SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New BCM - RECCE-16 KMR-A - Help Determine Optic!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New BCM - RECCE-16 KMR-A - Help Determine Optic! Login/Join 
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted
I went looking today - and found a BCM carbine. I have read both here and other places and BCMs are regarded as top-shelf. This one is in bronze Cerakote. The price was reasonable and I think I found a great LGS in the process!

Alright, this is my first AR15/carbine. I'll be doing some reading before heading out to Best of the West.

What do you all recommend for sights? Optics? Lights? What else?

I presume you all us Mag Pul for mags. Anything else I should look into?

I will be adding on as I go, but wanted to check in with experts first!

For those who want specs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Protein anchor,

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sweet looking gun!

Sights: Magpul MBUS Pro
Optic: Aimpoint PRO is the value optic right now
Lights: ?
Mags: Magpul, Lancer, or GI mags...see thread about OKAY mags.

quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
I went looking today - and found a BCM carbine. I have read both here and other places and BCMs are regarded as top-shelf. This one is in bronze Cerakote. The price was reasonable and I think I found a great LGS in the process!

Alright, this is my first AR15/carbine. I'll be doing some reading before heading out to Best of the West.

What do you all recommend for sights? Optics? Lights? What else?

I presume you all us Magpul for mags. Anything else I should look into?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Looks good! BCM makes great stuff and I love their KMR rails.

I like Troy BUIS, but I also like the Magpul Pro

For an optic, I really like the Aimpoint T1/T2, but the PRO is a great value. A lot of guys also like the MRO

I like Lancer mags, but have plenty of Magpul and GI mags

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul PRO BUIS
ACOG
Magpul magazines

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, I like BCM! Have fun, it won't be long they will multiply!! At least one a year or so Big Grin

BUIS sights: Magpul Pro or Dainel Defense if you like fixed
Primary sight: Aimpoint T1 or T2 or H1 or H2
Light: Surefire Scout,Streamlight or Ariska Scout type light
Magazines: Lots of good choices out there, Lancer, D&H, Okay, Magpul to name a few.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Geez man you're spoiled right out of the gate, hell of a pick for a first AR.

Stick with usgi or Magpul or Lancer mags to start with and you won't likely have any issues.

Do you want to use iron sights or a red dot? Both is a good answer but you can spend a ton of cash right there depending on what you choose. If both, I like the Magpul pro flip up sights. Add to that an Aimpoint either a Pro or H2 in a Larue mount and you're golden.

Buy lots of ammo and shoot the snot out of it. Then shoot some more. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Geez man you're spoiled right out of the gate, hell of a pick for a first AR.

Stick with usgi or Magpul or Lancer mags to start with and you won't likely have any issues.

Do you want to use iron sights or a red dot? Both is a good answer but you can spend a ton of cash right there depending on what you choose. If both, I like the Magpul pro flip up sights. Add to that an Aimpoint either a Pro or H2 in a Larue mount and you're golden.

Buy lots of ammo and shoot the snot out of it. Then shoot some more. Big Grin

I know - but I decided not to build and honestly you don't see full BMCs in an LGS that often, at least here anyway.

Do you have a part number for the mount? I figured "both" would be advantageous. Thanks!

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you have a part number for the mount?

LT 660 for 1/3 witness

LT 751 absolute

Don't count out American Defense for quick detach. You have lots of choices!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:

Do you have a part number for the mount?

LT 660 for 1/3 witness

LT 751 absolute

Don't count out American Defense for quick detach. You have lots of choices!

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
BCM has become my "go to" AR of choice. I own four of them now. Two of them are SBRs. You picked a good one for your first AR. Optics are a personal choice. For my full length rifle I run Vortex PST 1-4. On my 5.56 SBR I use an Aimpoint T2. The 300 BLK I have Primary Arms 1-6 with a 300 BLK reticle. I would recommend a true 1-4 optic if you plan on shooting past 100 yards. Vortex is an affordable, quality option.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice choice. I'm a big fan of BCM's stuff in general, and the KMR-Alpha handguard in particular.

Here are my suggestions:

Light: Inforce WMLx
Sights: Troy Battlesights
Magazines: Lancer L5AWM 20 and 30 rounders
Optic: Aimpoint PRO or H1

And +1 on Larue mounts, for either optic. (In fact, you can often save some money by buying the optic and the mount together as a package from Larue.)

You'll need a sling too. I suggest the Blue Force Gear VCAS.

And get some BCM Keymod panel covers for your handguard.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Knights Armament or Griffin Armament Micro sights
Trijicon Acog or MRO
D&H mags
Surefire light

There are many like it but this one is mine. There are so many choices out there. I also have a bunch or HK maritime mags and Aimpoint Micro. Nice first rifle.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, very nice.

Skip all the screwing around and put a Vortex Razor 1-6x or a Kahles K6i 1-6x on top.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Consider whether or not you really need QD in your optic mount. You can save cost and weight by going fixed. Daniel Defense makes a nice, simple fixed Aimpoint Micro mount.

It comes with a spacer that allows you to pick from lower 1/3 or absolute cowitness with the same mount. This was particularly useful for me when I first decided to put an RDS on my AR and didn't know which setup I'd prefer.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Go with the cowitness height too unless you have a huge head there is simply no reason to put the red dot any higher up than it needs to be.

I have never seen a complete BCM in person and good thing because I would have bought it haha... All my uppers are currently BCM and I am thoroughly impressed with them all.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether your first or twenty-first, a BCM rifle will always be an outstanding pick. Congratulations!

For BUIS, I favor the Magpul Pro's. My HD rifles have Aimpoint Micro T1's on them. Don't forget a sling and a light--I use VTAC slings and Surefire Scout Mini's.

For mags, stick to Magpul, Lancer, USGI (Okay, D&H), and ETS and you're golden. I use ETS.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Skip all the screwing around and put a Vortex Razor 1-6x or a Kahles K6i 1-6x on top.

+1
I don't feel BUIS is necessary with good optics, such as the two above. I have GG&G, LaRue, and Nightforce mounts -- all work well.

Magpul or Lancer mags.

For the money, it's tough to beat a Blue Force sling.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
If that rifle will be out at Best of the West, I'd get a 3x9 minimum. 3-15 can't hurt either. Then you can stretch it out to the 500 line at least. Past that gets tough but still fun.

What a great range. And great pick on the rifle.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Nice rifle, very nice.

Agreed, very nice rifle. Kahles K6i is very nice, and saves ~7+ oz over the Vortex.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

I think I have some things figured out - soft case (Drago), light (probably the M600 Ultra Scout, but open to suggestions), and IBUS (Mag Pul Pro).

Optics Planet is running free shipping and 10% off orders - Surefire is 20% off, so will be placing and order soon.

I am having trouble deciding on an optic. I want something that excels up close as well as out to 200-300 yards.

What are some options? I have read the TA33 AGOC is good for my application, but there are so many choices. Any ideas? It does not seem like a straight RMR or MRO would really fit the bill, but I'm not quite certain.

Also, what are your thoughts on offset MBUS? They are the same price. I was thinking those would be useful as I could just tilt the rifle a bit and be able to use them for certain purposes. Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Protein anchor,

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase