SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How do we mount scopes now?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do we mount scopes now? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
In the past, I've always used a Leupold one piece base with the front twist in ring. I have not bought a hunting rifle in years, so I'm out of the loop. I know the tactical stuff gets a picatinny rail, but whats the ideal set up for a hunting rifle these days? I picked up a Rem 700 from a buddy and need to set it up!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One piece scope mount. Here is the Remington version of the DNZ game reapers that I've been using on my Howas. I've been using medium height with 42mm objective scopes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless it has a pic. rail, all of my bolt guns get Luepold 2 piece bases and mounts.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the DNZ Game reaper

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Depends on the guns role is what base it gets. If it's anything that's going to get shot a lot and warm up a little (already means a heavier barrel profile to me) then it gets a steel base. I prefer in Farrell bases for this. If it's going to be a lighter weight rifle, then I'm fine with EGW bases (their aluminum ones). But I always use pic rails for simplicity sake and to be able to better set where I want the scopes eye relief and clearance for the bolt handle.

With all that said, I personally hate Leupold standard bases and rings that twist in. Using a friction lock always seemed stupid to me on a scope ring. I know lots of people have used them with no issue, but not for me.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For hunting rifles, I like the Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and rings (not the STD). I mount the scope as low as possible for the objective to clear the barrel. If you hunt in cold weather, make sure you have the scope set back far enough to get a full field of view with a heavy jacket. It's like adding an inch (or more) LOP to the stock.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After research here and elsewhere, I put a DNZ Reaper mount on my Browning last year, and am very impressed with it.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Talley lightweight rings.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
Depends on the guns role is what base it gets. If it's anything that's going to get shot a lot and warm up a little (already means a heavier barrel profile to me) then it gets a steel base. I prefer in Farrell bases for this. If it's going to be a lighter weight rifle, then I'm fine with EGW bases (their aluminum ones). But I always use pic rails for simplicity sake and to be able to better set where I want the scopes eye relief and clearance for the bolt handle.

With all that said, I personally hate Leupold standard bases and rings that twist in. Using a friction lock always seemed stupid to me on a scope ring. I know lots of people have used them with no issue, but not for me.

I went the rail rout for a tikka in 6.5cm, I used a warmer mountain tech rail and nightforce ultralight rings to mount a nightforce nsx. It worked great so far.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got two rem700's, 243 & 223...both have DNZ game reapers.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Weaver style basis (aluminum or steel)and Burris Signature rings on all my rifles.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Game Reapers and Burris Signatures

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post