SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    recoil , 30-30 and 45-70
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recoil , 30-30 and 45-70 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Having never shot either the 30-30 or 45/70 I got to wondering how they would compare to a 2 3/4 dram 12 guage shotgun target shell. Turns out the 12 gauage load has approximately 23 ft.lbs of recoil energy. Weather permitting I usually shoot 100-150 rounds or 12 gage every weekend and it gives this 150 lbs. 65 year old no problems at all. Fact is I don't even notice the recoil when I'm shooting. So, what's the point.

One is you should never underestimate an old geezer with a shotgun, cause you just might get spanked.

Second is that if you are shooting a thumper it would be wise to shoot standing while supporting the barrel with some shooting sticks. Because allowing your whole body to soak up the recoil makes for a much softer shooting experience.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The .45-70 is the only gun that ever made my shoulder bleed.

I had a Marlin 1895. I had never shot any .45-70 before when I took it to the range in summer time wearing only a t-shirt. That Marlin had a hard-rubber but pad, not a recoil pad. I think I was shooting Remington 300 grain SJHP. I put a few rounds through it. Recoil was very stout. After a while, I noticed dots on my shirt near my collar bone. Pulled my neck hole out, looked down, and sure enough my shoulder was was getting contuses so much blood was eeping in out in little dots.

The .30-30 is no slouch in the recoil department, either. First one I fire was when i was 12 or so. My grandfather's old Marlin take-down made in 1904. It had a curved metal butt plate. I remember it was very hard slapper. Most uncomfortable.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Winchester 94 carbine with just a metal butt plate and every trigger pull was a very unpleasant experience. My son has an old bolt action 30-30 and it's nowhere near as painful to shoot.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Really have to clarify if using black powder or smokeless. While both work, there is a difference.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post