SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American Rifle magazines- fixed yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Rifle magazines- fixed yet? Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
Has Ruger fixed the piece of crap, useless, junk magazines that go with the American series bolt rifle? I bought one for my son in 308. Little did I know the garbage they include as a magazine. It is really cheaply made and delicate. The little plastic tabs that hold it in place snap off easily. If you drop it, it is easily damaged. And they are not ashamed to charge $35 apiece. I'm sorry I bought it now. It's so bad it makes me look like an idiot for buying it. Anybody hear of any upgrades or improvements?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems with my .243 Win Standard and .308 Predator. I've had both for a couple of years and run several hundred rounds through each.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never noticed how different the magazines from the RAR Standard and RAR Predator really are until your post. I took a few photos of them hoping it will be helpful to you.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Magpul recently announced a stock set that accepts detachable AICS-pattern magazines. But at ~$300, it costs nearly as much as the RAR itself...

https://www.magpul.com/product...merican-short-action

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm considering an MDT LSS chassis. I did confirm with them that you can use the Magpul AICS mags, but they may need some minor trimming.

MDT LSS Chassis

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Are those magazines for an airsoft? Eek

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are those magazines for an airsoft? Eek

No they are the cheapest magazines ever from for a rifle that feels like it was made from 100% recycled plastics.

They shoot amazingly well. The mag just feels like you could crush it with your hand.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Magpul recently announced a stock set that accepts detachable AICS-pattern magazines. But at ~$300, it costs nearly as much as the RAR itself...

While I agree the two big issues with the gun and the stock itself. This removes the issues, gives an adjustable stock and uses mags from a highly available source.

$640 for a quality stocked adjustable rifle that takes Pmags? The Remington version of that is $900/

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My predator 22-250 magazine would spit out all the rounds if you removed it from the rifle and it still had rounds in it.

Super annoying.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to send my brand new ruger America rimfire in for canted sights. The front sight was off and there idea to fix it was to push the rear dove tail all the way to one side. No idea on the mags.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Ever bought an AI mag? Sure, they're metal.

Companies charging some shekels for their mags isn't new, especially Ruger. I have an American, the magazines function, and I don't need more than one. I also haven't dropped it.

I would agree that any given manufacturer should produce reliable and affordable magazines. Should these mags be $35? No, perhaps half that.

What is hard to know from one guys "tabs break off" and "if you drop it," what really happened?

Would I like a robust metal mag for the rifle? Sure. Are they going to function like other aftermarket mags for Ruger rifles?

The American rifles are about $400. What are other companies making for that price point, and how shitty are those mags? Is it possible one person got some bad mags, and that the rest are OK?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot this Monday with my Ruger American Predator .308 using Prime Ammo 175gr OTM Match+ at 100 yards. Factory stock & mags. Steiner T5Xi 5-25. Testing the new Timney trigger.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The Magpul offering is for short action calibers and will use their own Magpul .308 based case size mags. Further info gleaned from vendors at a recent match seems to imply that this will also be made to use mags suitable for .223/300 BLK.

We shall see how this shakes out, but my guess the actual price will be around the 240-250ish range. the $300 list is unlikely to be the price point.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My American Ranch in 5.56 has never had an issue with the 3 mags I have.
It's been flawless.
Is this something seen only in rifles with longer cartridges than 300blk / 5.56 ?

quote:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post