SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have narrowed down my choices.. Please help me decide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have narrowed down my choices.. Please help me decide Login/Join 
posted
1. Winchester M70 extreme weatheR
I do like the fact that it is basically a Mauser action
No shops around me have one I can try out.

2. Tikka in what ever stainless model I decide.

3. Browning Xbolt. Hells canyon speed.
The action on the Xbolt and Tikka are both very smooth.

I tried the action on a Savage. After handling the tikka
And the Xbolt first. The savage just did not feel good.
I know Savage makes a fine rifle not trying to put them down.
Should I consider one of those in 6.5CM?
Originaly I wanted a 260 Rem but local ammo availability is a turn off.
I have not checked on the 6.5 locally. I know in general
Their are a lot more choices for the CM.
Thanks Guys

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Tikka hands down, you can adjust the factory trigger and the action is smoothest factory action out there.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ive tried them all. I buy old M70's for my boys( the New Haven built guns) and Tikkas/Sakos for myself. The Winchesters are a toss up in terms of accuracy, the Tikka is best of the bunch in out of the box accuracy. In reagrds to the browning....they offer no official warranty for their products, zero. Ive heard of mixed results when sending something in for warranty work, often resulting in repair costs.

The 7-08 and 6.5CM are great choices, Id personally go with either of those over the 308. The 6.5 is my go to caliber for everything elk and down, although mine is 6.5x55, the 6.5CM is gainign speed in the hunting world.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2nd-ing my Tikka vote from the other thread.
Since a Sauer 101 was out of my budget, the T3x fit the bill perfectly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a model 70 EW in 30-06 and its a great gun, accurate, comfortable to shoot and nice looking. Its a much nicer gun than any tikka ive ever handled.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's easy. Winchester 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7-08 or .308.

I have 2 Winchester 70s and a Tikka. The Tikka is nice, but there really is no comparison. The Tikka is a Honda or Toyota. Reliable, great performance, looks decent.

The Winchester is a Mercedes. Reliable, great performance, classic looks, heirloom build quality. There really isn't any comparison in my opinion.

The Browning is a decent gun. A friend has an A-Bolt in 30-06 and it's a tack driver. Just doesn't do anything for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Winchester....hands down.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired a few A bolts the fit and finish seemed top notch and the accuracy was very good for a production gun.

R the Winchester's made by FN?
I found where they are a
Made Portugal

posted Hide Post
Ive never fired the A-bolt, but My friend has an X-bolt Stalker and its a pretty good gun.

My only regret about my M70 EW is that I wish I got it in 270 rather than 30-06.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I love the XBolt. haven't tried any of the others.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with the Win model 70. Did they go back to controlled round feeding? I thought the post 64 model 70s went to the push feed.

I've shot the TAC Tikka on several occasions and been impressed with it. Smooth action, good trigger, great out of the box rifle. One of my buddies at drum used it as a loner rife and it killed deer very well. If the prices were the same, I'd take it over the X-bolt due to personal preference.

I purchased an X bolt for my ex-wife. .308 with a Zeiss Conquest. It cost a pretty penny and has that funky button that lets you open the bolt with a round chambered and safety on (IIRC). It was an overall good gun, but it reminded me of a Howa for some reason I can't remember. It also killed deer at Drum. I liked it.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current m70s are controlled round feed.

posted Hide Post
I just bought my second Tikka, a T3x Tac a 1, in 6.5 Creedmoor in the last 2 months I bought a blued T3lite in. 223 a couple of months ago. I zeroed it with 5 shots and then shot a 3 shot clover. Thought it was a fluke that a cheap rifle shot rounds that touched. I shot another 3 shot group, same thing. Shot another, same thing. I paid a little over 400 bucks for it and it shoots like a dream. The trigger is awesome and does not need adjusted. It shot that good with factory soft point tactical AR ammo. I can't wait to see what it will do with hand loads.

I expect the T3x will do even better. Based on what I have seen from mine as well as other Tikkas's, I am a big fan of Tikka.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about going with the 6.5X55
Thoughts on the round? I know it has a proven track record and it's popular.
You guys are great.
I'm thinking Tikka
I'm not buying a Winchester with out being able to handle one

posted Hide Post
One more thing
Should I go laminate. I like the hunter stainless fluted but it has a wood stock.
I could coat the inside of the wood stock with Man O Wat.
Also how do you guys like the Synthetic stocks on the Tikka?

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Synthetic stock on the Tikka is nothi g to wrote home about but it works well enough.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Synthetic stock on the Tikka is nothi g to wrote home about but it works well enough.

I agree with Warpig, the stock synthetic stock on the tika I shot wasn't noteworthy. However, I felt no need to replace it and I didn't have any issues with it.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The m70 EW will have the best stock out of the choices you listed, it's a new model bell and Carlson with an aluminum bedding block.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
I have fired a few A bolts the fit and finish seemed top notch and the accuracy was very good for a production gun.

R the Winchester's made by FN?
I found where they are a
Made Portugal

IIRC,
Winchester is a licensed trademark owned by Olin

as in Winchester does not build anything,

FN builds Winchester branded rifles in various locations (think some are built in USA, some Belgium/Port, some Japan)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
I'm thinking about going with the 6.5X55
Thoughts on the round? I know it has a proven track record and it's popular.
You guys are great.
I'm thinking Tikka
I'm not buying a Winchester with out being able to handle one

6.5x55 is my sweetheart. Finally got one a few years back and it's like nothing else I have ever shot. Very reasonable recoil and it will put down all but the most stubborn of the great bears. As for the Tikka. Love them. The synthetic stock is very functional. It's not a McMillan or Manners but for a factory stock, I don't think you could do much better. The thing will not swell in foul weather, though it will scuff if you drag it across something rough. Polymer can be cold to the touch but it doesn't change form with temperature changes. Fit is fairly good too. I would take a look at them at the store to ensure there aren't any big gaps, but I bet you won't find too much wrong with the fit/finish. Aftermarket parts/support for the Tikka is getting to be on par with Remington. Buy one, you'll enjoy it.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post