SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Good glass.... Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor, suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good glass.... Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor, suggestions Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I'm closing in on the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, 22" barrel. Shooting out to 100 yards initially as that is as far as the range I go to provides, and use for precision target shooting, novice level.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding a good scope. Please assume little or no knowledge other than basic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle needs nice glass--typically you would spend as much on the glass. That said--consider Maven S1.

Or...consider a less expensive rifle in 6.5 C. I have a Tikka in 6.5 C. I looked at Kimbers last week in 6.5 C--nice rifle at a reasonable price.

6.5 Creedmoor has a flatter trajectory--308 BDM is not helpful. 6.5 C is designed to reach out farther with a flatter trajectory.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of generic BDC reticles ive also come to realize that If you want a scope that can reliably track and dial as well as be durable enough for hunting, there’s no way around it...you’re going to pay for it.

You might take a look at what SWFA has, their scopes are fairly affordable but reliable, again, the more features you want, the more you pay. Their fixed power scopes are in the 3-400 dollar range while their 3-15 is like 700 dollars. I forget the details but they have some sort of military contract.

I’ve recently started switching over to more serious scopes on my hunting rifles, I have a. nightforce shv, 2 of them actually, a nightforce NxS and an SWFA 3-15x42 all mounted with nightforce or weaver mountain tech rings.

I’m not really a long range guy though, I just hunt and shoot steel plates for fun out to 5-600yds there’s lots of guys here with much more long range experience then me, I just decided to take the weight penalty and step up my optics game after recently having a few leupold scopes go tits up on me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, it's 100 yards, not 300 feet. You're shooting at the rifle's sight-in distance. Stop trying to make it sound like you're shooting further than you are. I get that right now you won't be shooting at great distances. No problem. Just be realistic. Rifle shooters just don't discuss distances in feet.

Don't buy a rifle that's made to shoot well beyond 1,000 yards, then top it off with Wal-Mart glass. Both of the optics you list are....um....not so hot.

In the Vortex line, a more appropriate scope is Viper PST Gen II.
A Nightforce SHV is a good option.

Don't even think about a scope with BDC. Even worse is a BDC for a cartridge different than the one your rifle is chambered for.

You're trying to buy a rifle that will last decades, and shoot the wings off a fly. Don't cheap out on the steering system of this firearm. If budget is the issue, stop buying other firearms for a few months. Or many months. Or a year. Buy the right scope the first time.

It took me a little over 2 years to accumulate the parts for my best AR-15. Some of the time was parts shortages, and thus ludicrous market prices. Much of it was my budget constraints. I had the receiver and barrel for a year before I even started with other parts. The wait was worth it -- the AR is absolutely amazing.

Don't jump on something you won't want down the road.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To pile onto what fritz said, this is what I posted not long ago in thread asking about BDC reticles:

Unless the sight is intended for use on a specific rifle firing a specific load, the “ballistic drop” reticle will be precisely calibrated for what someone is shooting only by accident. Leupold will provide reticles custom calibrated for what the customer wants, but as soon as we decide to change anything about the gun or ammunition, or even the environmental conditions, it will no longer be accurate (assuming it was accurate to begin with). Further, the BDC reticles I’ve seen are usually calibrated in large intervals, such as 100 yards. Where do we hold if the target is at 350 yards and the calibration marks are at 300 and 400? (Hint: It’s not half way between 300 and 400.)

The same thing can be accomplished—but more precisely—with any good reticle calibrated in milliradians or minutes of angle. Develop a dope chart, tape it to the rifle, and thereafter all that’s necessary is to determine the range to the target, check the chart, and use the hold necessary for the shot. (And that assumes it’s not just better to adjust the elevation setting of the scope rather than trying to hold over the target.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIGWolf,
Why are you looking at 4X12 scopes? price? They will work well at 100 yds. for targets.
To go much longer my old eyes need a higher power scope to make small groups. You may be different or have class restrictions on power.
The Vortex PST line is getting a good reputation for quality optics at a good price. Sightron also makes a nice scope. Lots of good products in the $700 to $1000 range list price. Look for sales.
The above posters have given you great advice.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
SIGWolf,
Why are you looking at 4X12 scopes? price? They will work well at 100 yds. for targets.
To go much longer my old eyes need a higher power scope to make small groups. You may be different or have class restrictions on power.
The Vortex PST line is getting a good reputation for quality optics at a good price. Sightron also makes a nice scope. Lots of good products in the $700 to $1000 range list price. Look for sales.
The above posters have given you great advice.

Looking for suggestions. I really don't know what to look for, asking for advice. I have old eyes as well. Although $1000 seems more than I would be inclined to spend, if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. I'm willing to be convinced.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Nice rifle needs nice glass--typically you would spend as much on the glass. That said--consider Maven S1.

Or...consider a less expensive rifle in 6.5 C. I have a Tikka in 6.5 C. I looked at Kimbers last week in 6.5 C--nice rifle at a reasonable price.

6.5 Creedmoor has a flatter trajectory--308 BDM is not helpful. 6.5 C is designed to reach out farther with a flatter trajectory.

Thanks. The Bergara is the B-14 which is around $900. The Tikka they also have is a CTR which is also around $900. So, they are comparably priced. If a $700 to $1000 scope is what is appropriate, that's what I'm looking to understand.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nikon Black

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
The Nikon black comes in various configurations and gets some pretty good reviews. I picked one up but have not mounted it on anything yet. I may try it on my CTR 6.5

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Nikon. Love my Monarch 5. My brother-in-law's Buckmasters is quite crisp as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stareted with the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 then grabbed an ShV 4-14x50 for a great price off the rifle scope trader group on facebook, I ended up getting the SWFA 3-15x42 on sale from swfa then I splurged and got the nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 also on a sale.

For awhile, I was trying to use lightweight scopes to keep my hunting rifles as light as possible but now Im coming around and realizing that I can have a much more robust, reliable and durable scope system while still keeping weight under 6.5-7lbs which is a good trade off in my opinion.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, it's "Creedmoor" not "Creedmore." The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically for long range competition and the name Creedmoor is revered in long range competition circles.

You may want to visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedmoor_Rifle_Range for a quick history lesson. There is a lot more to be found with some web spelunking.

I will agree with fritz that 100 yards is a very short distance for the likes of the rifle/caliber combo you are contemplating.

I will disagree with fritz about buying a great, expensive piece of glass as your first riflescope, especially since you will be restricted to 100 yards for a while.

You have clearly stated that you know very little or nothing about optics. If only someone had written a primer on riflescopes. I think it's unwise to spend lots of money without understand or knowing why you are spending the money on such a scope and certain features.

There is nothing wrong about buying an inexpensive scope to at least get the rifle (and you) shooting. As you develop skills and experience, you can start making informed decisions about what you want and, just as importantly, what you don't want in a riflescope.

It is also critical that you match the optics to the rifle as well as to your goals and uses for that rifle.

People will throw out specific models of scopes that they are using as recommendations, without knowing a thing about what YOU want to do.

If you're intent on spending a lot of money from the start, take your time and do a lot of research.

On the other hand, (and my suggestion,) if you decide to first purchase an inexpensive scope to start playing with the rifle and learn, I think either of the scopes you listed would be fine along with a whole host of others in the $300-$500 range. For 100 yards, a top end of 10x or so, is just fine, but 20X would allow you to develop some surgical bullet placement skills. Especially if the rifle is good and you can learn to press a trigger without moving the rifle.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the primer I wrote a while back.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...890078914#4890078914

You don't have to read the whole thread, the first couple pages have most everything.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

You don't have to read the whole thread, the first couple pages have most everything.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful.

This:

On the other hand, (and my suggestion,) if you decide to first purchase an inexpensive scope to start playing with the rifle and learn, I think either of the scopes you listed would be fine along with a whole host of others in the $300-$500 range. For 100 yards, a top end of 10x or so, is just fine, but 20X would allow you to develop some surgical bullet placement skills. Especially if the rifle is good and you can learn to press a trigger without moving the rifle.

You have to start somewhere and until I start, I don't know how far I'll go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

This:

That is my point, exactly.

I'm quite familiar with Northern Vermont. Where do you shoot?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Don't buy a rifle that's made to shoot well beyond 1,000 yards, then top it off with Wal-Mart glass. Both of the optics you list are....um....not so hot.

In the Vortex line, a more appropriate scope is Viper PST Gen II.
A Nightforce SHV is a good option.

Don't even think about a scope with BDC. Even worse is a BDC for a cartridge different than the one your rifle is chambered for.

You're trying to buy a rifle that will last decades, and shoot the wings off a fly. Don't cheap out on the steering system of this firearm. If budget is the issue, stop buying other firearms for a few months. Or many months. Or a year. Buy the right scope the first time.

It took me a little over 2 years to accumulate the parts for my best AR-15. Some of the time was parts shortages, and thus ludicrous market prices. Much of it was my budget constraints. I had the receiver and barrel for a year before I even started with other parts. The wait was worth it -- the AR is absolutely amazing.

Don't jump on something you won't want down the road.
This in spades.

Patience will go a long, long way to avoiding the amusing (at least for those of us who watch) merry go round of optics and firearms that is seen on virtually every forum out there - buying, building, unhappiness, selling at a loss, buying again, more frustration, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

This:

That is my point, exactly.

I'm quite familiar with Northern Vermont. Where do you shoot?

I live in the Williston, VT area and shoot at Chittenden County Fish and Game Club. I've been shooting there since about 2004 mostly pistols, then began doing some rifle shooting.

For a bit I had a Remington 700 LTR with a Bushnell Elite scope, but sold it for personal reason and am not wanting to get back to shooting bolt action and trying for precision with a good rifle.

Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will agree with fritz that 100 yards is a very short distance for the likes of the rifle/caliber combo you are contemplating.

It's so short, that in all of the rifle competitions I still participate in (High Power SR, F-Class, and PRS), I've never taken a shot under 200 yards. I've heard of some PRS style matches that throw in some short shots, but haven't been to one.

O.P., if you are certain that you aren't going to get into longer distance shooting, then just get a mid-level Nikon. If you are uncertain and want something nicer, then get a Vortex Viper PST or Nightforce SHV. Bushnell Tactical Elite are nice too, but that might be pushing the limits of what you want to spend.

I only buy Mrad scopes now, but if you are certain that you won't be shooting past 100 yards, it doesn't matter, and MOA will be fine.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post