SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Dissipator upper assembly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dissipator upper assembly Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I have always wanted one. Does anyone know of a source for a traditional Dissipator upper (preferably reasonably priced)? By that, I mean full A2 style handguards and gas system, 16" barrel.

In lieu of that, what would shortening a 20" upper entail besides the obvious chop and rethread? Is the gas system gtg, or would it need alteration.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have an orginal 1990s era Bushmaster 16" Dissipator I bought new. I can tell you that orginal Bushmaster Dissipator uses a carbine length gas system and the gas tube does not go to the FSB but rather a low profile gas block under the hand guards. Most mfg of Dissipators styles now days use a mid lengh gas system. That would be the way to go If building a new one. I would not try to build a Dissipator with a rifle length gas system because the gas port would have to be huge if you could get it to work.

PSA sells SS Mid length uppers along with others.

http://palmettostatearmory.com.../?q=DISSIPATOR+UPPER

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spinta Precision offers a rifle gas dissipator barrel in a lightweight profile, but is currently out of stock. I am guessing building your own is gonna be your best bet for a true rifle length gas system.
As stated above, most are running a faux FSB and low profile gas block under the hadguards in either carbine or middy. I have the stainless middy from PSA and I am happy enough with it. Rifle sight radius and middy reliability. YMMV.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I liked the look as well but went with a faux dissy as Jelly did. PSA has had some good sales on these and other uppers lately.

This one with Romeo 7 optics.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies; I think a middy will be the way to go- I don’t think I want to get into potential issues of dialing in a home grown full length gas tube. PSA is a no brainer for me. I have a good bit of their products floating around and ZERO issues on any front.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same dissy upper as Rinehart from PSA and it's great. All of the good dissy looks with none of the drawbacks of the rifle length gas tube.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a PSA build as well, just with a regular barrel, not stainless. Used the same MOE Fixed Carbine stock as Scurvy, just modded my buffer tube for a little more length of pull.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Did a PSA build as well, just with a regular barrel, not stainless. Used the same MOE Fixed Carbine stock as Scurvy, just modded my buffer tube for a little more length of pull.

I really like the looks of the fixed MOE stock; it looks like one could deliver a serious butt stroke with it if need be without damaging anything but the recipient.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I really like the looks of the fixed MOE stock; it looks like one could deliver a serious butt stroke with it if need be without damaging anything but the recipient.

Ever been through a training course where all the students have to clear instructor-induced jams via mortaring? Every buttstock I've seen -- even the lightest ones -- have survived mortaring without issues and placed noticeable dents in wood surfaces and in hard ground.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I did a PSA mock dissipator upper with a midlength gas assembly. I think I would have liked it better if the barrel had been a thinner profile than gov't. It was much more front-heavy than I would have liked and I eventually wound up getting rid of it for a mid-weight barrel midlength gas upper with a full length floated rail and liking the practical outcome of it better.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:

I really enjoy it. I was going for a modded out M16 look.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA Dissipator as well. Originally built it with an MOE carbine stock. I later switched to an A2 stock, which I like much better with this upper.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post