freely, despite the teflon infused nickel plating.

I used a chamber hone to bring the inside diameter within spec and I'll try again with an uncoated piston if problems persist. Uncoated pistons had a smaller outside diameter than the coated piston.

I should note that Sadlak makes their pistons small knowing that the TiN plating will bring the pistons to spec. It seems that applying NP3 to a standard gas piston increases the diameter too much, even though the plating thickness is about 10um.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Benny, any updates?

I can't believe it wouldn't fire/cycle. I would have bet money that it would be within acceptable tolerances. I'm surprised!

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I polished the inside of the gas cylinders so that they would accept a precision 0.50000" gauge rod. I expect them to cycle next time out on the range. I'm also taking spare gas pistons in case they still fail with the NP3'd pistons.

I'll update you on the status after I test them.

Tony.