SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR rifle or pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR rifle or pistol? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
OK - I bought a spare lower a couple of years ago, planning to build an AR pistol, for no reason other than they were kind of a big deal a few years ago. I'm at the point now where I want to build something, but I can't decide between a rifle (which I already have) or a pistol. I really have no need for either, other than to pass on to my kids if the need ever arises. So...rifle? or pistol?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If it's a "just because" build, then I'd be tempted to say you ought to go with a pistol chambered in a fun (as in, bigger than or faster than the 5.56x45mm) caliber. At the same time, one can always convert a pistol into a rifle but the federales seem to have a problem with converting a rifle into a pistol.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Pistol.

I put together a 10.5" .300 Blk pistol last year. No, I did not need, it but wanted one.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Pistol.

After assembling hundreds of AR pistols for others, I figured I'd do one up for myself.

11.5" that's a little bit budget and a little bit higher-end.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
At this point you have to build based on whatever parts you can find. My friend who is a dealer here in NH can't find any barrels.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
At this point you have to build based on whatever parts you can find. My friend who is a dealer here in NH can't find any barrels.

There's a store local to me that has all the components to build several Aero rifles or pistols. Everything except BCG's.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pistol.
Now you have a rifle and a pistol in the same caliber!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post