SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have narrowed down my choices.. Please help me decide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have narrowed down my choices.. Please help me decide Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
I have fired a few A bolts the fit and finish seemed top notch and the accuracy was very good for a production gun.

R the Winchester's made by FN?
I found where they are a
Made Portugal

IIRC,
Winchester is a licensed trademark owned by Olin

as in Winchester does not build anything,

FN builds Winchester branded rifles in various locations (think some are built in USA, some Belgium/Port, some Japan)

It used to be US Repeating arms for the firearms which were owned by FN. Ammo was OLIN.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As I remember you have a .308 already. So a smaller caliber seems ok. I like the .243 vs the 6.5's myself. I am just a bit more traditional. I understand about all the latest and greatest stuff.

Bench and competition is not my bag. If you are going to do that than that is quite a bit different than a general purpose rifle.

While Tikka is not the be all, end all rifle. It is pretty sweet for what it is. They have come up in price quite a bit. But still a good value.

I have never owned a Browning A bolt but from what I have read are generally good shooters.

I don't know anything about the Winchester's.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
I'm thinking about going with the 6.5X55

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I like the .243 vs the 6.5's myself. I am just a bit more traditional.

The 6.5x55 first appeared in 1891. The .243 didn't come around until 1955.

By comparison the 6.5x55 is the traditionalist's cartridge -- the .243 Win is the whippersnapper.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
ok fritz, for cris sake. How about this. The .243 win is more of an American traditional cartridge. Maybe that will satisfy you since we all know you are an expert on all things.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Great sticks they all are! I really like the Tikkas myself!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just handled the the Winchester and the Tikka.
Winchester is lighter and that new stock kicks ass.
Of course it is couple hundred more than the Tikka.
Decision's Decision's

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say Tikka.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use 2 calibers for all my huting, both rilfes are Sako 85 Finnlights, 6.5x55 and 300WSM. My vote is Tikka 6.5x55.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
This should makle the decision easy for you:

6.5x55
http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tik...inless-fluted-barrel

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post