SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 going back again....Issue resolved.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 going back again....Issue resolved. Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
When I first bought the scope brand new a few years back I noticed the reticle appeared to be a little rotated clockwise. After mounting it up, torquing it down, and getting a level on it, I was certain, so I sent it back. I believe they said they made an adjustment, and got it back into "spec". I noticed it again 2-3 range trips ago, but just yesterday when I was out it really looked screwed. I had one of the range staff look at it for me, just to make certain it wasn't me. He confirmed, damn thing has seemed to have rotated again. The verticle crosshair appears closer to the 12:30-12:45 position. Ive only got 220 rounds through this Rem 700/Vortex combo. It sits in Badger rings. Nothing but factory Federal ammo. This is getting old. Anyone else have this particular problem with Vortex optics? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I had a viper that failed a windage test. Sent it back and they returned it in a week. No problems since then.

Why not ask them to replace it. Seems you have a history of issues with that particular scope.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Its going in the mail tomorrow, I did suggest replacement without being too pushy and demanding about it. We will see, hopefully they do right by me this time.

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
They will take care of you.

I haven't had to use their warranty. But I have confidence in their guarantee.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've used their warranty once. A friend, twice. Another friend, twice.

I no longer have vortex products on any of my guns.

Sure they fix them, and they are apologetic about it...but it just seems like everyone knows someone who has had to send in a vortex product for warranty work.

Anyone know of any vortex products being used in the stans? I don't.

I've lost confidence in them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thats exactly my concern AK. A great warrenty is good and all, but I much prefer not to need it. Ill let you guys know how it all shakes out.

posted Hide Post
I had the exact same problem about 3 years ago with my pst. Mine is a 1x-4 on my 300 blackout. Damn reticle was spinning like a clock every time I pulled the trigger. Vortex fixed it and I haven't had that issue since.

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
All manufacturers have issues. I had a S&B PMII that wouldn't track. Friend had a Kahles with a canted reticle. Another friend had a Razor Gen II go down.

I wouldn't purchase anything from Vortex other than their Razor line. I've been really impressed with my Burris XTR II that I picked up recently. Same no nonsense transferable warranty that Vortex has.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I too have a Burris. I like it as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine just this week sent back his Burris XTR II due to the illumination failing. I'd say, if you like the scope, keep it. Everyone has their problems.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I just justify the expense of an S&B, NF, or other top tier optics. We will see.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've got an AR10 with only 45 degree offset flip up iron sights right now....because I'm saving for a VCOG.

I've got a slap together AR15 built with leftover parts, and I'm tempted to put a strikefire that's just sitting on a shelf. But then...I think I'll get frustrated all over again with it.

I'm with you APF, I just feel better knowing a top tier optic is on my rifles. Something that isn't made in china, qc'd by the customer, and potentially has to get returned to work right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Leupold. Great optics, best warranty I've seen thus far.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
So my scope, or rather its replacement arrived yesterday. A note inside the box indicated that it was damaged due to being over tightened when mounted. When I mounted it, I specifically bought an in-lb. torque rench just to avoid this prob. Not cheaping out I bought a Huskey, middle of the line in quality I suppose. The instructions indicated I should torque the rings to 15 in.lbs, which is just what I did last time. What do you guys torque your rings to, I dont want a repeat of this prob? I usually use a dab of blue Loctite as well. Thanks.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I have a Razor HD and used Vortex's Precision Rings. Vortex recommends for those rings 15-18 lbs for the scope and 45-50 lbs for the rail. I also added Blue Loctite to the screws. I wonder if your torque screwdriver is off? But the instructions for a Husky I saw on the net said they can be off +/- 6%. I used a Wheeler torque wrench on mine and stayed under the max. No problems so far.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed. My rings are Badgers, who I thought also made them for Vortex. Although 6% of 15 is only a pound or so, I guess Ill go a little lighter and observe the scope for movement.

posted Hide Post
I would consider exchanging your Huskey for a different one. Might be defective. Wouldn't be the first one to be defective. And I am not just referring to Huskey, but any torque wrench.

And yes Badger rings are to be torqued at 15in-lbs.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider is the range on your torque wrench. If 15 in/lbs. is close to either the lower or upper ranges it's possible there is a greater margin of error than the specification to which the wrench was calibrated. I'm relating what I read in the manual of the in/lb. torque wrench I recently purchased. Folks more familiar with the workings of these tools would be better able to expound on this phenomena.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Although 6% of 15 is only a pound or so, I guess Ill go a little lighter and observe the scope for movement.
Actually it is 0.9in-lbs or .075 Ft-lbs. And 15in-lbs is equivalent to 1.25ft-lbs.

Is this the Husky torque wrench you have?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hus...ver-H4DTRQ/204772217

If not which one do you have?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
This model here:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hus...nch-H4DTWA/206743985

I set it for about 13, scope is mounted, leveled, and appears good. I have not made it to the range yet though. Thanks all.