SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    450 Bushmaster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Bushmaster Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
Anyone got one of these? I finally got all the parts to assemble mine and I’m trying to figure out what scope to put on it. It’ll be a 100 yard whitetail and hog gun. Any suggestions?

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've borrowed a buddy's .450 for a hog hunt before. His rifle was overscoped, with something like a 4-9x. Too much for a shorter range round like .450. That made close range shots on moving hogs challenging. The round worked exceptionally well, though.

For 100ish yards, I'd stick with a red dot, or perhaps a low power 1-4x variable. Maybe even something like a fixed 2x/3x prismatic with a set of offset iron sights.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster that I use on an annual Ohio hunt. Like it so much i’ve Been using it most days in Florida as well. Use Hornady Custom ammo. The round is very effective.

I went with a Leopold VX6 1-6 with illuminated dot. It’s perfect on that rifle. Right magnification, compact, lightweight.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
450 Bushmaster is a terrific round, very versatile.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW. Zero at 170 and your MPBR for +/-3” is 200. Just about perfect for that round.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. With my eyes I need a little magnification, so I was thinking 1-4 or 1-6, and I like the idea of the illumination as well. Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Now that I have a 1-4 on my .450 upper I like it lot more. Ditto that 3-9 is too much magnification for it.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Fantastic caliber! I'm waiting to use mine on a black bear one of these days.

I put a Trijicon 1-6 Accupoint scope with the green triangle post reticle - perfect! It's good for the close in shots, has enough magnification for reaching out or seeing a bit better and the illuminated post reticle is perfect for waning daylight conditions.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the 450 Bushmaster requires special mags but the .458 SOCOM can use standard (metal, not magpul etc.).

True?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
As I understand it the 450 Bushmaster requires special mags

True?

Some AR15 mags work as-is. Most require replacing the follower. Some, like PMAGs, won't work without modification.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A short bolt action in .450 or .458 with a suppressor and subsonic loads would be fun.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
A short bolt action in .450 or .458 with a suppressor and subsonic loads would be fun.

16" barrel. Threaded for muzzle device or suppressor.

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/16950.html

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeballing an upper for my AR chambered in the round. My friend has a hog problem at her ranch and I think a low magnified thermal scope would be great match. Probably will use my 1-4 power Trijicon Accupoint while I save up for a thermal scope.

BTW, at the NRA Annual Meeting last weekend, Bushmaster's display had several ACRs chambered in .450 Bushmaster.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
16" barrel. Threaded for muzzle device or suppressor.

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/16950.html

I actually looked at the scout in that chambering. You could even throw an IR laser on the scout mount. After reading about the G 150 I looked at .44mag M77 rifles, but remembered about the modern big bore chamberings. Sadly I have way too many firearm projects in the fire and back burners.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with this scope from Primary Arms, and I think it'll be a good pairing.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...ted-riflescope-pa14x