SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a SCAR 17S
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a SCAR 17S Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Good call on the Super Scar!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
Going to be a busy gun buying weekend here in Washington State...congrats on the purchase..

I think lowers are flying off the shelves (so to speak). Complete rifles are still available. I think the LGS where I bought my SCAR still has an additional SCAR 17 available. At least they did yesterday.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the super scar is great. I had a very nice factory trigger but its night and day.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the purchase!

The SCAR is damn near supernatural. I percieve the recoil to be no worse or maybe even less than a 7.62 mm AK. I can't believe how well I can hit with it. It's like the gun creates a vacuume in front of where you're aiming in order to "suck" the bullets to your intended point of impact. The SCAR is the gun that convinced me that free floated barrels on a monolithic upper are indeed a generational leap. Between its light weight, accuracy, reliability, and low recoil, I honestly do think it is the best all-around 762x51 mm battle rifle on the market.

The super scar trigger is another expensive kick in the nuts, but it is the best Geissele trigger that I have ever used. I like it better than the SSA-E.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
WINNING!!!

I saw them hitting the market again and was wondering when I'd see new owners!

Mine is in the OG FDE from back in the 2012s... Plenty of haters but I think it's a great rifle.

As more lightweight .308 carbines are in the local gun shops ... competition against the Scar 17 is fierce.
Very few are proven through testing as the Scar is still the winner ( 80,000 rounds)& only one retaining pin breakage.
Well folks read reports from "Battle ground Vegas" gun rental indoor range. Scar is the most reliable of all firearms , with high round counts. Think twice ! ... ignorant haters.

No buyer remorse going on with me since 2011. I have had but two hiccups with my carbine, attributed to ammo. My reloads made my black beauty , to have reflux & barf.
I will say the SCAR 17 is one long gun that I'll keep . (To have and to hold, as long as we both shall live.

There have been some reports of firing pin breakage. Suspected steel cased ammo as a poor steady diet ... causes most hiccups.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just out of curiosity (not controversy) what model(s) would you consider a new lightweight .308 competitor to the SCAR.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
just out of curiosity (not controversy) what model(s) would you consider a new lightweight .308 competitor to the SCAR.

The SCAR 17 is listed at 8# for a 16" barrel. There are a number of 308 ARs in the 9-10 pound range -- or more -- that shoot exceptionally well. A little mass in a semi-auto is a good thing to help with cold bore accuracy, accuracy as the barrel heats up and cools down, spotting one's own impacts, and stability from less than perfect shooting positions.

That said, some of the lighter AR-10s include:
LaRue PredatAR at 7.75#
JP LTC-10 -- weight depends on barrel length
Wilson Combat Recon Tactical at 7.85#
Black Rain Ordnance at 7#
Daniel Defense at 8.3#
Barrett Rec10 at 8#
DPMS GII Recon at 8.5#

I've shot all of the above brands (and a few more) of AR10s, in various models. They all shot well. Really well. Many of these platforms also offer chamberings other than 308. Let's be realistic here -- 308 is a decent all around cartridge, but it is getting a little long in the tooth.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching a couple of YouTube videos, today I installed the Super Scar trigger. Took about an hour at my own pace. Good instructions come with the Geissele but the how to videos are better for me. Just function testing and dry firing the Geissele trigger is quite impressive over the stock trigger it comes with. Should be interesting to see the improvement at the range.

I added a BCM KAG to the Picattiny rail just to give myself a hand stop. Apart from the 5 additional SCAR Mags, that’s pretty much going to be it. I won’t be using a sling much but will get one with the basic paraclip(s) so I have something for the Zoombies.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new Scar 2PAK !

The Geissele trigger is almost a must have in my opinion. I have not shot my 17 in quite awhile but I will be fixing that this weekend. Hope you get out with yours !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M@D-M@X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
I bought it Friday. I like it. It’s in the hard to find scary black color which makes it ugg boot stock a fashion statement.

Welcome to the "Scarred Club"

I've been scarred since 2011... when with luck you could find them for $2600..

Good choice on the Super Scar trigger... Probably the best after-market upgrade for this platform.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M@D-M@X,

Disclaimer:
Any governmental agencies monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any weapons of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way

Posts: 93 | Location: S.FLA. | Registered: November 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M@D-M@X:
Yeah, I jumped when I found a smoking deal for $2485 new FDE 17, back in 2012.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M@D-M@X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by M@D-M@X:
Yeah, I jumped when I found a smoking deal for $2485 new FDE 17, back in 2012.

I recognize you from FN forums

Disclaimer:
Any governmental agencies monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any weapons of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way

Posts: 93 | Location: S.FLA. | Registered: November 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I bought my black 16 for $2350 and the 17 for $2800 and I thought that was good (back in 2013).

Congrats on the SCAR. It is a fine rifle. I ended up giving my 17 to a buddy as a retirement gift as it never really passed the "meh" stage for me. But I'm not a huge 7.62 fan and if I want to shoot something bigger than 5.56 my FAL or Garand fills that role.

It is the top of its class for a modern 7.62 though. Enjoy!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As my last rifle purchase before the rest of I-1639 took effect, I wanted a 7.62 to put some finality to my small rifle collection (that’s my excuse to cough up the price to my wife). I considered the M1A but after spending my summer of 1972 with it, I couldn’t make it mentally. I lugged a mini 14 as LE for a bit but never longed for that rifle either. Most of my purchased rifles ended up based the AR platform.

IMHO, the kick of the SCAR17 is nothing like the M1A in comparison but that’s my opinion. Compared to the M1A, field stripping it is pretty straight forward.

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
OP congratulations on the purchase, hope you enjoy it.

M@D M@X, beautiful pictures of a great looking rifle.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I bought my black 16 for $2350 and the 17 for $2800 and I thought that was good (back in 2013).
Yeah, deals got me to jump on FN SCARs. 2011 an FDE 16 for $2091 and 2012 an FDE 17 for $2485, both from Buds.

I think they are great rifles, but I doubt I would have paid $2500 for a 16 or $3000 for a 17. They may be worth it but at the time I don't think I would have jumped had the prices been higher.

I hope that FN manufacturing them in the US will bring the price points down a bit, so more people can try them out.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Is your new 17S a Herstal or new US made model?

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe US made. It says ‘FN Columbia SC’.

posted Hide Post
Congrats, I have one myself. THe Scar is awesome. I have not had mine long, having wanted one for a long time. I also put the Geissele Super Scar trigger on mine, well my GS did.
As mentioned above, the Larue is a lightweight AR 10, that rifle along with the CZ Bren 2 BR when they finally become available, are two other 308's that I am really interested in.
For my Scar, I still need to get a quality optic, just need to to save up the coins first.

Posts: 28 | Location: MS | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
I believe US made. It says ‘FN Columbia SC’.
Cool, FN USA has their $hit together so I doubt we'll see any differences between them. Likely still has as ton of Belgian parts in them; probably just the upper receiver is US made to get past the import drama.