SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for an AR-15 BCG cleaning tool?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for an AR-15 BCG cleaning tool? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Multi-tool, dedicated tool kit, etc. etc.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one.

My favorite cleaning solution and 3x3 cotton patches work just fine on the BCG. Same for the bolt, too. For the rare occasion that I need to scrape a little carbon off the bolt, an old 223 brass case works great.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Otis B.O.N.E. tool.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Real Avid one.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I've used the C.A.T. M4 tool for years, even give them away as gifts to known-M4/AR users.

I can't say that it's better than the newer stuff on the market, but I like mine.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I don't have one.

My favorite cleaning solution and 3x3 cotton patches work just fine on the BCG. Same for the bolt, too. For the rare occasion that I need to scrape a little carbon off the bolt, an old 223 brass case works great.

this

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
I've used the C.A.T. M4 tool for years, even give them away as gifts to known-M4/AR users.

I can't say that it's better than the newer stuff on the market, but I like mine.

I also like the C.A.T. M4 tool.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
What do you all like as a cleaning solution?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

CLP if it's a little dirty, and brake cleaner if it's really dirty.

(Just be sure to keep the brake cleaner away from any wood, rubber, and most plastics.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I like a worn 5.56 chamber brush and a small pen knife.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My brother gave me this Gerber tool for Christmas year before last...I’ve used the torx screw driver more than anything else (I did use the castle nut wrench at the range to tighten up the nut on another shooter’s rifle that was not staked)...it takes up little space...

https://tacticalgear.com/gerbe...r15-maintenance-tool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another C.A.T. M4 tool fan here. I think I’ve had mine just over a decade now.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's nice. I may have to get one.

quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
My brother gave me this Gerber tool for Christmas year before last...I’ve used the torx screw driver more than anything else (I did use the castle nut wrench at the range to tighten up the nut on another shooter’s rifle that was not staked)...it takes up little space...

https://tacticalgear.com/gerbe...r15-maintenance-tool

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, some patches and a brush.

Slip 2000 web site

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Brass brush and Hoppe's or bore cleaner. It does not need to be perfectly clean. It needs to be well lubed.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, some patches and a brush.

Slip 2000 web site

quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Brass brush and Hoppe's or bore cleaner. It does not need to be perfectly clean. It needs to be well lubed.

Amen and amen.

Personally I use a GI toothbrush, ALG Go Juice, paper towels.

Overthinking AR cleaning and using tons of tools are silly and remind me of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDmP3_75EY

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ways in which you shoot ARs and the frequency of cleaning also factors into your claning solution decisions.

I just finished cleaning and lubing two ARs that I shot over the weekend. Each rifle had 75+ rounds from the day, all of which were suppressed. Fairly high quality ammo was used. Both ARs were clean from the start. I shot 5 groups of 5 rounds at targets from 320 yards to 493 yards. The 25-ish rounds for each target group were shot in fairly rapid succession. The barrels were warm and the suppressors were quite hot after the 25 rounds. Then the rifles cooled as I walked out to the targets to assess results and repaint the steel targets.

I cleaned the BCGs and barrels with RemOil and patches. Cleanup was easy and pretty quick -- just spray and wipe. No scrubbing was necessary to remove carbon deposits, however being suppressed resulted in quite a bit of carbon/oil residue on the bolt and bolt carrier. One BCG is the old school parkerized, the other is nickel boron plated. There were essentially no differences in cleanup.

My ARs get cleaned and relubed after every shooting session, which can be from 50 to 200 rounds. My rifles have never choked in training or competition. If a person goes many hundreds or even thousands of rounds between cleanings, then yes I believe special tools might be necessary to clean the bolt. That's not me. But I've seen quality ARs go down in competition, for people who wear their infrequent cleaning and lubing like a badges of honor. Their badges of honor took suck sessions when their scores tanked, after their ARs choked.

My cleaning practices have worked across multiple ARs, with a combined 25,000 and climbing round count.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The ways in which you shoot ARs and the frequency of cleaning also factors into your claning solution decisions.

I just finished cleaning and lubing two ARs that I shot over the weekend. Each rifle had 75+ rounds from the day, all of which were suppressed. Fairly high quality ammo was used. Both ARs were clean from the start. I shot 5 groups of 5 rounds at targets from 320 yards to 493 yards. The 25-ish rounds for each target group were shot in fairly rapid succession. The barrels were warm and the suppressors were quite hot after the 25 rounds. Then the rifles cooled as I walked out to the targets to assess results and repaint the steel targets.

I cleaned the BCGs and barrels with RemOil and patches. Cleanup was easy and pretty quick -- just spray and wipe. No scrubbing was necessary to remove carbon deposits, however being suppressed resulted in quite a bit of carbon/oil residue on the bolt and bolt carrier. One BCG is the old school parkerized, the other is nickel boron plated. There were essentially no differences in cleanup.

My ARs get cleaned and relubed after every shooting session, which can be from 50 to 200 rounds. My rifles have never choked in training or competition. If a person goes many hundreds or even thousands of rounds between cleanings, then yes I believe special tools might be necessary to clean the bolt. That's not me. But I've seen quality ARs go down in competition, for people who wear their infrequent cleaning and lubing like a badges of honor. Their badges of honor took suck sessions when their scores tanked, after their ARs choked.

My cleaning practices have worked across multiple ARs, with a combined 25,000 and climbing round count.

I shoot mostly suppressed fullauto. Not shooting for groups, simply shooting steel at 100-550. I lube a lot, clean infrequently.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post