SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What Does Everybody Like These Days When It Comes To A 15" AR Handguard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Does Everybody Like These Days When It Comes To A 15" AR Handguard? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Once I get a handguard and one or two other pieces, I'm finally going to get started on having the 18" 7.62x39 built that I asked about here some time ago. I don't have any set ideas about the barrel beyond it's being 18" long, as heavy as I can get it up to a maximum weight of no more than 2.25 pounds, with as much weight as reasonably possible around the chamber and throat. (FWIW, I'm using a 1" diameter Green Mountain blank.) I plan on using the "intermediate" gas system, which is midway in length between a midlength and rifle gas system.

Looking for a 15" handguard for an AR. Light weight and free-floating are pluses, consistent with some reasonable degree of durability (don't plan on banging the rifle around, but am fully capable of being a klutz). Don't have any particular use for the narrowest outer diameter in the world. Don't really care whether it's M-LOK or KeyMod, so long as it's one or the other and a coat of CCR's CeraHyde won't affect the ability to use the slots.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two free float tubes from midwest industries. They have keymod and mlok...I like the small diameter .

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele MK8 or Mk14 if you must go 15”. I prefer the diameter of the MK14 and MK16. The MK16 is my favorite. But the MK16 is only available in 13” at present. I like KAC URX4 mlok rails too, but prefer the G rails for their ease of install and ease of using a pinned gasblock vs. the URX4.

In the very light weight category, the BCM MCMR rail is also an excellent option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoshNC,

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geissele MK8 or Mk14 if you must go 15”.
[GENEWILDER] "I must, I must." [/GENEWILDER]

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recently built on and enjoy the Odinworks 02 lite rail. Catch it on sale if you can as we are headed into the right time of year. Comes in 15.5. Very light and seems durable. The attachment method is pretty easy which is nice.

It doesnt sound like an issue but it will fit a can underneath it so plenty of space for your gas block etc.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I really like BCM's KMR rails. High quality. Lightweight. I also like that they're octagonal, so you can mount things at 45* offsets (which is especially handy for mounting lights), rather than just 12/3/6/9 o'clock. And they're the perfect diameter IMO... not too thick, not too thin.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...-kmr-a15-556-blk.htm

Used to be Keymod only, but now they offer a MLOK version too, called the MCMR:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...-mcmr-15-556-blk.htm

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I really like BCM's KMR rails. High quality. Lightweight. I also like that they're octagonal, so you can mount things at 45* offsets (which is especially handy for mounting lights), rather than just 12/3/6/9 o'clock. And they're the perfect diameter IMO... not too thick, not too thin.

I'm with Rogue on this one. Out of all my handguards the BCM KMR is my favorite.
https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...-kmr-a15-556-blk.htm

Used to be Keymod only, but now they offer a MLOK version too, called the MCMR:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...-mcmr-15-556-blk.htm

I'm with Rogue on this one. My BCM KMR is my favorite handguard. For my next I think I may try this Transformer Rail from Manticore Arms.
https://manticorearms.com/15-g...ormer-rail-for-ar-15

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
MIDWEST INDUSTRIES. They make good stuff.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Midwest Industries does make good stuff, but I think I can go lighter to compensate for a relatively heavy barrel and still get good durability.

quote:
It doesnt sound like an issue but it will fit a can underneath it so plenty of space for your gas block etc.

It doesn't hurt, and for me the slightly larger outer diameter sounds just fine.

For me the big deal (and one of the two things that keeps me coming back to the BCM, incidentally) is the light weight. I was looking at another handguard that bills itself as being "large enough to admit a suppressor" (not what I plan to do), and one of the big attractions was a 2" outer diameter. The problem is that the bugger weighs just under a pound! Since I want to put the weight into the barrel and not the handguard, that just wasn't going to work.

I do have a 13" magnesium alloy KMR on a BCM carbine, and the light weight is fantastic. I have to admit, though, that having a wealth of options for where to put rails makes a big difference to me - which is one place where the Odinworks (and similar) comes up a little short. (My apologies - on reflection I can see that I definitely should have mentioned that.) And, yeah, I can live with the 1.5" outer diameter.

I guess I'm back to looking at the BCM, which is what I was originally planning to use.

Question - does anyone know if there's enough room under the BCM for an adjustable gas block? I'd rather have a fixed block, but I have no idea what size gas port I'm going to need so an adjustable may be either a good idea or an actual necessity.

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Here's a Midwest Industry that might be worth checking out.
https://www.midwestindustriesi...LW15-p/mi-crlw15.htm
It's total weight is 9.7oz, BCM KMR is 11oz, has 1.5" outside, 1.3" inside diameter.
Or there's their ultra light weight which is 8.9oz total.
https://www.midwestindustriesi...ULW15-p/mi-ulw15.htm

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had some extra money once and spent silly money on a Rainer Arms handguard. It is nice but not worth the money.

I have a Rock River gun for work we used to have a silly rule requiring factory built guns from a select few manufacturers.
I wanted a free float rail so I got their TRO rail and had our Armour install it.
It is a very nice light no frills hand guard.

I have since purchased two Troy Alpha Rails. They are my favorite and will likely be used on any future builds.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ The VTAC rails look interesting, but don't the standard Alpha rails have some kind of proprietary attachment system? I'm being cheap and whiny, but I've already got a supply of KeyMod and M-Lok stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:

Ah, now you've got me looking at their SP models (as on sale at Brownells). 12.6 ounces isn't too intimidating compared to 11 ounces for the BCM.

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ The VTAC rails look interesting, but don't the standard Alpha rails have some kind of proprietary attachment system? I'm being cheap and whiny, but I've already got a supply of KeyMod and M-Lok stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:

Ah, now you've got me looking at their SP models (as on sale at Brownells). 12.6 ounces isn't too intimidating compared to 11 ounces for the BCM.

According to Midwest Industries website it totals at 14.6 with the barrel nut so a little more. I do think the MI ones look nice and I have a CRLW on order. I was looking at the bcm mcmr, but it was slightly heavier and slightly more money. Close enough though I'm sure I'd be happy either way. I do notice some companies seem to be ditching the full length rail on top to save weight, I think it looks good.

ETA my CRLW showed up, seems really nice. Feels really lightweight and I'm liking it a lot. I went with the 12.625" version. Just waiting for my new barrel to show up before putting my AR back together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSauerP226,

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post