SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who's an Idjit? Who's an Idjit? I am. Hey guess what AR15s don't feed empty cases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's an Idjit? Who's an Idjit? I am. Hey guess what AR15s don't feed empty cases Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I went to the range this weekend to remount my ACOG and was banging through rounds when all of a sudden comes that kerchunk noise and different feel in cycling that indicates an issue. So I tap mag and work charging handle and nothing.

Well come to find out I must have inadvertently loaded a previously fired case into the magazine that had ejected into my ammo box. Boy that case was bent all to hell Smile

So there you have it an AR15 will not feed empty cases. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Clearly, your AR is not a quality firearm.

(There was a time when "feeding empties" was touted by mall ninjas as proof that a firearm was of exceptionally high quality. As in: "My custom 1911 is so well-made, it'll even feed empties!!!!!!1 Roll Eyes)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m reminded of reading that at one time it became the “thing” among upper-tier 1911 gunsmiths to tune the pistols so they would chamber empty cases: If they will chamber empties, surely they will be utterly reliable with loaded rounds—right?

Nope; turns out that after being set up to chamber empty cases, some of them were no longer reliable with loaded ammunition. (Just noticed that RogueJSK said the same thing.)

And yeah, putting an empty in a student’s rifle magazine is a good way to see if they know how to clear a malfunction that requires more than tap/rack/continue.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And yeah, putting an empty in a student’s rifle magazine is a good way to see if they know how to clear a malfunction that requires more than tap/rack/continue.

Definitely.

I've been to some carbine classes where the instructors progressively found more creative ways to jam my carbine, as I learned to clear malfunctions.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Must be a cheap AR, mine shoots empties just fine. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
so you have a problem loading hollow points

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Also, drives home the point that identifying the actual problem should be done BEFORE trying to fix the gun. That way you aren't doing the wrong action. For example, Tap/rack, on a double feed, is wasted action/time, and might make the problem worse.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Word to the wise, if you try this, even with pistols, used SIZED empty brass.

don't ask.... Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post