SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    my new, converted, Bulgarian AK goodness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my new, converted, Bulgarian AK goodness Login/Join 
Picture of bolo4tom
posted
So, I sold this ban era SLR 95 to a friend of mine bout 10 yrs ago, he never fired it and ive been on his case to get it back. I got it back bout 45 days ago and I decided to return it to all its original, intended glory. I own and have owned ALOT of AKs, and 74s even tho im an AR guy and ill tell ya, Bulgarians make the nicest AKs around.

luckily im friends with one of the best AK/Krink builders in the country and hes local. I decided to replace the thin barrel with a heavy Bulgy bbl, 45 deg gas block, milled front sight post, muzzle nut, Russian black finish, proper Bulgy selector stops/markings, lower tang and a few other parts, to include a beautiful milled, stock set.

We got all that done, head spaced and test fired and it shoots like a dream!! pic one is the ban era profile and the rest of the pics are of it in all its glory!

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice. My son was mentioning the idea of a Bulgarian AK. One is somewhat on our radar screen.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I had a 95 once too ... it was on my list of regrets and found another one last year. I really like your wood but I went the other way because I wanted a folder so I went with the MagPul Zhukov furniture and a Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg top cover with a picitinny rail so I can have a scope, red-dot or a peep sight. I sorta tried to get the compensator off, but I didn't try very hard ... it doesn't bother me now like it did back then but I wouldn't mind not having it there.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I think of when I think "AK47".

Well done!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I still have one lone AK-74. The ten crates of 7n6 ammo in my garage helps with keeping it too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm a compulsive pimptasticizer when it comes to AKs, but there's nothing like the classic look. FWIW, I keep an unmolested OPAP on hand to salve my conscience and give myself the pimp hand I occasionally deserve.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That turned out well! I have an SLR95 that needs a facelift. They are the best operating AK variant I have handled.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I always thought the Bulgarian SLR 95 were one of the best made AK out there. They were advertised being made with a with a Steyr hammer forged chrome lined barrel way back when. LGS bought 2 cases of these when they came out and was selling them for $327. Looking it over and reading the advertising literature that was in the case. I knew it was a score at $327. After the 1st case sold out very fast, price went up about a $100. Still have mine wished I had bought a few of them..LOL.

The thumbhole stock might not look right on an AK but I've found it is kind of comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
yeah, they can be addictive.
I hate to admit it, but this isn't all of mine.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone..i wanted to create a type III clone to some degree....im a traditionalist on most things and wanted the classic, non optic look. and you cannot beat a Bulgarian...I like them better than the Chinese rifles.

*zoom, looks like youre as AK poor as I am as I am! nice collection

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
yeah, they can be addictive.
I hate to admit it, but this isn't all of mine.

You clearly have a problem. Not enough distance to get your entire awesome collection into the camera shot. You've got a great selection there!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Turned out beautifully!

Where'd the furniture come from? Cleaned up surplus? IWD?

I went with that same look for one of mine:

Nothing as nice as your Bulgy there. Mine is a Polish 1960 milled with IWD furniture that a good friend finished for me.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ARMT, that's a gorgeous piece and every bit as nice as mine!! hard to beat type III copies! all ive got left to do is polish my bolt and im good to go. the stock set came from Ironwood and we stained it. I have a surplus set that I may put on my next one and do a 'distressed' look on it

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
"BFPU", please. "Distressed" is for Mom Jeans. Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Is that a fun switch or is it cosmetic?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
"BFPU", please. "Distressed" is for Mom Jeans. Razz

yes, yes, my bad! Smile

I wish it was a real happy switch but its just for appearance purposes...unfortunately.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:

<snip>

I wish it was a real happy switch but its just for appearance purposes...unfortunately.

You did an excellent job of imitating the other detent ... its a little different but a fine job just the same!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post