SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New BCM - RECCE-16 KMR-A - Help Determine Optic!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New BCM - RECCE-16 KMR-A - Help Determine Optic! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sights:
LWRC Skirmish
Troy
Magpul MBUS PRO

Optic:
Aimpoint Pro
Aimpoint T1
Trijicon MRO

Light:
Surefire scout (not intellibeam version)
Surefire G2X tactical (will require a seperate mount)

Sling:
Blueforce Gear VCAS (padded)

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you are new to optics, I would stick with something mainstream, reputable, and something well known.

That way you, if it isn't ideal, you can (1) use it on another build or (2) not lose your ass on resale.

Since this is your "first AR", go slow. You can get a light and stuff later - the optic and the sights should be your first priority.

In your case I would go Aimpoint Pro right now. That will allow you to only spend $400 on an optic, then you can concentrate on learning to shoot the rifle from say 100m and closer. In the future if you want a magnified optic, you can sell the Pro, or use it on another rifle, or keep it in case you want to switch back.

Crawl, walk, run.

You are just thinking about crawling at this point. You have a rifle but that is it.

Buy 4 PMAGs, a case of M193 ammo, an Aimpoint Pro, and MBUS if you must have 'iron' sights at this point.

Then shoot at least 500rds before you buy anything else for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
Thanks for the info!

I think I have some things figured out - soft case (Drago), light (probably the M600 Ultra Scout, but open to suggestions), and IBUS (Mag Pul Pro).

Optics Planet is running free shipping and 10% off orders - Surefire is 20% off, so will be placing and order soon.

I am having trouble deciding on an optic. I want something that excels up close as well as out to 200-300 yards.

What are some options? I have read the TA33 AGOC is good for my application, but there are so many choices. Any ideas? It does not seem like a straight RMR or MRO would really fit the bill, but I'm not quite certain.

Also, what are your thoughts on offset MBUS? They are the same price. I was thinking those would be useful as I could just tilt the rifle a bit and be able to use them for certain purposes. Thoughts?

TA33 is a very lightweight option and very durable. For a do-everything carbine I would pick a TA33 any day over a red dot.

I have a red dot on my suppressed AR pistol and I would swap it for a TA33 in a heartbeat if I didn't feel like I had already spent plenty of $ on gun stuff lately.

It really depends on your accuracy requirements. For 3-gun I moved from a TA33 to a 1-6x scope and it was a huge improvement.

But I have had target arrays including 10 inch plates at 500 yards.

If all those targets were full size IPSC and range was limited to 300 or maybe 400 yards, the TA33 would be fine.

I have used the whole gamut of cheap and expensive red dots, scopes, prism optics, etc. I find red dots sorely lacking in optical performance while they excel in light weight and sometimes cost.

The TA33 is probably inferior to a good red dot at ranges inside of 25 or maybe 50 yards. In all other ways it is superior. But more expensive.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you both - great advice! I'll hold off for a bit and consider options.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, what are your thoughts on offset MBUS? They are the same price. I was thinking those would be useful as I could just tilt the rifle a bit and be able to use them for certain purposes. Thoughts?

I like them. Offset BUIS are pretty handy when paired with a magnified optic. They allow you to quickly use the sights by just canting the rifle to the left about 45 degrees, which allows you to rapidly transition to your iron sights when engaging closer range targets, and reserve the magnified optic for longer range targets.

And since cowitness is not possible with a magnified optic, your only options for BUIS to a magnified optic are either offset sights or putting a QD mount on the optic and tearing it off if you need to use the BUIS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I ended up taking advice from all of you...Aimpoint T2 on the way. I grabbed some MBUS offsets too and a Scout 600. Optics Planet had some great deals this weekend.

Next...ammo, mags, then a trip to the range!

I've got some more homework to do this week - but I should be ready to go by Sat.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! I ended up taking advice from all of you...Aimpoint T2 on the way. I grabbed some MBUS offsets too

Offset sights aren't really needed when you're using an unmagnified optic like an Aimpoint red dot.

Standard BUIS will cowitness with the red dot. That is, the sights can be kept folded when not needed, but when flipped up, the sights would be visible through the center of the Aimpoint.

This isn't possible with a magnified optic, hence the use of offset sights when using a magnified optic.

Still, putting offset sights on it won't necessarily hurt anything. It's just not ideal.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good gouge on zeroing a RDS AR15.

I personally use a 100yd zero, but think 50yd zero is also acceptable.

I dislike the 25 yard zero, however I start my zero process at 25 yards to get windage on and POI 1.5" lower than POA, before moving it out.

Some of the target provide in the link also give this when you want to zero at 50/100 but only have access to a 25 yard range.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showt...Aimpoint-EOTech-etc-)

Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll be reading quite a bit over the next week.

I'm looking forward to the process.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Thanks! I ended up taking advice from all of you...Aimpoint T2 on the way. I grabbed some MBUS offsets too

Offset sights aren't really needed when you're using an unmagnified optic like an Aimpoint red dot.

Standard BUIS will cowitness with the red dot. That is, the sights can be kept folded when not needed, but when flipped up, the sights would be visible through the center of the Aimpoint.

This isn't possible with a magnified optic, hence the use of offset sights when using a magnified optic.

Still, putting offset sights on it won't necessarily hurt anything. It's just not ideal.

Yep. I offset them so I wouldn't need to remove the Aimpoint. If the glass is busted I can just tilt the rifle slightly and I'll be good to go. That was my logic.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. I offset them so I wouldn't need to remove the Aimpoint.

With cowitnessed backup iron sights, you don't need to remove the Aimpoint to use them.

Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Right, right. I was just thinking of the lens was cracked and the sight picture was compromised. I'll try it out and see. There are so many configurations - it's a lot to take in.

Hell, I saw a guy offset the Aimpoint. Big Grin

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell, I saw a guy offset the Aimpoint. Big Grin

Yep. Typically seen in conjunction with a scope.

Magnified scope for long range. Unmagnified offset Aimpoint Micro red dot for close range. (Similar concept to offset BUIS.)

Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Neat! I'm taking advice from RHINOWSO and others and learn the dot and sights first - then onto an ACOG.

It's a process. I'm quite solid with a pistol, but this is new to me as I have not shot ARs all that much.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with offset irons with an Aimpoint, just not that common.

Something I see down south is humidity. Bring your fancy rifle outside from a cool vehicle or home and the lens fogs over immediately. Wipe it off and it comes right back until the glass heats up to match the outside environment. Offset irons are ideal in that situation and typically why I stay with offset iron sights vs RDS (if the scope fogs over, so will the RDS).

Besides, you have them flipped down and they are out of the way and don't impact much of anything.

Again, nice choice. If / when you decide to move on, the T-2 can find a home on another rifle easily. Buy quality and you'll never be sorry. Buy some off brand, meh name and you'll likely put it in a box when you're done or take a big bath on selling it.

I find the more that I have worked on my T-2 (something I've done lately), the better I am with it (duh). Ringing various 4-6" plates at 100yds (limits of the range I usually use) is not hard, even shooting moderately fast, where as before I wasn't nearly as comfortable and preferred to be using a 1-4x optic on 4x.

It's easy to think of a RDS as simple, but there are plenty of nuances, holdovers at various ranges, what brightness works best, shooing fast with both eyes open and making your brain work with both eyes.

I have limited time behind an ACOG and while they are nice and durable as #$%!, I think for most users a RDS or variable optic is more useful. Not that I haven't thought about getting one for a rifle, but for $1100-1800, I can get a lot of other optics that I prefer.

Good luck and have fun!

Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Will do and thanks!

Yeah, the temp differential is something I had not considered, but do understand. Good point. I am happy to hear of your success with the T-2. It's good to read stories on the net, but to have a regular forum member corroborate allays my anxiety. Thanks again!

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase