SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    LWRC quality still up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LWRC quality still up? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I seem to recall reading some time ago that Remington/Freedom Group got its grubby paws on LWRC. Have they been able to retain the quality that I always heard they have?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I heard they were for sale a couple years ago but to my knowledge, nothing transpired.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Really? A deal separate from being bought buy Freedom Group?

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Really? A deal separate from being bought buy Freedom Group?

yeah, I believe Colt was trying to buy them.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Looks like they were bought my MaTech
http://www.stardem.com/news/ar...c4-3f2bb4e3c0c8.html

I dont think I could stomach it if they had been bought by FG.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I guess I was wrong, I’m sure FG was looking at them...I thought the deal was done though. Glad to hear it didn’t go through.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Warpig’s article is dated 2009, I bought a new one just about 2 years ago now, which means it was from the new ownership. Mine has never had any issues and eats anything I feed it. I got the M6 SPR. The only offputting thing about mine is you can’t swap the upper and turn my 5.56 into 300 BLK or 6.8 SPC as I thought I might. The magwell is apparently not compatible or so Support told me at one time.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that, and good to talk to you jbcummings! You are right about the 6.8, at least LWRC 6.8 guns. There’s nothing to keep you from popping the 300Blk upper of your choice on the LWRC lower though. Good to hear yours is running well. If I had my choice I’d look at a 14” barrel (SBR). The only options I see are for an approximately 14.5” barrel with a pinned brake.

posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a LWRC DI and couldn't be happier, fit and finish is as good as some other rifles that I have that cost double and in some cases has better features. In the current market I truly believe that the DI carbine is the best off the shelf carbine for the price.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I've got a LWRC Six8 piston AR. Great quality too. But I prefer DI gas AR.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Dry-fly...It’s probably been a year since I was out there, but S.A.W. out in Sunnyvale carried LWRC SBRs. Now I “think” the only thing that was being offered at the time were 10” and 12(?)” models. New and premium priced, but available unless something has changed.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
The real question is, why are you straying from the DD camp?

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
The real question is, why are you straying from the DD camp?

Is that question for me, Warpig? Razz I haven’t given up on Daniel Defense..I still have a DD sbr. I have branched out though and really like my 11.5” BCM. As far as LWRC goes, I have been impressed by their AR’s for quite awhile. Originally I wanted a SIX8, but budget cuts shot that idea down. I don’t need a third 10 to 11” AR, a 16” would be huge, but a 14” LWRC piston gun would be sweet!

posted Hide Post
I just spent 30 minutes carefully typing a response to the the 14.5" LWRC piston upper. The this $%&^*@#!! site crashed upon posting, I lost everything. Maybe I'll try to rewrite the post tomorrow, but I'm too pissed about the wasted time right now.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I just spent 30 minutes carefully typing a response to the the 14.5" LWRC piston upper. The this $%&^*@#!! site crashed upon posting, I lost everything. Maybe I'll try to rewrite the post tomorrow, but I'm too pissed about the wasted time right now.

I don't think it's the site.

Respectfully: A lot of things can go wrong between your keyboard and this server.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the effort Fritz!

posted Hide Post
It’s always possible my internet provider dropped the ball. However, I was streaming Sirius XM radio at the time and it didn’t skip a beat.

I won an LWRC 14.5” 1/7 twist pinned upper in a rifle match last year. I considered selling it, but decided to keep it for high-volume carbine shooting – say training, courses, and 3-gun-type competitions. This past year I’ve concentrated more on precision shooting, thus the LWRC upper does not yet have all that much volume on it.

The upper seems well built. Even with a fluted barrel, it’s not light by any means. It feels solid, balances well, and has functioned flawlessly. It has a cheese grater quad rail. I prefer my slimmer Wilson Combat TRIM rails.

Accuracy so far is decent, but not up to the level set by my Wilson Combat 16” 1/9 twist upper. Part of this may be optics – the LWRC has a 1-4x Vortex, the Wilson has a 1.5-5x Leupold. The LWRC shoots SMK 69 loads the best and does well with Hornady 75 HPBT. Interestingly, it’s only so-so with SMK 77 loads. It also doesn’t seem to care much for Hornady 50/55/60 Vmax ammo. I find this strange, as Vmax shoots great in every upper I have, regardless of twist and barrel length. Maybe I just need more time with the LWRC.

The recoil pulse of the piston LWRC is slightly harsher than any of my other DI guns. I judge this by how easy it is keep the reticle on target during the recoil cycle. I do like how easy it is to clean a piston’s BCG, especially when suppressed.

I had my ‘smith remove the LWRC’s pinned FH, so now it’s an SBR upper, reserved for my SBR lower – the lower I use with my 16” Wilson upper. I use a Surefire SOCOM can on both. The 16” Wilson is slightly quieter suppressed, so there’s something about shorter barrels being louder. The LWRC must be a fast barrel, as its muzzle velocity is almost the same as that from the 16” Wilson. This is a pleasant surprise, as my ballistic tables should be close enough for both uppers.

I’ve shot 2-3 MOA steel out to 500 yards with the LWRC. It does fine, but I’m not the best with it yet. The 1-4x glass isn’t optimal for such distances. In its current configuration, the upper is probably best for 300 yards and in, and that’s fine for its intended use. My 16” Wilson fluted barrel is getting long in the tooth. When throat erosion kills it, on goes a non-fluted 1/8 twist, mid-length 16” barrel. And likely a 2-10x optic. All this means the LWRC with 1-4x glass will definitely become my shorter range carbine.

Overall, my LWRC is a good upper and I like it. I seriously doubt I would have purchased one, but winning it was cool.

I suspect I forgot something from yesterday. If it comes back to me, I will re-post.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for all that info, Fritz. The LWRC, if bought, would serve as a close to mid range shooter. I seriously doubt I could hit anything out past 350yds...but the capability is nice. As mentioned, I have two 11.5” SBR’s already. A 16” just seems like a yardstick after handling the shorter two AR’s. 14.7” seems like it would fit the bill because it’s still going to be suppressed occasionally

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz: The 16” Wilson is slightly quieter suppressed, so there’s something about shorter barrels being
louder.

I suspect this may have something to do with the piston itself. The piston will vent some "noise" at the gas block as all of the hot gas that is passing through gets discharged at the piston head. Energy conversion to the piston rod is not 100%. Some of it is going to come out as air vibrations = noise.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LDD -- good point. I didn't think about that.